Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
Jammer
Advanced Member
Jammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Can I just get a new roof???

Ok, so my sunroof is busted (and if you have read the threads about this you know that it is not cheap to repair) so I searched out the aftermarket rebuilds and OEM replacements and while I was looking through the parts diagrams I started to notice that the entire roof was a seperate piece. Cost of $374 from www.saturnparts.net.

I am thinking, the sunroof is nice but not something that I would get on new car so can I just get rid of the headachs in the future, any leaks that may occure, busted motors the current bent rails by just putting on a standard roof?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Can I just get a new roof???

Have you really looked at the cost for doing what you are proposing?

You could probably put on a new roof but I'm thinking it would be a whole lot of auto body work since you'd probably have to cut the frame at all the vertical supports, weld in a new roof (if you can find one), then repaint, etc., etc. Most likely a lot of bucks no matter who does the work for you.

If you are thinking about not ever using the sunroof, why not just make sure the gasket on it is in good shape and that the roof area will drain freely, then just close the thing up tight and not use it? You could even disconnect the switch above the maplight so there'd be no chance of opening it accidentally. Total cost, unless you already have major leakage, would probably be a few bucks.

BTW, here's another link where you can get a new sunroof for $330 delivered.

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/9602saturn.htm
Old 01-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
Jammer
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Yes I have thought of the cost but also I would like the extra head room. (about 1.5") I have a friend who can paint it and by the looks of it the roof panel is a 1 piece. No A-pilar C-pilar extensions. Or I could order the new roof, mold it and make one out of CF/red kevlar.....
Attached Images
File Type: gif IA97555.gif (7.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-20-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Saturn roofs are held on with six nuts and window weld. The roof panel is removable. You would have to remove the front and rear windows to be able to do so. And separating the roof panel from the frame is a pain in the butt because of the sealant that they use. But it can be done. Here is a picture of our dragster with the roof panel removed while we were repainting the interior and roll cage.

The car came with out a sunroof, we picked up a roof panel from a SL2 with a sunroof to use in the car. We're going to make a flip up ecsape hatch in case of a severe accident at the track and the doors are not able to be opened.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
mars_volta
Advanced Member
mars_volta is on a distinguished road

i cant wait to see that thing go again!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:34 AM   #6
Jammer
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Do I have to fully remove the windows or can it be done without removing them? I have some limited experience with window R/R and a few spare tubes of U-481. But would rather leave them in if possible.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:18 AM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

There is a lip on the front and rear edge of the roof panel that the glass is sealed to. You'd probably break the glass with all the tugging trying to remove the panel.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
Jammer
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

::Arggg:: ::Eeeee:: (...another plan to cheap out on this one up and dies...)

nice looking cage though.
Closed Thread