SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Default Removing Stock Chrome Roof Rails?

I'm considering the removal of the stock chrome roof rails on my '06. I doubt I will ever use them and since I'd have to buy the cross bars anyway, I may just buy the low profile ones that attach directly to the roof.

Now, with that being said, how easy is it to remove? I believe you just snap the end silver parts up and remove a couple of bolts. I'm not sure what the next step is but I'm sure it's pretty straight forward.

Once removed, does the top of the truck look flat like models that didn't come from the factory with the roof rails?

I am a bit worried that the truck will look boring without the chrome accents on the top, but I've also seen a picture of a storm gray Vue that had them removed and it looked pretty good.

Thoughts?
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
braymeck
braymeck is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Removing Stock Chrome Roof Rails?

Too bad your in canada, I am looking to do the exact opposite to my vue. I would offer to buy them from you, But shipping those things to the states would probably be something ridiculous.

I personally think they make the vue look more sport ute, but i see where your coming from that its cleaner looking without them.
braymeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
What a VUE
What a VUE is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routs View Post
I'm considering the removal of the stock chrome roof rails on my '06. I doubt I will ever use them and since I'd have to buy the cross bars anyway, I may just buy the low profile ones that attach directly to the roof.

Now, with that being said, how easy is it to remove? I believe you just snap the end silver parts up and remove a couple of bolts. I'm not sure what the next step is but I'm sure it's pretty straight forward.

Once removed, does the top of the truck look flat like models that didn't come from the factory with the roof rails?

I am a bit worried that the truck will look boring without the chrome accents on the top, but I've also seen a picture of a storm gray Vue that had them removed and it looked pretty good.

Thoughts?
I like the look of the silver rails, and have been looking for them, in vain. My white VUE has the flat roof (with XM antenna) and I don't care for the plain-ness of it. Other colors (especially the darker colors like Storm Grey) look better IMO without the bars. But it's a matter of personal preference.

If you do wind up taking them off, I'd be interested in getting them from you for a reasonable price...
Dave
07 VUE 3.5 AWD
What a VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

I say go for it. The roofrails are so 'hey look at my cute SUV'. I always liked the fact that the original vue(pre refresh) didn't have them.
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the opinions guys. I think I will take them off when the weather warms up just a bit more. I do agree that the darker colours seem to look better without and the lighter colours do compliment them better. Ironically my wife's '02 is white and does look a bit plain. I may swap the rails over to her truck to see if it compliments it better.

For those asking about buying them from me, the shipping alone would kill the deal.

I'd be glad to hear anymore opinions or personal experiences from removing them. Want to understand how hard/easy this will be to remove from my truck and them install onto a truck that's never had them.
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Did you ever do this?

Debating doing this on our '07 VUE. I'm not a fan of the rack at all.

It appears a non-roof rail cover plate is needed once removed?
-Travis
ProDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
blacknbluevue
blacknbluevue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Any roof rackage puts a dent in fuel economy. I removed the chrome side rails from my 2007 and got the OEM crossbar racks and roof moldings at the pick n pull for $35 USD. I use them when I need them, once or twice a year, and remove them for the rest.
David
1991 SL1 5 sp 120K mi SOLD
2004 Ion 2 L61 5 sp 155K mi SOLD
2005 VUE L61 5 sp 181K mi LOST IN TS JOAQUIN 10/2015
2007 VUE L61 5 sp 155K mi
blacknbluevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #8
Badmotorfinger
Badmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura aboutBadmotorfinger has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

I just installed the factory chrome rails off a wrecked '06 on my wife's 03. Contrary to popular opinion, we like the look.

You will need to get the "low profile" black plastic trim rails from a Vue otherwise you'll have a direct path for moisture to enter your car. Sourcing a decent set of the flat trim pieces may be problematic as most I see are cracked and broken.

To removed your chrome rails, open the rear hatch and locate the two small torx fasteners holding down the body panel and black trim piece. Pry up the chrome ends of the rails. Remove all torx fasteners at the now exposed ends of the rails (4 total fasteners). Remove rails and set aside. Open the back pax doors and locate the torx fasteners holding the painted body piece above the door. These are the scalloped ones. They're a two piece unit; you only need remove the piece that runs above the rear side window rear pax doors (not the piece above the front doors). This will now allow you to remove the black plastic trim. Now remove the torx fasteners holding down the black plastic trim.They were installed with blue Loctite so it won't be easy. Carefully pry up the trim piece. It's sealed to the body, but will come up.

Install sealant around edges of the low profile trim pieces. Locate on the hood and reinstall the torx fasteners. Reinstall the above rear pax door body panels.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
Did you ever do this?

Debating doing this on our '07 VUE. I'm not a fan of the rack at all.

It appears a non-roof rail cover plate is needed once removed?
Badmotorfinger is offline   Reply With Quote