saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default dead battery?

ok so this week is like murphy's law for my car...

I went to leave work and get some lunch... Put ignition to start position and nothing happens. Sometimes my car mat stops the clutch pedal from being depressed all the way so i checked that...wasn't the problem.

When i put the key just in the run position i was hearing a clicking noise (probably a relay) and my rpm/spedo, console lights, and stereo deck would go along with the clicking (on/off, guages jumped up/down slightly).

Get someone to give me a boost and the car starts, i didn't leave anything on that would drain the battery...

Go get lunch and come back(10 minute drive), turn off the car and try to start it again at work and same thing happens...no start

I'm about to go out and check the voltage on the battery time permitting, but at this point i'm wondering the possible cause.

Battery didn't charge on the drive BUT i didn't notice any low power issues or battery light. does that rule out the alternator?

Am i most likely looking at a dead battery? Do they usually just go like that? i didn't have any problem on the way to work.
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
99SC2ER
99SC2ER is on a distinguished road

Default Re: dead battery?

Hey Kevo420.

Just had to replace my battery last week. I did notice it being a little more sluggish on the start for about 1-2 weeks prior during the really cold weather, although it did seemed to happen rather abruptly. Then we had a well below 0 degree day and I got the infamous dead battery click.

Brought it down to have the battery tested and came back...bad !!

Yes everything in my car ran fine once the alternator was going, so it would make sense your altenator is fine and you just need a new battery. Much easier to install, and pay for, compared to an alternator !! Although it still sucks !!
- Matt
99 SC2
200k Miles
99SC2ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
99SC2ER

Oh and definitely check for loose connections and have it tested first. No sense dropping $70+ on a new battery when its just a bad cable/connection. Which a new battery wont help anyways.
- Matt
99 SC2
200k Miles
Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SC2ER View Post
Oh and definitely check for loose connections and have it tested first. No sense dropping $70+ on a new battery when its just a bad cable/connection. Which a new battery wont help anyways.
Oh for sure, just at work right now and can't be outside taking out my battery just wondering if my 'not the alternator' hypothesis is well founded and sounds like a battery issue.

Quote:
I got the infamous dead battery click.
That clicking is a common occurence?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
99SC2ER

Yeah the clicking is your starter trying to do its thing without any power from the battery. Very common occurence for a dead battery.

Good luck !!
- Matt
99 SC2
200k Miles
Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

I'll +1:

-sounds like the Alt is probably ok, since it supplied enough juice to run the car properly once you got it going. Have it checked before it's all said & done anyway, just cuz you can & it's free and a good idea.

-check connections, a poor connection somewhere can simulate a dead alt or battery, and can also drain the battery and damage the alt. Don't just check the ends of cables, look along them as much as you can to look for any place the cable may have rubbed though and let corrosion in (personal experience )

-battery is likely the culprit. When you get off work, get a jump start and drive to the nearest parts store, and ask them to test the battery. They may be able to do it in-car, or you may have to borrow a couple tools & take the battery out & inside. Either way, they should be able to do a check on the charge level, ability to hold a charge, and the cold cranking amps output of the battery and tell if it's any good.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
fredsfix
fredsfix is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
1997 SL1

2002 SL - going on six years old if that's the original battery. About time for it to give up.
You can't call yourself a mechanic if you're surprised it runs!
fredsfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
99SC2ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsfix View Post
2002 SL - going on six years old if that's the original battery. About time for it to give up.
Agreed, average car battery should give you about 5 years of good life. Some will last longer, some shorter. I just had to replace one after 3 years.
- Matt
99 SC2
200k Miles
Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

when i got a boost to leave work i found the problem...

Positive terminal came completley out of the battery. Luckly there was a canadian tire on the same block as my work, so battery is replaced and all is well now.

I just had the clutch changed in a shop and i wonder if they used a pneumatic ratchet when tightening the battery cable and cranked it right out of the battery... Engine compartment is all filled with electrolyte now...hmmmm

It's been an expensive week
Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Wash things down with baking soda and water.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote