saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2
Default Re: A deer hit my car!

Isnt the Fall, mating season. The bucks are just plain stupid at this time of the year. I like to follow Big Rigs when driving at night, as they can be my deer plow.
92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
GeekOnTheHill
GeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
I subscribe to the Ron White theory on deer. If you could shoot at them using bullets with two tiny headlights, a blaring horn and only traveling 60 mph, you'd hit them a lot more often. :drool

Try KC Masterpiece, mesquite wood and a slow cooker..... if you don't subscribe to dry rub BBQ over hickory wood.

Again, glad you're OK.
Thank you.

I picked up a fender from the junky. $100.00, cash and carry, pre-pulled. I've seen them for a bit less on the interwebz, but when you factor in the shipping, local was a better deal. Besides, a good junky's a good asset to have, and this guy's not bad. His prices tend to be a tad high, but he's never given me the wrong part.

Other than having a red pinstripe on the aft portion (which some sandpaper, some masking tape, and a bit of spray paint will fix when the weather's a bit warmer), the replacement fender looks fine. If I have the chance maybe I'll tackle that job tomorrow.

I also ordered two new headlight assemblies from RA. I think the less-than-wonderful lens clarity and headlight alignment contributed to my not seeing the deer in time, and the adjustment screws on the existing lights rusted away long before I bought the car.

-Richard
GeekOnTheHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #23
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Try a camel caught in razor wire....
On the perimeter...

Only humane thing to do was put it down....

We had to use chainsaws to take it apart,
it was so caught in the razor wire...
2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W-30, Champion COS3600...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #24
ohioguy98
ohioguy98 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue92 View Post
I like to follow Big Rigs when driving at night, as they can be my deer plow.
That doesn't always help. I was on the interstate behind a tractor trailer one night when the truck suddenly swerved. Before I had time to wonder why, a deer came bounding in a zig zag from the right emergency lane and onto the roadway. The truck just missed him, but I almost got him. I swerved too, and the deer bounded in between us, into the median, and disappeared in the darkness. I've never hit one (yet), but that was one of the closest calls I've had.

I also had a couple of close calls with moose and a buffalo on my way to Alaska, and a full grown elk out west, or at least I think it was an elk. It was pitch dark on a 65 mph two lane in the middle of nowhere in northern AZ, and suddenly my headlights reflected off of two yellow eyes attached to what looked like a deer on steroids coming up out of the ditch. He changed direction as I swerved, and I still don't know where it went or how I missed it. I never got a good look at it so I'm still not sure what it was. My impression was that it was deer-like, only a lot bigger. Whatever it was, it would have done some serious damage.
ohioguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #25
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioguy98 View Post
...Whatever it was, it would have done some serious damage.
Yes. Yes it would have...
1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Syracuse":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #26
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Sad Re: A deer hit my car!

Quote:
Try a camel caught in razor wire....
On the perimeter...
Oh my, that had to be very traumatic for everyone involved.

Quote:
My impression was that it was deer-like, only a lot bigger. Whatever it was, it would have done some serious damage.
Larger moose and elk, having bodies that are right about windshield height, have been known to remove the windshield and part of the roof when hit at speed. The occupants of the car will not fare well to say the least.
DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #27
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Larger moose and elk, having bodies that are right about windshield height, have been known to remove the windshield and part of the roof when hit at speed. The occupants of the car will not fare well to say the least.
It's not that they are windshield height but rather when hit the moose you knock the legs out from underneath them and the mass of them lands on the windshield and roof.

As far as moose go, if you encounter one on the road, it is recommended that you swerve to go around the back end of them rather then the front. That way, if you do hit the moose, the back end does not have as much mass as the front and you're more likely to survive.
1999 SL2 MT (299,400 km @ 11/2021)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #28
GeekOnTheHill
GeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the rough

Repair's all done. Took me about two hours, but I was running in and out of the house checking email, sending invoices, etc. while I was working.

I also removed the red pinstripes from the new / used fender. Turns out they were decals. A little lamp oil (basically deodorized kerosene) softened them enough that I could scrape them off easily.

RA shipped the headlights today, so probably I'll change those later this week.

-Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1119131346.jpg (82.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Now you see it.....now you don't! Very nice.
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

Old 11-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #30
GeekOnTheHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Now you see it.....now you don't! Very nice.
Thank you.

-Richard
Old 11-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #31
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOnTheHill View Post
I was thinking about those whistles. I may go buy some now.
actually with my experience with deer whistles, I still got slammed in the side. (just ripped the mirror off, no big deal. but bambi didn't have the common courtesy to just drop dead so it can end up on my dinner table )

next day in class, I ripped those darn things off and threw em in the trash.
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #32
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: A deer hit my car!

I still say that the body of a moose is just at the right height to be "guided" straight into your windshield.
But..... that's definitely good advice on which end to hit if you simply must do so. Thanks.

As for deer whistles, I have noticed over the years that they seem to notice me earlier.
They hesitate long enough that I have been able to take evasive action (so far).
Or hit the horn or call for an air strike, or whatever.
They do seem to buy me a little bit of precious reaction time.
But no, they don't cause the deer to flee in terror or anything like that.
So if Bambi really wants to take off your side mirrors, whistles won't stop it from happening.

Loud pipes, a bright headlight, whistles and a horn didn't stop me from hitting a bobcat a couple of months ago.
I'm thinking that it was clinically depressed and committed suicide.
DIYguy

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX
Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
I still say that the body of a moose is just at the right height to be "guided" straight into your windshield.
But..... that's definitely good advice on which end to hit if you simply must do so. Thanks.
Well, we both might be right on this one. Here's a good article on the subject....http://www.autos.ca/auto-tech/northe...-car-vs-moose/.

...and another with photos ..... http://www.ontario-outfitters.ca/car...-collision.htm

I found lots of interesting images on Google. I especially like the one with the live moose sitting in the passenger seat...

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #34
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Funny and interesting. The 'higher' the level of intelligence, the more likely an animal is to commit suicide.

It is weird how animals react to cars. I think it has more to do with animals not having an understanding of roads. "Gee the car has never bothered me before, why this time?" Because you are on the road, you dumb critter!
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 11/12/20: 78,895 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #35
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I'm seeing the deer far enough in advance with high-beams on to have plenty of reaction time...even at 65mph (well over what the road is marked for...). Sure, I slow down afterward for a few miles but unlike everyone else (especially the panicky pricks in 4x4 trucks) I'm still doing near the speed limit rather than a quarter of it.

Only time I've hit/been hit by a deer I was in a '97 SC1, with the "higher technology/better" headlights. Never saw it coming until it was 3ft from the road, had enough time to swerve so it cracked the fender and left a ton of hair wedged into the tire bead when it killed itself.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #36
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:

As for deer whistles, I have noticed over the years that they seem to notice me earlier.
They hesitate long enough that I have been able to take evasive action (so far).
Or hit the horn or call for an air strike, or whatever.
They do seem to buy me a little bit of precious reaction time.
But no, they don't cause the deer to flee in terror or anything like that.
So if Bambi really wants to take off your side mirrors, whistles won't stop it from happening.

Loud pipes, a bright headlight, whistles and a horn didn't stop me from hitting a bobcat a couple of months ago.
A moose is no joking matter, nor is a deer if you hit it hard. I once saw a deer somehow clear the lanes on 495 around DC, to jump over the median barrier and light shield strips to land in oncoming traffic that had no time to repond. Wasted a couple cars bouncing off hoods and windshields before it was caught by a semi tractor. Not pretty at all.

As for moose, no real close encounters in a vehicle myself. Just for the record though I can ensure everyone that exclaiming "Oh S&*%!" when on foot and within a few feet of a large moose will do nothing to help you, other than to possibly ensure you are breathing. Been there.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #37
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2
Roll Eyes Re: A deer hit my car!

Wow, those are positively frightening photos.
I hope the occupants of the cars escaped without major injuries, but frankly it doesn't look like it.

The Volvo photo with the moose/elk cutout says it all for me.
The body of the beast is at the right height that the sloped noses of "S" cars like ours would act as a ramp and guide it directly into the windshield.

Quote:
Funny and interesting. The 'higher' the level of intelligence, the more likely an animal is to commit suicide.
Or perhaps it thought I was 800 pounds of dinner on two wheels.
DIYguy

Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #38
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
The Volvo photo with the moose/elk cutout says it all for me.
The body of the beast is at the right height that the sloped noses of "S" cars like ours would act as a ramp and guide it directly into the windshield.
I somehow don't think that Volvo photo with the cutout is not scaled to a full size moose. Here's a better photo to show scale. Keep in mind that this is a full size SUV (Ford Expedition I think) and an S-Series would impact lower. The photos in the other article are of a juvenile moose or otherwise known as a calf.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #39
GeekOnTheHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
I'm seeing the deer far enough in advance with high-beams on to have plenty of reaction time...even at 65mph (well over what the road is marked for...). Sure, I slow down afterward for a few miles but unlike everyone else (especially the panicky pricks in 4x4 trucks) I'm still doing near the speed limit rather than a quarter of it.

Only time I've hit/been hit by a deer I was in a '97 SC1, with the "higher technology/better" headlights. Never saw it coming until it was 3ft from the road, had enough time to swerve so it cracked the fender and left a ton of hair wedged into the tire bead when it killed itself.
As I mentioned earlier, I've ordered new headlights for my 01 SC1 because the existing ones are in poor condition. But frankly, I don't consider the headlight design itself to be one of the best features of the car. It doesn't provide enough lateral illumination, in my opinion.

I'm pondering supplemental lighting. Going with OEM fog lights is one option, and the one that would fit best; but I'm not sure what kind of beam pattern they have. Any insight on this?

Another option would be long-throw halogen driving lights, if I can find a set small enough. I'd prefer mounting them where the factory lights would go, which would mean fabricating some sort of bracket. I don't think mounting them on the plastic would work out well, even with a metal backing plate. I think it would be too brittle.

-Richard

Last edited by GeekOnTheHill; 11-20-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #40
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2
Happy Re: A deer hit my car!

After running over the bobcat I decided to upgrade the lighting on the bike.
I now have a pair of painfully bright LED DRLs just under the headlamp housing.

I am thinking of doing the same for the SC2 actually.
They would physically replace the factory fog lights.
People misinterpret my having defeated the DRLs on the SC2 (literally 20 minutes after I bought it) for me not liking them.
Not true. I just don't like my expensive halogen high beams being used for that purpose or the energy they consume, even in series.
My LED lights only run about 2.5 watts each and run dead cold.
They are also blue-white as opposed to yellowish.
Big difference.
They will get your attention, and hopefully that of any deer as well.
DIYguy