SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 10:53 AM   #1
Mark85
Mark85 is on a distinguished road

Default 95 SL1 engine rebuild, need help

alright, well right now im trying to fix the saturn engine in my sisters old car, shes going to college and im was gonna get her car, but 3 weeks before college she ran it out of oil and messed up the engine pretty bad so now im trying to fix it

first we took off the timing chain cover and noticed that the guides and chain tensioner had been grinded up by the chain, so we got a timing chain kit and replaced all that stuff, then we did a compression check and found 4 bent intake valves, so we had no compression, so we replaced the valves and put everything back together, the car started but after a couple seconds the engine started smoking, dont know what it was burning but we noticed the oil light was on and didnt know why, and then the engine turned off, and wouldnt start back up, turns out the pump wasnt pumping oil to the top of the engine at all, so i think theres somthing wrong with the oil pump, and now the bottom of the engine is siezed, what do i need to do to fix the bottom of the engine?

also why didnt the oil pump work, i found this while reading through some threads on the site,

Quote:
Originally posted by Abe95SC2
OK Dumb question #1 did you prime the oil pump with Petroleum Jelly per FSM? #2 Did you check the seals that go from the block to the oil pump backing plate?

Abe.
how come the manual didnt say anything about priming the pump, or is this some kind of trick you guys learned from working on saturns, and if you have to prime it the first time how come it doesnt need priming everytime the oil pump needs to work

and the seals, or orings are on there, we bought 2 new ones with the timing chain kit, we also replaced the engine mount because the boot was broken, and cleaned the oil pan of all the timing chain guide peices and the pickup looked clean, also when we took the timing chain cover off there was a layer of oil on the bottom where the pump was, but the top was dry, and so was the camshaft, oh and if you do need to prime the pump, how do you do it?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2002, 09:00 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The factory service manuals, I believe, do tell you to prime the oil pump with vaseline. If you don't do this then the oil pump is unable to build suction to pull the oil from the pan.

"what do i need to do to fix the bottom of the engine?"

The first thing to do is disassemble the engine to find out what has siezed and repair/replace parts to bring back as close as possible to factory spec. There are a certain number of oversize bearings availible so you may be able to save components.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:25 PM   #3
Mark85

alright, yea were about ready to take out the bottom half of the engine to see whats frozen, so if youdont prime the oil pump with that gel then what will happen, it will just **** up air and the oil light comes on?
Old 08-16-2002, 09:28 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

If left unprimed, the oil pump will $uck air and leave your engine with NO OIL PRESSURE. This will cause your crankshaft main and rod bearings to make unlubricated metal to metal contact, wear immeadiately and severely, superheat and eventualy seize up solid preventing the engine from ever turning again...save some numerous parts replacements and repair work..and perhaps not even then.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 08-20-2002, 04:07 PM   #5
Mark85

how do you prime the oil pump? can you scan the page in the manual and post it or somthing so i can see it

also, we took the bottom of the engine out, after loosening the bearings the engine turned, so i guess all we have to do now is replace the bearings right? do i need to replace the main bearings too?
Old 08-24-2002, 06:01 PM   #6
dohc 97
dohc 97 is on a distinguished road

Re priming pump: Haynes' manual "Saturn 1991 thru 1994,"
p. 2A-17,oil pump installation:
". . . Pack the pump cavities
with petroleum jelly (this will prime the pump and ensure good suction when the engine is started.)
Old 08-25-2002, 10:12 PM   #7
Mark85

yea, i read that after i already messed it up, but i didnt read that section because i never took the cover off to check the pump, but oh well the car is running now, had to replace the rings and all the bearings in the bottom of the engine
Old 08-26-2002, 09:11 AM   #8
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

Anybody look at those crank journals? They most likely were affected by the engine seizure, and your nice new bearing inserts might not be long for this world.

The crank should have been removed, checked with a micrometer, and reground as necessary. As ssicarman pointed out, oversize inserts are available to fit the undersize main and rod journals.
Closed Thread