saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Default Red and Green Lines

With the announcements of new "red line" performance vehicles and the "green line" environmentally friendly vehicles, it appears that Saturn is working toward making niche vehicles - vehicles with relatively modest anticipated sales numbers, but vehicles that fill a specific market need.

Subaru has been very successful with filling small market spaces with its products for decades.

1) Do you think this a deliberate strategy of Saturn and hence we can expect more niche vehicles, or it this mere coincidence?

2) If this is a strategy, what other niches should Saturn consider?

Some possibles - the Sky sports convertible, a 4WD ION, an ION wagon, a right hand-drive ION?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2003, 04:54 PM   #2
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I'm just hoping they play their cards right and management doesn't cut them off.
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
Old 07-12-2003, 06:19 PM   #3
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

These niche vehicles could defiantely help build the brand, and get more overall sales per year.

I think for now, the Red Line and Green Line badges will definately help those. While both will see relatively small sales numbers per year (maybe 10K Red Lines and 20K Green Lines), it will be nice.

I would love to see the SKY Sports Convertible come out, and continue the Red Line name across all models, into the L (or the vehicle that replaces it), as well as the Green Line across all models.

I've never been much of a wagon person, but there definately is a market for it, and they seem to be getting more popular all the time. I think an ION Wagon would be a smart move for Saturn. I think it would be pretty easy to to a RHD ION due to the Center Console, not much would have to be changed. I don't see much of a market for it however, since Saturn failed in Japan, and the only reason for it here in the states would be for Postal workers et al.

But yet, I would like to see saturn filling more niche markets.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:30 PM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Well, as a shuttle driver, I try to talk to people about their vehicles, and find out what they like/dislike/want to see from the company. Granted, many of us here might not like them (I happen to enjoy their practicality), most people are really looking forward to the minivan. I would like to see the SKY and possibly either a large, Toyota Avalon sized car, or a small to mid-size high performance coupe, something to battle the 350Z and its breatheren. With the F bodies in the big showroom in the sky, GM needs all of the performance tools in its pants that it can have now.
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
Old 07-12-2003, 08:40 PM   #5
THX712517

You said tool in pants.

Okay, juvenile moment over... Maybe Saturn is just getting ready for Christmas early. I tease, I kid. I think at the moment the Redline QC will serve adequately as the performance model, but perhaps to compete with the 350Z it needs more supercharger boost and another gear on that 5-speed. Saab makes a six speed for the 2.0 Ecotec, so you could just steal that and boost the heck out of the engine.

Green Line is cool, hopefully they'll put the hybrid system in more than the Vue. And, even though it's low-tech, why not put a 1.8 Ecotec under the hood of a lightened Ion with economy gearing, 5-speed stick and VTi. I could post like five more pages of suggestions, but I'm trying really hard to keep it to a reasonable limit.

Old 07-12-2003, 09:21 PM   #6
silverblueL200

I think the naming scheme is kinda cool, as long as the STICK with it and MARKET the hell out of it. Lets avoid another L series name change Saturn...

Old 07-12-2003, 11:46 PM   #7
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

red line? green line?

Introducing the Saturn Blueline-

So how about Saturn branch into the Speciality Vehicles market with some "Blue line" Police Vehicles (Vue, L/LW 200/300's, and IonQC's as chase and u/c's?

Not the ones we've all seen on here already-

But these models specially tuned for police use... (i.e. big, bad, performance enhanced models for law enforcement only)

I know, i'm dreaming.
2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos
Old 07-13-2003, 08:35 AM   #8
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

The Saturn "Blue Line" would be nice to have in the consumer market Nick.....

I think its great that Saturn is coming out with vehicles that appeal to the performance savvy, to the eco-friendly, and just your average everyday car with some kick... I would really like to see the eco-friendly make it out on the market possibly in the Vue and the Ion.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #9
germ
Advanced Member
germ is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I actually would love to see a red line sedan,and definetly a ION wagon. Both I think would be totally awsome.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:08 PM   #10
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by fotovue
haha I've never seen that before.

I was looking at it and was like WOAH that looks like a Colorado SP design, and low and behold, look at the plate, it is Colorado State Patrol.

I haven't seen that one, usually they are Camaros, Impalas, and Caprice Classics. Also are usually a dark silver.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:49 PM   #11
SilverNickelQC
Advanced Member
SilverNickelQC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I am begining to think the same about Saturn becoming a niche company because of the 50k total units of the epsilon platformed vehicle in the Saturn name plate at another facility in another state, if i remember correctly Chevy intends on building like 250k of total 300k vehicles, does anyone have anything current on this?
Old 07-14-2003, 12:41 AM   #12
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally posted by Xanatos
haha I've never seen that before.

I was looking at it and was like WOAH that looks like a Colorado SP design, and low and behold, look at the plate, it is Colorado State Patrol.

I haven't seen that one, usually they are Camaros, Impalas, and Caprice Classics. Also are usually a dark silver.
It's a very rare picture too!

That saturn was made by the CSP & Saturn for the Saturn Cycling Classic "Lead/Pace Car" a few years back... I don't think it's still in use- I think they used it for a year at most...
2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos
Closed Thread