saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L
Default Dead Battery?

Drove my Astra 5dr 5sp to pick up my kid at school. Was sitting in the car rider line for about 20 minutes with the car turned off and when I went to turn it back on it would just click. All the dash lights came on and the BC was also displaying weird characters but it would not crank.

Tried several times to start it and nothing, fortunately I was on a down slope so I was able to roll it forward and pop the clutch in 1st gear to start it.

Stopped off at the Dr and the car sat for about 1 1/2hrs and again would not start. I had parked it on the down ramp just in case and again had to roll it down and jump start it.

Weird thing is I am now getting the INSP1000 and it has only been 6000 miles since I reset it and I normally get about 9000 miles before the INSP1000 comes on. I am pretty sure it was not on before this issue.

I got the car July 08 but I don't know how long it sat on the dealer lot before that.

Is 3 years an average life span of the battery? Or is there something more sinister going on? I am going to take the car to AutoZone tomorrow and have then test the battery.
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Dead Battery?

I'd check your owner's manual about battery life/warranty. While testing the battery at Autozone, have them test the alternator too. Its free and worth the time to check them. And be sure the battery cables are free and clean of any corrosion.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Follow up with what fdryer suggested. If you have a battery tender, I would suggest that you attach it to your battery. I suspect either a battery has gone bad, or your alternator has gone weak (unlikely).

The InSP does some funky things, but has nothing to do with the battery issue. I've had mine go from displaying 1000 to 100 to 0 in a two days. Also keep in mind that I store my car for the winter. It goes by driving patterns(redline), time, and engine hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanVet View Post
Drove my Astra 5dr 5sp to pick up my kid at school. Was sitting in the car rider line for about 20 minutes with the car turned off and when I went to turn it back on it would just click. All the dash lights came on and the BC was also displaying weird characters but it would not crank.

Tried several times to start it and nothing, fortunately I was on a down slope so I was able to roll it forward and pop the clutch in 1st gear to start it.

Stopped off at the Dr and the car sat for about 1 1/2hrs and again would not start. I had parked it on the down ramp just in case and again had to roll it down and jump start it.

Weird thing is I am now getting the INSP1000 and it has only been 6000 miles since I reset it and I normally get about 9000 miles before the INSP1000 comes on. I am pretty sure it was not on before this issue.

I got the car July 08 but I don't know how long it sat on the dealer lot before that.

Is 3 years an average life span of the battery? Or is there something more sinister going on? I am going to take the car to AutoZone tomorrow and have then test the battery.
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Check the clutch pedal. Make sure there is nothing preventing it from being pushed in all the way.
My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Batteries, these days can last one to 5 years.
too bad the car did not have a voltage gauge. then u would know whether or not the battery was being sufficiently charged. i doubt if the alternator is defective as the car would not run at all. if u keep driving, as is, the alternator will fail. the alternator is not designed to fully charge a near dead or dying battery.
Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
PanVet

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

GM says batteries are warrantied 3/36000 miles.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
PanVet

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

Well apparently it is something more electrical then the battery.

Replaced it with a new one same issue, just clicks when trying to start. Rolled it down the hill to jump start it let it run for a bit in case the battery needed charged, still won't start.

Also noticed the the auto down on the windows no longer works, either with the door switch or the FOB but I think that might have something to do with the battery being taken out?

Guess it is off to service center let them figure it out.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
PanVet

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

Don't know what to think now. I went out to remove the roof rack before calling the service center to come get the car because I don't have locks for it yet. On a hunch I decided to jump start the car again and let it run longer then I did last time. Only ran it long enough to drive around the block last time, less then 5 minutes.

After taking off the rack and letting it run about 15 minutes shut it off and it started up again. This is more consistant with what was going on before because I did have to stop and get gas when the problem started and I was able to start the car again so I do not think it is the clutch switch.

Going to let it sit over night and see if it will start again in the AM. I guess I will still have to take it to the service center so they can tech2 the auto down on the windows because the battery was removed?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
PanVet

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

Found the reset for the windows. Auto down works now.

1. Turn the ignition to the ON position.
2. Run all windows to the full up position.
3. Hold each power window switch on the driver door to the full up position for 5 seconds.
4. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
5. Lock the doors with the FOB.
6. Unlock the doors with the FOB.
7. Verify that the express-down feature is working by holding the unlock button on the FOB, all door windows should go down.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

One other possibility is a bad starter motor. Starter motors use carbon brushes inside that ride on a copper commutator ring on the armature, and these brushes slowly wear down until almost nothing remains (or the surface of the commutator ring may be badly pitted due to arcing). At this point the brushes are barely making contact, and you can experience an intermittent no-start due to the poor electrical contact. The reason why your starter might have worked that one time and not others can be summed up to engine vibration and heat expansion inside the starter shifting the brushes.

What sometimes works is crawling under the car with a small hammer and tapping the side of the starter housing to jar the brushes -- shifting them ever-so-slightly to complete the circuit again. This "solution" is, of course, only temporary, as the brushes will eventually wear to the point that they will never again make proper contact.
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
PanVet

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

So it has been almost a week now since replacing the battery and not further issues so I guess I will just chalk this one up to a failed battery and a nervous driver.