SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Clear coat damage on spoiler

I took my car into Saturn for servicing today, and when I got it back I noticed the clear coat was chipping on the spoiler. I could swear it wasn't like that before I brought it in! Is it possible they did something that caused that? I know there's no way to know for sure, but that would suck.

Oh well, that car needs some work, and is starting to be more trouble than it's worth. With 180k miles, it isn't worth a whole lot, so it won't take much for repairs to exceed the value of the car. I think I'm going to start looking at used cars, since I don't want to take on a new car loan right now.

Here's what the spoiler damage looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p5030144reduced.jpg (56.4 KB, 152 views)
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
splat
splat is on a distinguished road

that couldn't have happened in one day...look it's oxidizing, if you're thinking of trying to get something for it, i hope you have a really good lawyer, because otherwise they can tell...

before you bring the car in, they usually check it for damages anyways, they know their legality stance, so don't bother...anywho, most people will tell you that definately does not look fresh!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:39 AM   #3
IONicSaturn
Advanced Member
IONicSaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Clear coat damage on spoiler

Quote:
Originally posted by VTHOKIE97SL2
I took my car into Saturn for servicing today, and when I got it back I noticed the clear coat was chipping on the spoiler. I could swear it wasn't like that before I brought it in! Is it possible they did something that caused that? I know there's no way to know for sure, but that would suck.

Oh well, that car needs some work, and is starting to be more trouble than it's worth. With 180k miles, it isn't worth a whole lot, so it won't take much for repairs to exceed the value of the car. I think I'm going to start looking at used cars, since I don't want to take on a new car loan right now.

Here's what the spoiler damage looks like:
My friend's '97 SC2 has some oxidation like that on the spoiler. It's not chipping, but it is faded. The roof rails on my SL1 were also kind of faded like that too, but they weren't chipping either. They had been like that for quite a while, and no wax could make it glossy again. So, since it was already faded, I decided to put some Armor All on it to see what it would do. It would the rails nice and glossy until it was washed off in the rain or the next car wash.
Mike

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
2005 Saturn L300
1999 Dodge Durango SLT
Old 05-04-2004, 04:29 AM   #4
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by splat
that couldn't have happened in one day...look it's oxidizing, if you're thinking of trying to get something for it, i hope you have a really good lawyer, because otherwise they can tell...
No, I wouldn't have bothered even if I thought they did something. I was just wondering...it may have happened over time, but I can tell you that it didn't start to look that bad until quite recently. While I'm sure it's been happening over time, maybe it just became noticeable after all the rain recently.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:44 AM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Thats "age" not freash damage. If you wish, a body shop could probably repair that relatively inexpensively. It WILL slowly get worse if not attended to. (Sorry)
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 05-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Eh, it's probably not worth it at this point. I might try to keep the car until it hits 200k miles, but I don't plan to keep it longer than that.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2
Sad

When I got my '94 SC-2, the paint on th spoiler had oxidized. Took it to a good body shop, they got the color code from the inside driver's door, removed the spoiler, and painted it. I got to keep driving while they did it, it cost $75, and it was a perfect match. That pretty well sums up what you can do to fix it.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

I've got the same damage to my spoiler. It's worse than that, and when I waxed it, it looked even worse. Car has 213,000 miles on it.
1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6
Old 07-22-2004, 02:49 AM   #9
stratfink
stratfink is on a distinguished road

My 93 Saturn SL2's spoiler and roof have oxidation on it and I only have 61,000 miles. I am debating on getting it touched up. Would anyone suggest if it is worth doing and should it be done at a body shop?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #10
ExNihilo
ExNihilo is on a distinguished road

The spoiler is always the first thing to go as far as clearcoat peeling is concerned. Its more flexible than the normal car body parts, so the paint there gets the most stress.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:28 PM   #11
angelnut
angelnut is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Idea

Ok, since this I have been working on my 94 SC2's finish a little, I found something that made a major improvement in my cars finish.
When I bought my car, the hood, front and rear bumpers and top rear quarter on passenger side were all completely faded. And I do mean faded! Badly!
Take a look at my uploaded pictures in the gallery. There are before pics of it when the hood was nasty looking and pics of it currently as time allows me to work on it.
I figured if doing it by hand gave me such quick results, why not use an orbital buffer right? Sooo, hopefully this week I can manage the time to use it and work on those nasty faded bumpers this week.

You may be able to improve that spoiler, even if it is only a little.... but some is better than none. And if your damage is oxidation...then chances are you can rub most of it out...if I can get a completely flat red hood shining within 30 minutes...chances are good that it may help your spoiler.....mine on the other hand is beyond help...my clear coat has peeled. But that is a later project.
Lori
Evans, Colorado
Red 94 SC2
225,??? miles as of Dec. 3, 2006
Old 07-25-2004, 09:47 PM   #12
LUNCHBOX
LUNCHBOX will become famous soon enough

1993 SW2
1993 SC1

The spoilers on ALL Saturns of any age will lose their clearcoat. It is quite common on older Saturns. I see it all the time on cars that come on for service, not to mention all the cars that I see at the junkyard. Once the clearcoat starts to peel nothing short of sanding and repainting will help it. The paint guy who does all of our lot touch-ups and used car repairs charges very good prices for good work. He charges about $45.00 to do a wing (factory matched, he did the front nose clip for my 93) on any car.
1993 SC1.5 - 1993SW2
Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 AM   #13
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally posted by VTHOKIE97SL2
Eh, it's probably not worth it at this point. I might try to keep the car until it hits 200k miles, but I don't plan to keep it longer than that.
If you decide to sell it rather than trade it in, keep me in mind. I'm looking for an inexpensive high mileage sx2 project to take on to replace our 94 SL1. The SL1 has over 200k on it, but it has so much interior wear and body damage that it isn't really worthy of spending anything money wise on. Do you by any chance have any other pictures of the car? I like the way the SL2's of that generation look in red.
2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)
Old 07-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #14
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

The front of my 97 sc2 was beginning to lose the clearcoat at about 94,000 miles. The spoiler didn't seem to have any problems.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:18 AM   #15
purepwrSL2
purepwrSL2 is on a distinguished road

My plum satty rear spoiler starts lose at mere 52,000 ,, maybe less than that , forgot which ones ,, anyway its going to be 11 yrs old this fall since i bought new. the clearcoat of the rest of body are good shape . its only the rear spoiler has its peeled. Anyway im not upset and stills enjoys driving my satty.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:38 AM   #16
sc2gurl
sc2gurl is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

I have a '95, and my spoiler was like that. Now I don't have much clearcoat left on the spoiler. I think it is a flaw in the paint.
Closed Thread