SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 12-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #1
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Ignition lock cylinder replacement

Original stopped starting the car. If turning the key still powers the accessories, could anything be done to fully revive or repair the original? Maybe cleaning it somehow?

If not, this is the one I purchased..

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 20869121 Uncoded Ignition Lock Cylinder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q1BF3W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It didn't come any keys so I'm assuming I just need to insert the key and properly add the tumblers and springs? It also came with a round piece that kinda houses, or rather goes around the cylinder. Do I need any parts from the original? Here's a pic of the original and replacement side by side

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211216-163448_Gallery.jpg (79.7 KB, 8 views)
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2021, 07:38 AM   #2
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Ignition lock cylinder replacement

Well, does anyone know where I can get a replacement for one of these?

https://ibb.co/1LDgf9n
https://ibb.co/B321z5Z
https://ibb.co/RgCMxh1
https://ibb.co/ZT8wvxV

It's a security chip under my steering column needed for the car to start. It got corroded somehow and I think it's the reason my ignition lock cylinder won't start the engine. Or, if someone knows how to bypass it?
Old 12-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did the two replies in your other post help? As you may or may not know, the ignition lock cylinder is for mechanically locking the steering wheel. If the lock cylinder wears out and jams, preventing turning the ignition key from OFF to any other positions then the lock cylinder is addressed as a repair. However, if the lock cylinder turns and you're having difficulty starting from either factory Passlock being enabled and actively disabling the starting circuit sand/or the aftermarket security system is preventing starting, the ignition switch behind the lock cylinder may be one of several problems. The ignition switch has a history of triggering Passlock activation (flashing security and disabling the starting circuit) as covered in past threads with ignition switch replaced as part of a recall or done individually as needed. The ignition switch, separate from the lock cylinder, is replaceable to address Ion Passlock issues when random Passlock activation occurs.

As mentioned in my reply in the other thread, you'll need to determine which security system is preventing you from starting.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Sorry, I never got notifications of those responses, or even yours here. Just happened to refresh the page. Usually do get notified, don't know what happened. Checking other thread now

Thanks!