SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Kettir
Kettir is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Key wouldn't go into lock - expensive repair???

Last summer I starting having problems getting the key into the ignition on my 2002 SL1 (at that time it had approximately 60,000 miles on it.) I took it to the local Saturn dealer. They said it was "probably shavings from the key inside the lock cylinder and it would need to be replaced". A $150 repair so I said, OK. Then they came back and said "We can't get the lock cylinder out of the ignition cylinder housing so it's going to be $500 because you'll have to replace the ignition cylinder housing too."

My question is--is this reasonable? At the time I didn't question it. Now I'm reading that quite a few people are having trouble with the ignition/key area. Some find their steering column locks up, which hasn't happened to me (yet). Others report problems getting their key OUT of the ignition. I couldn't get mine INTO the ignition.

And so now I am wondering if I was taken for a ride, so to speak. Shouldn't the Saturn dealer shop have been able to get the ignition cylinder housing off without making me buy a new one? Any advice would be appreciated.
Kettir is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Key wouldn't go into lock - expensive repair???

The cylinder is about 30 bucks or so and the housing in around 40 bucks. Actually it is not that hard to change yourself if you are replacing them. There is two anti theft bolts (heads shear off) holding housing in. You need to cut or grind out the head stubs to remove housing if heads wring off or are missing. I think 500 is a bit pricey for this. 200 to 250 or so would be more reasonable. BTW, you need to be able to get key in and in accessory position to remove cylinder normally.
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Replacing the housing is VERY labor intensive (replacing the cylinder is not) While $500 may seem high, this is about a 3 hour job even with the proper tools.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Replacing the housing is VERY labor intensive (replacing the cylinder is not) While $500 may seem high, this is about a 3 hour job even with the proper tools.

With a high speed cutter or die grinder you can make very short work of this and spend more time removing and replacing the fairings around steering column than removing housing. If you do not have the right tools though it can be a pain. I still think 500 bucks is out of line because a dealer could have correct tools to make short work of it if they wanted too.
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
tmaugham
tmaugham is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1997 SW2

Slightly OT (sorry about that) but how do you remove the lock cylinder on a 1999?

Thanks,
Tom
tmaugham is offline   Reply With Quote