SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay Tech

Old 01-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
service
service is on a distinguished road

Dizzy relay remote start

any one installed after-market remote start on a 05 relay,with no security light coming on?
service is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: relay remote start

I have yet to put one on a Relay. The error I have seen most people make on other similiar PASSLOCK vehicles I have seen is the use of the WRONG BYPASS MODULE. Basically, there are two versions available, the first is a simple one wire hook up that connects to the OBD2 connector wire (Usually the PURPLE? wire) and "learns" the code when the car is started with the key, duplicating it when the remote starter is used. With this module the car WILL remote start, BUT you WILL GET a security light.

The second type of module connects AT THE IGNITION SWITCH with two wires. It also "learns" the code when the car is started with the key and duplicates it when remote started, with one MAJOR DIFFERENCE. It does it at the IGNITION SWITCH. Which fools the BCM into "thinking" that the KEY HAS ACTUALLY BEEN INSERTED AND TURNED in the ignition.

I have yet to install the module that connects at the IGNITION SWITH on ANY CAR that had a problem (security light or otherwise) I HAVE seen other cars with the ONE WIRE module behave as you describe. (Starts but "SECURITY" light comes on and stays on until the car is shut off and actually started with the KEY....
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
bvL200
bvL200 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

i had a starter installed on my 01' L200, the security light always stayed on. also when i accidently hit the unlock key before the starter key it will not start, not even with the key. you have to put the key in the ignition for about 10 min for the car to start up. in the end i had the starter removed. but all of these problems have to do with the saturn security system. good luck!
bvL200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #4
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Relays have a transponder system. Whole diffrent bag of beans. YOu need an extra key and a special adapter.
Carmen
1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:08 AM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc791
Relays have a transponder system. Whole diffrent bag of beans. YOu need an extra key and a special adapter.
Carmen
With that system the BCM still needs to "see" a ground signal from the IGNITION LOCK (the same thing that makes the chime ring when the key is in the ignition and the door is opened) or it will set the security light. You need to fool that system (in a GM vehicle, unlike a Ford which also uses a transponder in the key) TWO ways.

1. You need the car to "think" there is actually a key in the ignition when there isn't.
2. You need to duplicate the code provided by the transponder in the key (that isn't there) to fool the car into disabling the security system and allowing the car to start and run.

Those "key hidden inside" bypass modules only do #2 on that list.

To confirm this, just stick a BLANK uncut-nontransponder key into the ignition lock and then remote start the car...bet the security light will stay out then....
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 02-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
2. You need to duplicate the code provided by the transponder in the key (that isn't there) to fool the car into disabling the security system and allowing the car to start and run.
I thought the GM PK3 keys did have a transponder in them?
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Marc1973
Marc1973 is on a distinguished road

I just read this the other day that if your original remote has a + sign on it underneath that your relay is capable of having a dealer installed OEM remote start. I will do some research tomorrow at work to confirm this. It said all the customer has to do is buy the new remote and reprogram the bcm
Marc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
wolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1973
I just read this the other day that if your original remote has a + sign on it underneath that your relay is capable of having a dealer installed OEM remote start. I will do some research tomorrow at work to confirm this. It said all the customer has to do is buy the new remote and reprogram the bcm
This IS the case with other GM cars (the Impala comes imediately to mind) you get new remotes with "extended range" as well, but all the "install" work is done at the BCM with a Tech II.

If memory serves, PASSLOCK3 does NOT have transponders in the keys (like what my 2005 VUE has) PASSLOCK4 does.

The FORD VATS system does have transponders in the keys.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #9
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
This IS the case with other GM cars (the Impala comes imediately to mind) you get new remotes with "extended range" as well, but all the "install" work is done at the BCM with a Tech II.

If memory serves, PASSLOCK3 does NOT have transponders in the keys (like what my 2005 VUE has) PASSLOCK4 does.

The FORD VATS system does have transponders in the keys.
I did some googling. Everything that I have found points to the PK3 system having passive transponders in the keys.
~D.J.~
Old 02-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #10
Marc1973
Marc1973 is on a distinguished road

I will get the original document tomorrow
Marc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #11
JPDucketts
JPDucketts is on a distinguished road

just get the fob that has the remote start button and get it programmed and it will operate the remote start
JPDucketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:51 AM   #12
wolfman

Well...the keys for my 2005 VUE do not have transponders in them. So either it does not have Passlock3, or the information on the web is wrong. It is possible, since the Relay has basically nothing in common with any other Saturn other than it's badges, that the Relay has a different passlock system than the VUE. As I have never installed a remote starter system in a Relay, or even sat in one for that matter, I cannot say 100%. I do know that the information about the bypass module, and the ignition locks on Passlock2/3/4 vehicles IS accurate.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Well...the keys for my 2005 VUE do not have transponders in them. So either it does not have Passlock3, or the information on the web is wrong. It is possible, since the Relay has basically nothing in common with any other Saturn other than it's badges, that the Relay has a different passlock system than the VUE. As I have never installed a remote starter system in a Relay, or even sat in one for that matter, I cannot say 100%. I do know that the information about the bypass module, and the ignition locks on Passlock2/3/4 vehicles IS accurate.
I thought the VUE always had Passlock II?
~D.J.~
Old 02-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
bigc791
Advanced Member

1994 SL1

vue is passlock 2. relay is passkey 3 if i remember right. its basically the same thing as Chryslers senty system
Carmen
Old 02-11-2006, 01:38 AM   #15
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

The '06 I went and drove today wasn't stamped with PK3. (Yes, the VUE is still on my list for replacements... I really like these things)
~D.J.~
Old 02-16-2006, 02:53 AM   #16
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

1) Use 2 God-given feet to walk out to Relay.

2) Open door with key and start car

3) Drive away and use money saved on cheap remote starter and wasted fuel to buy fun stuff.

4) Get better mileage, lower emissions, less wear-and-tear on crappy 3.5L V6. (The worst thing for a cold motor is to idle for a long time to warm up. Start it and go as soon as oil pressure builds up-just don't beat on it until it is warm. Your grandfather/dad/etc. was wrong)

5) Sit back and read outcries from enraged Saturnfans members to this post!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 AM   #17
wolfman

I'll have to do a bit more research to confirm this, but the FSM for the Relay implies they ALL have remote start as an OPTION OEM from the factory. It can be activated using a Tech2 Scantool. No reason at all to install an aftermarket system....

And YES all Relays are PasskeyIII
Old 02-24-2006, 12:52 AM   #18
bigc791
Advanced Member

1994 SL1

There is a certain RPO code you gotta look for. And if it doesnt have the code there is a kit you can order from GM.
Carmen
Old 03-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #19
wolfman

Sorry, it appears they do all have it...at least all the 2005's, and they can be taught A LOT of other neat tricks too!

Vehicle Personalization

Programming Features with the Driver Information Center (DIC)
To enter programming with the DIC, perform the following actions:

Turn the ignition to RUN.
Place the vehicle in PARK.
Press the Menu button on the instrument panel cluster (IPC) to enter personalization programming. The DIC will display PERSONAL PROGRAM.
If the vehicle is not in PARK the DIC will display PERSONAL PROGRAM ONLY IN PARK.
If the DIC is unable to enter personalization the DIC will display PERSONAL PROGRAM NOT AVAILABLE.
Press the Set/Reset button. The DIC will display an instruction screen showing how to navigate through the various options.

Factory Defaults
Continue with the following steps in order to reset the personalization to the factory defaults:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays FACTORY DEFAULTS.
Press the Set/Reset switch to scroll through the following choices:
• NO: Personalization will not be set to the factory defaults.

• YES: Personalization will be set to the factory defaults. The keys will have to be reset for key 1 or key 2. See PERSONALIZE KEY.

Press the Menu button while the option is displayed will select that setting and move on to the next option.

All Keys Reset
Continue with the following steps in order to personalization the all keys reset:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays ALL KEYS RESET. This option will only display if the FACTORY DEFAULTS option was set to YES.

• CANCEL: This feature will not be set to the factory default settings. The DIC will go to the FACTORY DEFAULTS option.

• OK: This feature will be set to the factory default settings. The DIC will exit the program menu. The DIC will display PERSONAL OPTIONS SAVED.

Press the Menu button while the option is displayed will select that setting and move on to the next option.

Ext Light Delay
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the delayed lighting:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays EXT LIGHT DELAY.
• OFF

• 15 SECONDS

• 30 SECONDS

• 60 SECONDS

• 90 SECONDS

Int Lights Keys Removed
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the interior lights:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays INT LIGHTS KEYS REMOVED.
• OFF: Removing the key from the ignition will turn the interior lamps on.

• ON: Removing the key from the ignition will turn the interior lamps on for 25 seconds.

Delayed Locking
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the delayed locking:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays DELAYED LOCKING.
• OFF

• ON: The locking of the vehicle's doors will be delayed by five seconds.

Content Theft
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the theft-deterrent system:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays CONTENT THEFT.
• OFF

• ON

Fob Lock Feedback
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the remote keyless entry feedback:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays FOB LOCK FEEDBACK.
• OFF

• LIGHTS

• LIGHTS and HORN

Remote Start
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the remote start:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays REMOTE START.
• OFF

• ON

Rear Park Chime
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the rear park chime on the rear parking assist:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays REAR PARK CHIME.
• OFF

• ON

Personalize Key
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize key 1 or key 2:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays PERSONALIZE KEY. If a key is already personalized, this option will not display.
• NO

• YES

Replace Key
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize key 1 or key 2:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays REPLACE KEY. This option will only display if both key 1 and key 2 have been personalized.

