SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
jimmmm
jimmmm is on a distinguished road

Default SL2 oil leak & Rear oil seal kit parts id

Just rebuilt our saturn Sl2 DOHC engine, engine runs great but after running it a very short time (up to about an hour or so) I noticed it is now leaking from rear of engine somewhere near oil pan and rear main engine oil seal ( I still need to take off engine to tranny brace and small black flywheel cover to help identify source)
Can't see any oil dripping down from valve cover , yet. Need to see edge of oil pan after removing items mentioned above & retorque bolts and/or remove & reinstall with black RTV sealer for gasket (as was completed first time).

I have a few questions that may help me solve this issue:

1); When using RTV sealer for oil pan gasket which type is best to use ? The Felpro gasket kit came with black RTV and i use this first time around.

2); When using RTV should I : smooth it with finger or leave it a bead ? Let it tack up several mins. or install immediately.

3); I looked up a replacement rear main seal kit on line and it shows the main seal (the large rubber seal) and a small round 'O' ring type seal with it..... what is the small one for / where does it go ? (I do not remember having/installing the small 'O' ring type seal the first time around... but will be checking into it)
jimmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
saturnhouse
Advanced Member
saturnhouse will become famous soon enough

Default Re: SL2 oil leak & Rear oil seal kit parts id

I used Rite-stuff on my oil pan.
First, removed all previous RTV, cleaned both surfaces with break clean. Then applied a generous bead to the channel on the pan. Pressed carefully into place, bolted, and no leaks so far (knocking wood). Its been almost 2 years.
saturnhouse is offline   Reply With Quote