SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-11-2022, 06:03 AM   #21
agentclank777
agentclank777 is a jewel in the roughagentclank777 is a jewel in the roughagentclank777 is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: Poor Headlight Performance

I will look into restoring my housings and re-sealing them. Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.
agentclank777 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2022, 05:22 PM   #22
C52
C52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2

It would appear most are unaware of the aftermarket headlight housing replacements being offered currently on Rock auto and likely elsewhere, for my 97 only about $60 for both saves both the cost of clear coat and supplies and results in a like new housing both inside and out.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=10762&jsn=791
C52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:54 PM   #23
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

I know I'm gonna sound like I'm beating a dead horse here, but try to find out of those aftermarket housings are clear-coated as well. Most aftermarket companies (the majority of which are China based knock-offs) don't clear-coat the housings to save money. I'd be leery of that price for those housings, the new housings I got for my Silverado in 2019 didn't have any clear coat and they were about the same price. I confirmed this with reviews left by other sellers, so I sealed them up before I even put them on, still crystal clear to this day.

I found this out a few times when replacing headlight housings for friends, one of which was on a Grand Am. He needed a new driverside housing and it started to yellow after only a year. It was only a couple years after that I started finding out WHY this happens.

I would assume that with the age of our SL series and similar that no company is making high quality housings, let alone spending the extra on clear coats, but I could be wrong.

As long as the chrome is still good inside and they aren't getting moisture in them, it's almost cheaper just to sand them down and reseal them with the clear coat, but I wouldn't disagree with anyone that says shiny new housings make the car look extra nice
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:26 PM   #24
C52
C52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the roughC52 is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
I know I'm gonna sound like I'm beating a dead horse here, but try to find out of those aftermarket housings are clear-coated as well.
I found the same headlight assembly referenced above from Rock auto at Oreilly for almost double the price, here is the technical information copied from that page:

Product Information

Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty
Unit of Measure: Each
UPC: # 762405606781
Housing Material: Plastic
Lens Color: Clear
Bulb Type: Halogen
Lens Material: Plastic
SAE/DOT Compliant: Yes
Bulb Included: Yes

Application for Your Vehicle

Headlight Assembly: Passenger Side; Wagon; Halogen Type
Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

Detailed Description
Headlight Assembly;

Features

FMVSS-108 compliant, meets or exceeds DOT/SAE standards for photometry and safety
OE-comparable fasteners and mounting tabs for precise fitment and hassle-free installation
Rigorous laboratory endurance cycling tests ensure quality and durability
Special coating on headlights' lens surface to prevent hazing and fading from the Sun's UV light; ensures proper illumination and safety for years

Brand Information
TYC, with close to 30 years in the OE and Automotive Aftermarket, manufacturers and supplies premium aftermarket replacement parts. Throughout all these years, TYC has built a reputation of high quality products that meet customers' expectations of fit, form and function. TYC's products include: Replacement Exterior Lamp Assemblies, Side View Mirrors, Cooling & HVAC products (Cooling Fans, Condensers, Radiators, Blower Assemblies, Cabin Air Filters, Evaporators, Heater Cores, Intercoolers), Rotating Electrics (Starters & Alternators), Window Regulators and Fuel Pumps.

Oreilly page here: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...ufacturer=true
C52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:59 AM   #25
HerryBill
HerryBill is on a distinguished road

If you want your headlights to be brighter, I recommend you to use AUXITO LED headlight bulbs. I have switched my headlights to LEDs and the difference was huge. The lights are brighter, whiter and have the correct beam pattern. Give plenty of sight to the near and out to the sides as well beyond the normal left and right limit of the low beams. I'm very pleased with the light these LEDs put out.
HerryBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #26
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerryBill View Post
If you want your headlights to be brighter, I recommend you to use AUXITO LED headlight bulbs. I have switched my headlights to LEDs and the difference was huge. The lights are brighter, whiter and have the correct beam pattern. Give plenty of sight to the near and out to the sides as well beyond the normal left and right limit of the low beams. I'm very pleased with the light these LEDs put out.
HerryBill, just to make sure, are you a bot or a real person? Seems sus to have a one-post account and it's specifically advertising something.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:00 PM   #27
HerryBill
HerryBill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
HerryBill, just to make sure, are you a bot or a real person? Seems sus to have a one-post account and it's specifically advertising something.
No man, just want to offer some help, and I did replace my headlights with these LED bulbs, and they work well right now. I will find some ways to post some pics
HerryBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:28 AM   #28
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Tell us about your S Series!
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:31 PM   #29
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerryBill View Post
No man, just want to offer some help, and I did replace my headlights with these LED bulbs, and they work well right now. I will find some ways to post some pics
No prob, was just checking, the forum gets a lot of bots advertising things when they're created that same day.

I'm curious about those lights now, I'ma check 'em out.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #30
Rust02945
Rust02945 is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentclank777 View Post
I have a 1995 SL2 and was hoping someone knows where I can find a projector housing upgrade or something to make the headlights more like the light of these new cars I see on the road. I already installed 35W HID bulbs in the high beams which helped some but the spread and distance of the light is still pretty disappointing on dark roads. I have considered switching to 55W HID bulbs as they have more light output but am not sure it will actually help. I would greatly appreciate any input or suggestions on the matter, different bulbs, fog lights, links, etc.

1995 Saturn SL2 226K Miles, Just a little smoky [De-Catted]
LED upgrade for low beams

There are some LED manufacturers that have end cut offs to avoid scattering or blinding in reflector housings. + 60W led's run cooler than halogens.
Fahren comes to mind as one of those GOOD led headlight manufacturers. Running a couple in my sw2.

Dont forget to align those LED's so the cutoff works properly and you dont blind drivers at night.

Like the other posters said, check the reflector chrome and make sure it isnt melting bubbling or scorched.
Rust02945 is offline   Reply With Quote