Radio Station Personalized
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the radio stations:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays RADIO STATION PERSONALIZED. This option will only display if the PERSONALIZE KEY option is set to YES.
Set the radio station presets.

Auto Door Lock
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the automatic door locks:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays AUTO DOOR LOCK.
• OFF: All automatic door locking is disabled.

• ON: The doors automatically lock when the doors are locked and the vehicle is shifted into DRIVE.

Auto Door Unlock
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the automatic door unlock:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays AUTO DOOR UNLOCK. This option will only display if the AUTO DOOR LOCK option is set to ON.
• OFF: None of the doors will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK.

• DRIVER: Only the driver's will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK.

• ALL: All of the doors will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK.

Auto Unlock On
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the automatic unlock:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays AUTO DOOR UNLOCK. This option will only display if the AUTO DOOR UNLOCK option is set to either DRIVER or ALL.
• KEY-OUT: The doors will unlock when the key is taken out of the ignition.

• PARK: The doors will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK.

Fob Unlock On 1st Press
Continue with the following steps in order to personalize the remote keyless unlock:

Press the menu button until the DIC displays FOB UNLOCK ON 1ST PRESS.
• DRIVER: The driver's door will unlock on the first press of the unlock button on the remote keyless entry transmitter.

• ALL: All of the doors will unlock on the first press of the unlock button on the remote keyless entry transmitter.

Exit Programming
After programming the last option the DIC will display PRESS UNLOCK SWITCH ON KEY FOB. After pressing the unlock button on the remote keyless entry, the DIC should display the message KEY FOB NOW PERSONALIZED. Next, the DIC will display PERSONAL OPTIONS SAVED. Finally, the DIC will exit out and return to the PERSONAL PROGRAM message.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #20
wolfman

From the owner's manual (It does appear you need a "special" {IE: More expensive} Remote:

Remote Vehicle Start
This feature allows you to start the engine from outside the vehicle. It may also turn the rear window defogger if the outside temperature is below 45F (7C).

Laws in some local communities may restrict the use of remote starters. For example, some laws may require a person using remote start to have the vehicle in view when doing so. Check local regulations for any requirements on remote starting of vehicles.

(Remote Vehicle Start): If your vehicle has the remote vehicle start feature, the remote keyless entry transmitter will have a button with this symbol on it.
An increased range of operation is provided with the remote keyless entry transmitter that has the remote vehicle start button.
Do not use the remote start feature if your vehicle is low on fuel. Your vehicle may run out of fuel.
To start the engine using the remote start feature, do the following:

Aim the remote keyless entry transmitter, if equipped with the remote vehicle start button, at the vehicle.
Press and release the transmitter's lock button, then immediately press and hold the remote vehicle start button until the vehicle's turn signal lamps flash, or for at least two seconds, if the vehicle's lights are not visible. The vehicle's doors will be locked.
When the vehicle's engine starts, the parking lamps will turn on and remain on while the engine is running.
After a remote start, the engine will automatically shut off after 10 minutes unless a time extension has been done or the vehicle's key is inserted into the ignition switch and turned to RUN.

The maximum number of remote starts or remote start attempts between ignition cycles with the key is two.

If the remote start procedure is used again before the first 10 minute time frame has ended, the first 10 minutes will immediately expire and the second 10 minute time frame will start.

After two remote starts have been provided, the vehicle's ignition switch must be turned to RUN and then back to LOCK using the key before the remote start procedure can be used again.

If you enter the vehicle after a remote start, and the engine is running, insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to the RUN position to drive the vehicle.

To manually shut off the engine after a remote start, do any of the following:

• Aim the remote keyless entry transmitter at the vehicle and press the remote start button until the parking lamps turn off.

• Turn on the hazard warning flashers.

• Insert the vehicle's key into the ignition switch and turn the switch to RUN and then back to LOCK.

The remote vehicle start feature will not operate if:

• The remote start system is disabled. See "REMOTE START" under DIC Vehicle Personalization .

• The vehicle's key is in the ignition.

• The vehicle's hood, liftgate or doors are not closed.

• The hazard warning flashers are on.

• There is an emission control system malfunction.

• The engine coolant temperature is too high.

• The oil pressure is low.

• Two remote vehicle starts have already been provided. The maximum number of remote starts or remote start attempts between ignition cycles with the key is two.