SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
warlik50
warlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Which used car to get, SL2 or SC2

Hello, this is my first post in the S-series section, I own a 2001 V6 L300.

I'm very interested in the S series cars and am deciding upon getting either the SL2 or SC2. Hopefully you guys can help me choose between which might be better for my needs.

From what I've read the SL2 is lighter but also slightly bigger than the SC2, could anyone confirm this? Also, presuming that the SL2 is lighter, does that mean that it is faster or has a better 0-60 and fuel efficiency?

Looks wise, I think I prefer the SC2 but if the SL2 has more "get-up-and-go" to it and better fuel efficiency then I think I have my pick.

Lastly, what are the best years for these cars? I'm definitely looking for something 1996 or later for the OBDII, but I would like opinions on the best years regarding weight, looks, fuel efficiency and speed. Also, I'm only interested in a manual transmission, but I believe both cars have this option.

I tried looking for a thread like this but haven't had much look so I made my own thread, thanks in advance for any information
"Knowledge is my soup, the internet; my straw."
"So you drink soup with a straw, eh?"
warlik50 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Which used car to get, SL2 or SC2

All the DOHC's get nearly identical (within 2mpg) fuel economy, given the same conditions. I've noticed the cops noticing me more in my SC2 than they did with a SW2, even doing the same things and the wagon being unsuspected for the entire ~8 months I owned it (made it less than a day with the SC2 even though I was on Day 1 of the 15 day window and not past a single cop while the wagon they never noticed).

I'd go with a SC2 if I don't need more than 1 passenger room more than once in a while. If you'll need more than 1 passenger fairly often, or have a baby/child's seat you'll hate having less than 4 doors.

Trunk room is the same between all the non-Wagon models.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Both cars are good, Just is your own personal preference weather you want a Coupe or a Sedan, Both cars are good though best of luck!
2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

I prefer the SC2 because of it's spritlier cornering. I also prefer the look. Good 2nd gen (1998).
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No rear doors to rot out in the SC2
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ beat me to it

I seldom carry back seat passengers. SL2 for now, will eventually sell it (in ~5 years?) and drive the SC2 because my coupe doesn't have rust at the rear doors. Probably very slight aerodynamic advantage to the SC2 though have not confirmed.

My preference is 96 or 98... 97 only if you can confirm the fuel pump has been replaced or can remember to turn the key to ON, wait a few seconds before starting. (or if you don't mind doing it yourself)

1999 puts you into the narrow head years, and possibly AIR pump as well (I wouldn't throw a 99-02 out of bed for eating crackers, just would not be my very first choice).

Though I think personally, the 3rd gen cars (00-02 SL2, 01-02 SC2) were the best looking.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
coolcat2
Advanced Member
coolcat2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
2002 SL1

The back seat in a SC2 folds down. I have hauled pvc pipe, 2x4's even a water softener! I have removed the passenger seat so many times. With the passenger seat removed and the back seat folded down. I'm amazed at the things if hauled in such a small car!!
coolcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
jesse8931
jesse8931 is a jewel in the roughjesse8931 is a jewel in the roughjesse8931 is a jewel in the roughjesse8931 is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
^ ^ ^ beat me to it

I seldom carry back seat passengers. SL2 for now, will eventually sell it (in ~5 years?) and drive the SC2 because my coupe doesn't have rust at the rear doors. Probably very slight aerodynamic advantage to the SC2 though have not confirmed.

My preference is 96 or 98... 97 only if you can confirm the fuel pump has been replaced or can remember to turn the key to ON, wait a few seconds before starting. (or if you don't mind doing it yourself)

1999 puts you into the narrow head years, and possibly AIR pump as well (I wouldn't throw a 99-02 out of bed for eating crackers, just would not be my very first choice).

Though I think personally, the 3rd gen cars (00-02 SL2, 01-02 SC2) were the best looking.
I wonder why saturn did that to the 97's.
jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse8931 View Post
I wonder why saturn did that to the 97's.
Wasn't intentional... I think they got a bad supply

Back seats of SL2 fold down as well

Back seats of SC2 have cupholders in the middle, can't put a baby seat in the middle (has to go to one side or the other). People have swapped rear seats though

Old 11-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

I have a coupe and a four door. If you park in tight spaces the four door has a shorter door and it makes it easier to get into and out of. This is of big concern to some.
2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Park farther away from the door and you will have plenty of door room.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

If I had to redo my buying decision, I would still get an SL2. IMO the pop-up headlight coupe is the only coupe that I would buy, because I'm not a fan of the looks of the other coupes

I prefer SL2s from 1996-2002. I prefer the 1996-1999 exterior design, but if I remember correctly the 2000-2002 style has cup holders in the doors
1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
jesse8931
jesse8931 is a jewel in the roughjesse8931 is a jewel in the roughjesse8931 is a jewel in the roughjesse8931 is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

If I could buy any saturn it would be a sw2 with manual trans
jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Which used car to get, SL2 or SC2

The coupe was and is my vote.

