SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 06-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
Default 2008 aura 3.5v6 transmission shudder? :)

Hello My fellow Aura Fans! I call upon all of your collective knowledge about the aura to decide whether something is normal or a problem which is brewing. This will be hard for me to describe so please be patient with me. thanks again in advance for your help and support. bue05

1. My 2008 Saturn Aura xe has the 3.5L v6 engine mated to a 4 speed automatic transmission. It has 14,000 miles on the odometer, was built in august of 2007, and purchased in september 2007. The v6 engine has 219 hp compared to 2007 v6 with 224hp. This car does have the stability control and traction control on it. Thats the stats on the car here is the concern.

2. I wouldn't use the words jerk, noisy, or slamming. It shakes the car throughout or shudders during acceleration from a stop at any speed or time always, especially during the first two to three shifts. Its so hard to explain and im sorry, but i love to ask you guys and gals because you might say look this is the way it works or not on my aura... ok here is how i can explain it car is shifting gears, it would be like nodding your head forward quickly three times like decently quick like a good three to four nods. each shift change. I think its a problem and annoying. I have noticed if i floor it hard its not extremly as noticable but wont do that to my aura all the time. Im sorry for the sensless rant but im bothered by this and not sure if its normal or not. Isn't that silly.. I can't remeber if it acted this way from the start or not. of course when you slowdown by breaking or letting up on the gas and then depress the gas pedal to accelerate again it bogs down and growls at you a bit kinda like your wrong for not stopping and then re-accelerate, it makes like a growling or low pitched hmmmm brrrr sound annoying. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR EXPERINCE WITH SHIFFTING IN YOUR AURA! lol.. concerned and confussed bue05

p.s. thanks again for your attention and help. I realize and understand its under warranty, and can take it in and have them analyze and or fix it for free and no problem for me to worry about. I don't believe in wasting my gas, mileage, time, and of course the dealers time. For it to be the nature of the beast. I appreciate your time and your thoughts on this concern always. bue05
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 2008 aura 3.5v6 transmission shudder? :)

Ok, Shudder, jerking is not normal.
Under light acceleration I can't feel the shifts unless I am really paying attention.
Under medium acceleration I can feel a smooth thump when it shifts.
Hard acceleration gives a quick thump.
Never more than one per gear.

Using the paddles, I have to shift about 1/2 second before I want the shift but they are always quick and smooth.

Before having my Trans reflashed alst month Shifting was smooth and almost un-noticeable under all forms of acceleration. The new program make them a lot quicker.
There have been a lot of posts of shuddering like a slipping torque converter. My only complaint was before the reflash that the first shift into gear, it acted like the torque converter was low on fluid, but wasn't.
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
plattsr
plattsr is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I am experiencing this same issue. I can not make it happen %100 of time. I took it in to have it looked at and of course they couldnt reproduce it. There are a couple technical service bulletins for the 2007 model that likely apply here.

Component Description:
37. POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Bulletin Number: 060730022
Bulletin Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2,007 Saturn Aura

Summary:
6T70 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT FLARE, BUMP OR HARSHNESS. (REPROGRAM TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM)). ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10020733 )

Component Description:
24. POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Bulletin Number: 070730022
Bulletin Date: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2,007 Saturn Aura

Summary:
6T75 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION BINDING ON 3-4 OR 4-3 SHIFT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON, DTC P0797 SET (MEASURE SIDE CLEARANCE BETWEEN HUB SEAL RINGS AND GROOVE, REPLACE HUB AND HUB SEAL RINGS IF NECESSARY) ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10023216 )

The issue i am having is the 4-3, 3-4 shifts. The car is fine for me from a stop. I also do not have any check engine light active. Hopefully this helps some. Please update if dealer finds anything, as this could go on for months before something completly brakes.

These service bulletins came from edmunds.com.
You should note that specifically the 2008 Aura XE trim with V6 engine option is on consumers reports list of cars to avoid. If you are within the first year of purchase, I would pursue a lemon law replacement. You are almost guaranteed to have a laundry list of failures on that model. I own that exact model and while friends with Aura's have good luck, my car has not gone more than a couple months without some sort of failure.
plattsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
plattsr
plattsr is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
Ok, Shudder, jerking is not normal.
Under light acceleration I can't feel the shifts unless I am really paying attention.
Under medium acceleration I can feel a smooth thump when it shifts.
Hard acceleration gives a quick thump.
Never more than one per gear.

Using the paddles, I have to shift about 1/2 second before I want the shift but they are always quick and smooth.

Before having my Trans reflashed alst month Shifting was smooth and almost un-noticeable under all forms of acceleration. The new program make them a lot quicker.
There have been a lot of posts of shuddering like a slipping torque converter. My only complaint was before the reflash that the first shift into gear, it acted like the torque converter was low on fluid, but wasn't.
Did the dealer reflash for free? If not, how much did this cost? I may consider paying for a flash if dealer cant find anything.
plattsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 AM   #5
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Phaeton and plattsr thanks for the quick responses. It has opened my mind to going ahead and taking the aura in for sure. I really think it could possibly be the torque converter...?? It also phaeton will what i would like to call surge forward or surge in power during take off and shifting.. example. I go to work in the morning, leaving out of my neighborhood onto hwy 20, I will accelerate onto the hwy, all is ok, shift from 1st to 2nd gear, shudder, then shift from 2nd to third gear, shudder, then while holding constant pressure on gas pedal as not to let off or press harder as car is accelerating and shifting, it will all of a sudden surge or give extra boost of power and excel me from say 40-45 mph to 55 mph with very little effort. It does this intermittently, or at random. Its like someone is pressing down harder on the gas pedal to engage passing gear type of surge. I just think the shifting is harsh or too noticeable in a GM 4 speed transmission, never had this issue with other gm/saturn cars.. thx again. keep the ideas flowing. I will schedule appointment with saturn this next week. thx bue05
Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Bue - Also please keep in mind that this could be a lingering remnant from your (fairly significant) left front accident. From the amount of damage show on your photos page, including the drivetrain, you could have some internal damage or mounting-bolt cracks that are just now showing up. If that is the case, you should be able to go back to your insurance company for followup work or within the warranty you received on the finished work (although this can be tricky). The last car I had that was in a serious accident similar to yours, I traded ASAP after I got it back from the body shop. I had argued with the insurance company to total it, but they refused. The finished work was very acceptable and it was not apparent at all. Now, this was many years ago and today our state requires you to sign off on trade-ins that they have not had significant accident repair previous damage. Good luck.
2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsr View Post
Did the dealer reflash for free? If not, how much did this cost? I may consider paying for a flash if dealer cant find anything.
Yes.
There are a number of issues with te programming and if you can describe one or two that match the TSB's they run a diagnostic, read out the history and then reprogram it, all under warranty.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Bue, I have not noticed the same problem. However I have noticed a few things.

