SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
Aspenglade
Junior Member
Aspenglade is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 44

2001 SL1
Default Front Sway Bar Bushings - R&R

2001 SL1, ATM, base model

Is there a procedure to remove the front sway bar bushings other than unscrew the front bolts, use a prybar, and R&R the bushings?


Thinking there is stored energy on the bar, whereby the bolts will pop out and the bar will move out of place.

The below video shows otherwise.

Thought I could get some feedback from someone that has done this before.

1998 Saturn SL front sway bar bushings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsM5ZRmDGJE
Aspenglade is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
ssicarman
Super Member
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold
 
ssicarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 10,468
 
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings - R&R

Remove the bushing brackets. Remove the bushings using a pry bar as needed to pull the sway bar out to give you room to remove the bushings.
Install new.
...
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:33 PM   #3
Aspenglade
Junior Member
Aspenglade is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 44

2001 SL1
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings - R&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Remove the bushing brackets. Remove the bushings using a pry bar as needed to pull the sway bar out to give you room to remove the bushings.
Install new.
Thank you!
Aspenglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #4
Goggles Pisano
Member
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road
 
Goggles Pisano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto ON, Canada
Posts: 289
 

1999 SL1
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings - R&R

Also, use LOTS of PB Blaster on the bolts before removing them. The one on the driver's side may seize up and snap the rounded stud that the bolt screws into. One of those studs is relatively accessible because there is an access hole you can jam a tool in to hold the stud in place while unscrewing the bolt.

Of course, that won't be the one that will snap on you. It will be the one you CAN'T reach without cutting an access hole in the subframe. If you let the PB Blaster soak for a bit, that can help immensely and help you avoid that fate.

As well, make sure your bushings sit in the bracket properly. Here is my post explaining why...
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 12:41 AM   #5
PrestonIII
Member
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Posts: 379

1994 SL2
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings - R&R

There's a very easy way to remove the front sway bar.

Don't use a pry bar, unless that's all you have. Just remember that the bar has the tensile strength to resist bending by a 2700 pound car, so a tiny human isn't going to be too effective at bending it wish a pry bar.

The way to release tension from the bar is to use a ratchet strap or a come-along.

Attach the strap near the end on one side. With the rust and rough finish of the bar, the cloth strap will grip quite well. Then attach the other end of the strap near the end on the other side. THEN, just ratchet it together. Only go as far as you need to; no point in bending the bar. The strap will pull the loose end inward to remove from or install it in the end bushing. AND you don't have to take one of the control arms loose from the engine cradle. You can do this with the little 1.5" wide ratchet straps.

Just decide whether you need to remove the sway bar's saddle bushings or not to manipulate the sway bar as you need to.

Once the end nut of the sway bar is loose, the strut will push back off the sway bar once you pull it's end inward with the strap.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #6
Aspenglade
Junior Member
Aspenglade is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 44

2001 SL1
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings - R&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
Also, use LOTS of PB Blaster on the bolts before removing them. The one on the driver's side may seize up and snap the rounded stud that the bolt screws into. One of those studs is relatively accessible because there is an access hole you can jam a tool in to hold the stud in place while unscrewing the bolt.

Of course, that won't be the one that will snap on you. It will be the one you CAN'T reach without cutting an access hole in the subframe. If you let the PB Blaster soak for a bit, that can help immensely and help you avoid that fate.

As well, make sure your bushings sit in the bracket properly. Here is my post explaining why...
Thanks, the pics help.
Aspenglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:54 PM   #7
Aspenglade
Junior Member
Aspenglade is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 44

2001 SL1
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings - R&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonIII View Post
There's a very easy way to remove the front sway bar.

Don't use a pry bar, unless that's all you have. Just remember that the bar has the tensile strength to resist bending by a 2700 pound car, so a tiny human isn't going to be too effective at bending it wish a pry bar.

The way to release tension from the bar is to use a ratchet strap or a come-along.

Attach the strap near the end on one side. With the rust and rough finish of the bar, the cloth strap will grip quite well. Then attach the other end of the strap near the end on the other side. THEN, just ratchet it together. Only go as far as you need to; no point in bending the bar. The strap will pull the loose end inward to remove from or install it in the end bushing. AND you don't have to take one of the control arms loose from the engine cradle. You can do this with the little 1.5" wide ratchet straps.

Just decide whether you need to remove the sway bar's saddle bushings or not to manipulate the sway bar as you need to.

Once the end nut of the sway bar is loose, the strut will push back off the sway bar once you pull it's end inward with the strap.

Preston
Thanks, the ratchet suggestion will also help, when changing the control arms.
Aspenglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:58 PM   #8
Aspenglade
Junior Member
Aspenglade is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 44

2001 SL1
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings - R&R

I almost forgot. Torque specs.

Is the Torque setting 103 ft-lbs.?
I wanted to verify that with y'all.
Aspenglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:27 AM   #9
Aspenglade
Junior Member
Aspenglade is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 44

2001 SL1
Default Re: Front Sway Bar Bushings - R&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglade View Post
I almost forgot. Torque specs.

Is the Torque setting 103 ft-lbs.?
I wanted to verify that with y'all.
Never mind, I found them in Haynes. They are 103 ft-lbs.
Aspenglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Sway Bar Links and Bushings jrahhali Astra Tech 6 06-23-2016 01:15 PM
Replacing Front Sway Bar Bushings 72gssaturn Astra Tech 9 06-23-2016 01:02 PM
Issue installing new front sway bar bushings agroom Vue Tech 17 04-14-2014 07:53 PM
Front sway bar frame bushings SRGW S-Series General 0 10-20-2007 07:22 PM
RL front sway bar. Stock bushings or Energy Suspension??? bryank930 Ion Mods 2 01-09-2007 11:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.