If you don't need to put anyone in the rear seats often (if ever), go with the coupe, or possibly the wagon.
The 4-door sedan seems to me to be a bit compromised for door size, seat size/position and general utility.

The coupe's wider doors really aren't a problem in parking lots, and the front access is definitely better.
If you move the seats back a few inches as I did, almost anyone will fit in and out of the front seats without being contortionists.

As someone else said, I too have carried things in the back with the rear seats folded down that you would never believe would fit.
And the trunk lid even closed on all of it!
The wagon would be just that much better in that regard.

The three door coupes (later models) are quite appealing, but I like my '97 too.

BTW, my car has the fuel pump check valve flaw.
I turn on the key, fasten my seat belt, and start it.
That's more than enough time for it to prime.
It starts on the first try 99+% of the time.
It's just a habit you get into.
I'll change the pump out someday.....
I'm really not concerned about it.

I'd buy my '97 SC2 again.
DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

if it's just you, yourself and well, you (with the occassional friend or roomie/girlfriend) I'd get an SC2. Otherwise get a SL2. And yes, both configurations did come with a manual.

As for better years, keep in mind that 1996 and 1997 use a return fuel system and the '97s take a few extra seconds to prime before it runs. 1998-2002 are returnless systems and the regulator is in the fuel filter.
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #16
warlik50
warlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

WOW! I never expected this many comments in such a short time (I've only ever posted in the L-Series section.

I am pretty sold on the SC2 (as apparently most of you are too)

Mostly its just me and 1 passenger so I certainly don't "need" the ease of access in the backseats.

I think I like the 2nd and 3rd gen looks of the coupes the best. If I'm correct the 2nd gen starts from 96 to 99 and then 3rd gen is 00-02 right?

Is there anything I should be worried about concerning the 97-99 2nd gen coupes? I think I remember one poster mentioned something about the fuel pump, more information on possible issues would be wonderful, again thank you guys so much for the fast comments!
"Knowledge is my soup, the internet; my straw."
"So you drink soup with a straw, eh?"
warlik50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 97 has a generic fuel pump defect with the pump check valve that allows the fuel system to bleed down so starting requires waiting for the prime cycle to complete.

The 99 is a transition year as is the 96 to a lesser extent which makes information and parts interchange more difficult.That leaves the 97 and 98. The fuel pump is not a big deal so consider them as equivalent.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlik50 View Post
WOW! I never expected this many comments in such a short time (I've only ever posted in the L-Series section.
The S-series forum is pretty active (and opinionated )
Quote:
If I'm correct the 2nd gen starts from 96 to 99 and then 3rd gen is 00-02 right?
I think the 2nd gen coupe body style is 97-00. The 1996 coupe still had the flip up headlights and gen 1 exterior but was OBD II with gen 2 interior. Not sure which interior the 2000 coupe had.
Quote:
I think I remember one poster mentioned something about the fuel pump, more information on possible issues would be wonderful, again thank you guys so much for the fast comments!
The fuel pump issue is realy not a big deal, just something to be aware of.... I said only if it was changed OR you can remember to wait a few seconds to start the car after turning the key to ON (what DIYguy mentioned, using those seconds to buckle up, is how a lot of people do it. If you have signatures on, you'll see a '97 coupe in my sig as well

I mention remembering to wait, because my wife does not remember things like that and would kill the starter before she remembered I didn't have a problem buying my '97 because it's a manual trans, which she won't drive

Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is the 95 that has the gen-2 interior in a gen-1 body, the 96 is all gen-2. The 96 electrical is a bit different so that can cause some confusion when swapping parts. The 97 and 98 are comparable for the most part. The 99 has the first year of the narrow head engine and aluminum intake.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It is the 95 that has the gen-2 interior in a gen-1 body, the 96 is all gen-2. The 96 electrical is a bit different so that can cause some confusion when swapping parts. The 97 and 98 are comparable for the most part. The 99 has the first year of the narrow head engine and aluminum intake.
Are you talking coupes or sedans/wagons? I though the coupe was delayed a year like alordofchaos eluded to. New body style in 97 and again in 2001.
1999 SL2 MT (299,400 km @ 11/2021)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote