SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
rgk
rgk is on a distinguished road

Default MP3 circlip behind seal: right or wrong?

I removed the driver's side seal on my MP3 to swap it out, and found this circlip sticking out:

Does this look right, or is it possible it may have dislodged from its seat?
rgk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: MP3 circlip behind seal: right or wrong?

I think the ends of the ring should not be out of the groove like that. Is the rest of the ring properly seated all the way in the groove? If so, and the car has been operating fine, then I would leave that ring as-is.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
rgk

I agree. When I look at the schematic, the circlip shows as being behind the seal.

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...z/04/zz04-014/

I accidentally opened up the trans case when trying to remove the trans from the engine. It probably somehow slipped out of its groove and wedged itself between the two halves when I put the case together.

I wonder if that circlip is just there to keep the seal a certain distance away from the spline?
Old 02-28-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

No, I don't think it has anything to do with the seal. Frankly, I can't see what it is, except maybe a spacer between that bearing and the case; not a snap-ring at all. Take a peek at the attached diagram of that trans:

I think the attachment is too big. PM me a private email address to send it to. You are really going to want to see it.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
rgk

It's part 38 on the diagram I linked, part number 21002770, RING, DIR CLU HSG RET. Also called an output shaft retainer.

I feel the opening of the case in my future. I found a step-by-step at http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...sassembly.html.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #6
billr
Master Member

I think the shim, #38, is on the inboard side of the bearing. The one with the ends poking out seems to me like it would be #36. The diagram I sent you may help, but I don't think those rings really show at all.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:00 PM   #7
rgk

#36 is the seal retainer, which I removed before removing the seal. I believe this retainer is supposed to sit behind the seal, but was not supposed to slip between the case halves. I think it somehow slipped in there when I opened the case.

It is currently sitting against the bearing that is on the driver's side of the differential.

I think the only way I'll really know is if I crack the case open properly and see what is on the inside of that side of the case.

Thanks for the diagram.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:47 PM   #8
rgk

Upon further inspection, it's likely that the retainer is supposed to sit between the case and the diff bearing. It fits the groove past the seal bore. I can slip a screwdriver between it and the seal bore, and take it in and out.

Because it comes in different sizes, maybe it's used to ensure a proper fit between the driveshaft and the differential? Anyways, it wouldn't do much good to leave it in the seal bore, and it would not appear to have anywhere else to go against the bearing, even if I did open the case.

As much as I'd like to take the trans apart just to check it out, I think I'm going to leave it alone.

While I'm here, is there a simple way to inspect the diff pin?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:02 PM   #9
billr
Master Member

I have read here that inspection of the diff pin can be done by removing the VSS and peeking in the hole where the VSS mounts. Once, when I happened to have a VSS out for another reason, I tried peeking and feeling in that hole; it was a futile effort for me. My perception is that the diff pin is too far away (laterally) from the hole, but you might give it a try.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The clip is for setting clearance/bearing preload for the gear shaft. Supposed to be there.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #11
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1995 SW2

It is supposed to be there. All of the Mp Series manual trans I have taken apart have had that clip.
1994 Sl2 5spd: First Car, Stock: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1994 Sl1 5spd: Inherited, Stock: 494,500
1995 Sl2 5spd: Retired Daily, Not Stock: 196,000
1995 SW2 4spd: Daily, Stock: 104,000
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

it should be there and it is correct as is. The ends are bent in slightly in case the retaining ring ever needs to be removed such as during a rebuild.

Replace the seal and you are good to go.

Highmile
'95 SL1 726k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote