SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
flaniganjasonl
flaniganjasonl is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default TAAT Solenoid Lock up

Hi i have watched several videos on testing and replacing these solenoids i have tested several times to find that time and time again they all test good. I took the Saturn to a mechanic when it was acting up and it came back as a solenoid locking up. If anyone can tell me what might cause this problem?

I've been told things such as
bad valve body
to much/to little tran fluid
clogged/dirty solenoid
dirty fluid or filter (just replaced both)
or tran sensor problem

if someone can help guide me or give me some sort of advice id greatly appreciate it!
flaniganjasonl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2
Default Re: TAAT Solenoid Lock up

All those listed seem like possibilities. What are your symptoms? What is the history of the transaxle maintenance?

If you know the fluid is good and want to check the solenoids, you could always move the solenoids around to see if the problem moves when you move them. For example, if your having an issue with the 3rd gear shift, swap the 2nd and 3rd gear solenoid and see if the issue is now with the 2nd gear. If the issue doesn't seem gear specific or in all gears, swap the pressure control with another, or if it is dealing with the torque converter swap it out. Just because the resistance checks good, doesn't mean there isn't a physical problem.
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
flaniganjasonl

1998 SL2

I was thinking about moving them around just couldn't decide which one it was the problem began on the highway then i started having problems tacking off was thinking it was solenoid 1 or 3 maybe 5 as well just didn't know the difference between the red (1&3) and gold ones (2,4,5) but to answer you about the history of the trans. I don't know the entire history of it got it around 85,000 miles and now has 130,000 changed all fluid when i purchased it and agin at 100,000 and then when i started having the problem about 2 weeks ago haven't put 200 miles on new fluid due to the problem
Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

What do you mean by problem? Hard shifting?

Here is a picture looking down on the valve body. After you gain access to the trans (remove the intake), just remove the connector, then the cover to the trans, then the cover of the valve body. No need to remove the valve body completely. The diagram below marks which solenoid is which. Also, only remove the dark outlined bolts to take the solenoid cover off.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

If it's hard shifting, you'll want to check voltage at your battery. Turn on everything electrical in your car to load down the charging system. Then check the voltage at the battery terminals with the car idling. You should have 14+ volts. If the alternator starts to get weak, your transmission will start shifting hard.

You should also check the TSS fuse under the hood to make sure it's good.

Shawn
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
lamping.ap

1998 SC2

One more thing. There is a tightening sequence to re-installing the solenoid cover. See picture below. Torque is 11 Nm (8 lb ft.) It would also be wise to inspect the solenoid connector plate to make sure it isn't damaged and is holding the solenoid contacts securely. While you're at it, check the connector for dirt and debris when you remove that.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
flaniganjasonl

1998 SL2

thanks for all the information but soleniod 1 & 3 are red on top and are differnt on the bottum from the others 2,4,&5 why is this ? and will it hurt to put 1 or 3 in slots 2,4, or 5?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
lamping.ap

1998 SC2

I can tell you that saturn had 3 different design of solenoids.

Quote:
1991-1992 - Auto Trans Shift 3.25 ohm Solenoid (P/N 21002248) - 1st design plastic top.

1993 -2002 - Auto Trans Shift 4.5 ohm Solenoid (P/N 21003344) - 3rd design metal top.

The 3rd design 4.5 ohm solenoid (P/N 21003344) replaces the 2nd design 4.5 ohm solenoid (P/N 21003289), which has been discontinued.
Maybe your trans has been worked on? The 5 solenoids can be moved around, they are interchangeable.