There is occasionally a shudder between 40-50 MPH under medium acceleration, when the engine is not downshifting. I cannot isolate the problem and it happens too rarely to cause much of a concern.

The 4spd transmission mated with the 3.5 is definitely very touchy. The programming is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05
of course when you slowdown by breaking or letting up on the gas and then depress the gas pedal to accelerate again it bogs down and growls at you a bit kinda like your wrong for not stopping and then re-accelerate, it makes like a growling or low pitched hmmmm brrrr sound annoying
I'm positive this isn't a problem. This is a design/programming flaw. The transmission does not want to downshift at times. It's VERY irritating, then if you give it too much gas it downshifts from 4-2 or 3-1 and you get a jolt of power that throws you into the back of your seat. It's irritating, but you can get around it. It's the nature of a GM 4spd transmission, many are like that (many are not, as well) I don't think there is much we can do about that.

VW brings up a good point, I wonder if there is an architectural issue with your Aura that stems from the collision. Good luck, keep us updated.
-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Vwcarcrazy, auradrvr89, I couldn't agree more with you! Its a nauseating feeling i get in my stomach everytime something seems awry with the aura, i was so upset about this accident and pissed the car wasn't total. we all know there never the same anywho.... I am going to take it in this next week to saturn to look at it. I will have them tell me hopefully straightforward if there is something wrong what it is.. and if it is something from the wreck and not a mfg defect, i will be stopping by M & S Collision Center. Thats right, I don't care to publicize there name. They did a ****ty job, my aura was out of commission for over 60 days!!! I hate the auto adjuster with american family ins. for being stupid, she priced the aura as a aura xr loaded i believe thats why they didn't total it. Hell once all said and done i left out the gate at purchase for the aura at about 18,995.00 give or take. anyways thanks for listening to me rant. I am just starting to get dissapointed these things are slowly starting to pop up!! The driver door, the transmission, etc.. I love this car to death, i have ever since is inception.. No one could have been prouder to be driving this freaking car around!.. I want to keep it for along time.. but ... maybe i can trade it in on another aura which hasn't been hurt... thanks for your continued support. I believe auradrvr89 is right about the programming and power surge.. I could care less about that if the transmission shudder wasn't there!? bue05
Old 06-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05 View Post
Vwcarcrazy, auradrvr89, I couldn't agree more with you! Its a nauseating feeling i get in my stomach everytime something seems awry with the aura, i was so upset about this accident and pissed the car wasn't total. we all know there never the same anywho.... I am going to take it in this next week to saturn to look at it. I will have them tell me hopefully straightforward if there is something wrong what it is.. and if it is something from the wreck and not a mfg defect, i will be stopping by M & S Collision Center. Thats right, I don't care to publicize there name. They did a ****ty job, my aura was out of commission for over 60 days!!! I hate the auto adjuster with american family ins. for being stupid, she priced the aura as a aura xr loaded i believe thats why they didn't total it. Hell once all said and done i left out the gate at purchase for the aura at about 18,995.00 give or take. anyways thanks for listening to me rant. I am just starting to get dissapointed these things are slowly starting to pop up!! The driver door, the transmission, etc.. I love this car to death, i have ever since is inception.. No one could have been prouder to be driving this freaking car around!.. I want to keep it for along time.. but ... maybe i can trade it in on another aura which hasn't been hurt... thanks for your continued support. I believe auradrvr89 is right about the programming and power surge.. I could care less about that if the transmission shudder wasn't there!? bue05
This might be a good time to consider trading it in on an 09 XR with the 3.6L engine. They are giving some pretty good LOYALTY incentives right now.
I got on in the mail from a dealer near San Diego offering me 5000 GM Loyalty
Dollars if I trade in my 07 on an 09 Saturn Aura or Outlook.

Maybe something similar is available in your area?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

If you take it to Saturn, then tell them it was in an accident and you are having issues - don't expect them to not take that into account if you decide to trade at that same or another GM dealer. Keep in mind that any service department work you have done at Saturn (including "Owner requested inspection of repaired prior accident damage") is documented on their computer for all Saturn & GM dealers to do a "background check". So if they record any info on your car being in an accident, expect them to "gig" you for it in the future, both for warranty work and trade-in value. If the state you live in does not require you to disclose the prior accident damage, then you are best to "dump and run". I agree with Phaeton, now is an excellent time to swap your payments for a new 2009, and get a much better ride for the same or less monthly payment. The deals that Saturn is running right now are fantastic and you will be amazed that you can upgrade, likely for the same or less payment. And you will probably be much happier in the long run. Best luck.
2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote