SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
skerrje
skerrje is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Aura XE stuttering problems

I would appreciate any help, advice. Hopefully this has been seen before.

I recently purchased a Saturn Aura used from a Chrysler Dealer. It has 40K on the clock, so no bumper to bumper.

My problem is this. My engine hesitates 3 or 4 times randomly while driving. It happens when the engine is cold or warm. The Rev counter dips like it is stalling. There is no stalling or check engine lights. After the 3 or 4 stutters it continues to drive just fine.

I took it back to the place I bought it, they drove with me and I couldnt recreate it. They also plugged in the computer and no codes were present.

It is happening more. It seems most common between 40 and 50 MPH whilst gently accelerating.

Your help is appreciated.

Jeff
skerrje is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 2008 Aura XE stuttering problems

Do a search here of that problem.
IIRC, the latest problem similar to yours was a plugged cat converter.
93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerrje View Post
I would appreciate any help, advice. Hopefully this has been seen before.

I recently purchased a Saturn Aura used from a Chrysler Dealer. It has 40K on the clock, so no bumper to bumper.

My problem is this. My engine hesitates 3 or 4 times randomly while driving. It happens when the engine is cold or warm. The Rev counter dips like it is stalling. There is no stalling or check engine lights. After the 3 or 4 stutters it continues to drive just fine.

I took it back to the place I bought it, they drove with me and I couldnt recreate it. They also plugged in the computer and no codes were present.

It is happening more. It seems most common between 40 and 50 MPH whilst gently accelerating.

Your help is appreciated.

Jeff
Which engine?
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
skerrje
skerrje is on a distinguished road

It is the 3.5L V6 with the 4 speed auto transmission.

I see a couple of hits that sound like my issue.

One was the clogged catlytic converter.
One was replacing the wires to the fuel injector.
The other was the problem reported by the Chevy Malibu users.

Hoping to narrow it down.

I think the rev indicator dipping is interesting. Hoping that someone with a simitlar issue recognises all the symptoms.

Jeff
skerrje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

keep in mind if its the converter warranty covers to 8/80k. fuel injectors are 5/100
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

I would start by clean the MAF sensor & throttle body/butterfly valve (it's just basic DIY maintenance).

An intermittent throttle position sensor could account for your symptoms. You really need to look at the fuel trim data which most folks don't have the scan tool to do. If cleaning the MAF sensor & throttle body don't help, I would suggest sitting tight until it gets worse & throws a code. Could also be a fuel volume or pressure dropout. A clogged cat will generally cause a overall lack of engine power which does not fit your description.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
jimltz
jimltz is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem on my 2009 Aura with the 3.6. The tach would blip while at idle and I could feel a slight stuble in the engine, but the car ran fine. I decided to try running a can of BG 44K through and that helped quite a bit. For $20 I'd give that a try. My car only had 29,000 miles on it when I used the BG 44K but the car was mfg in late 2008 so it's been around for 3 years.
jimltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
kdnorman
kdnorman is on a distinguished road

I'm having what sounds like the exact same problem with my 2008 Saturn Astra XR with 34,000 miles. Whether warm or cold it will randomly "skip a beat" probably once for every hour I drive. It seems to occur more often during a normal acceleration or when going up hill, but it can happen on the highway at a steady 70 mi/h. I couldn't repeat it for the dealer as he didn't have an hour to drive it around.

The "technician" on JustAnswer.com said I should use SeaFoam for a "direct induction cleaning" to remove carbon deposits and to clean the throttle body. It seems to me that if this were an expected normal maintenance it would be in the owner's manual.

It seems to me more like something electrical as the engine just dies for a split second. But, how do I get a dealer to attempt to diagnose the problem before the warranty expires in a couple months...?
kdnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
kdnorman
kdnorman is on a distinguished road

While Googling the symptoms, I came across a GM bulletin for a similar problem on a couple other vehicles. This ons is for a Saturn Ion:

Bulletin Number: PI-0090B
GM: THERE MAY BE AN INTERMITTENT ENGINE HESITATION OR FLUTTER. THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR TERMINALS LIKELY HAVE POOR CONNECTIONS. *RM UPDATED 8/1/11. *PE

I ended up busting a connector to one of the camshaft sensors (why does every single connector have to be a unique and fragile Chinese puzzle!), but managed to wiggle and push and pull to the point that maybe it is getting a better connection. It is far from definitive, but driving for an hour over the same spots that have caused the problem did not reproduce it. That doesn't mean it won't happen again tomorrow, so we'll see.
kdnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Humy
Humy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I am having the same problem and taking her in on Wednesday to take a drive with the Tech
Humy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerrje View Post
.....My problem is this. My engine hesitates 3 or 4 times randomly while driving. It happens when the engine is cold or warm. The Rev counter dips like it is stalling. There is no stalling or check engine lights. After the 3 or 4 stutters it continues to drive just fine. ....I took it back to the place I bought it, they drove with me and I couldnt recreate it. They also plugged in the computer and no codes were present...........
Maybe leaving the car with the dealer for them to start it up the next day may duplicate the problem for them to see what you're seeing? It can be frustrating for everyone especially the dealer never witnessing it first hand.

No SES indicator means no stored error codes.

kdnorman, the chinese puzzle connectors are very frustrating for anyone, including me!? I think the only reason they're made a certain way is to prevent any connector from disconnecting by using a positive mechanical locking device. Weathering, heat, cold, and vibration will loosen these connectors over time and most likely demonstrated that locking them mechanically ensures EFI systems won't create headaches as unusual problems can pop up from poorly connected electronics. I don't like them any more than anyone else but these 'child-proof' locks are there for a reason even though adults like me swear when a new locking connector defies logic!?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
rgoodnite
rgoodnite is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Hello! First time user bare with me.... I have been experiencing some bogging issues with my 2008 Aura 97,000 miles. I am the only owner, no issues, very happy with the performance of the car up until now. I changed the coolant temp. sensor, along with the oil. I went to drive it, and the engine bogged out. pulled over the side of the road it died, started it three different times, on the third time pressed the gas came to normal idle. Now wont stay running, boggs out when I press gas down. Any help would be great.
rgoodnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I wish the OP would reply to let us know what was causing his "stuttering" and the fix.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoodnite View Post
Hello! First time user bare with me.... I have been experiencing some bogging issues with my 2008 Aura 97,000 miles. I am the only owner, no issues, very happy with the performance of the car up until now. I changed the coolant temp. sensor, along with the oil. I went to drive it, and the engine bogged out. pulled over the side of the road it died, started it three different times, on the third time pressed the gas came to normal idle. Now wont stay running, boggs out when I press gas down. Any help would be great.
please start a new thread with your issue.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
TonyT
TonyT is on a distinguished road

Any updates on these issues. I have the same problems arising and want to know what the outcomes were.
thanks
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
Rover1
Rover1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

opps wrong board
Rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #17
urbad
urbad is on a distinguished road

I have a 2008 Saturn Aura, with 211,000 miles, which lives in New York. Within the last month of December it would idle rough when cold, rpms where only around 600 in park. When I would put in drive it would want to stall. Once it warmed up it would run ok but at highway speeds would flutter/hesitate(rpm would fluctuate) periodically. No codes or engine light would come on. Eventually it got so bad that it did stall and "engine failure light" came on. Codes showed the throttle body was bad. Had mechanic replace and do a relearn on system. Runs perfect! Much more power and smooth. No issues with cold driving at 17 degrees fahrenheit. Cost around $500 for relearn, diagnostic test, and replace install throttle body. Hope this helps someone.
urbad is offline   Reply With Quote