SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-14-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Start engine w/o clutch

It very much irritates me that I have to press in the clutch to start my 96 SC2. I"m used to popping a car into neutral and then just starting it. If I disconnect the sensor on the clutch will I confuse the upshift light too? (I'd like to get rid of the upshift light too but I believe it will cause me to fail CA SMOG).
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2
Default Re: Start engine w/o clutch

I believe the sensor to make you start with the clutch pedal depressed is so you dont try to start the car while it is in gear (and the clutch not depressed).

I believe it is a simple thing to remove but haven't done it myself. Surely someone else can answer this.
1996 SC1
1995 SC2
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:56 AM   #3
LinuxPunk
LinuxPunk is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I removed my safety switch on my hyundai elantra 04' Its really easy. If you stick you head in the foot compartment and look under the clutch pedal there will be a little button that lines up with the clutch. That is the switch.....I guess you could just tape it down? Im sure you can remove it but then i dont know if it will start without it.

Matt
LinuxPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Some remote car starter companies make a bypass for it. you should check with bulldog or some of the companies that make remote car starters.
SylenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I'm sure it would be pretty easy to disconnect the switch then jumper the wires. As far as what side-effects that could have, I have no idea.
Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It very much irritates me that I have to press in the clutch to start my 96 SC2. I"m used to popping a car into neutral and then just starting it. If I disconnect the sensor on the clutch will I confuse the upshift light too
Saturn makes you do that for your own good. most other automakers make you press the clutch to start too. You could jumper the wires in the switch under the clutch pedal and start whenever you want. the PCM will "think" the clutch is being pressed down all the time. Your cruise control will no longer function if you do this. Pressing the clutch will disengage cruise control.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
Saturn makes you do that for your own good. most other automakers make you press the clutch to start too. You could jumper the wires in the switch under the clutch pedal and start whenever you want. the PCM will "think" the clutch is being pressed down all the time. Your cruise control will no longer function if you do this. Pressing the clutch will disengage cruise control.
The clutch switch does NOT disengage the cruise control. It's at the bottom of the clutch pedal travel. Before it ever closes, the PCM has determined that the revs are skyrocketing upward, but the vehicle speed isn't going up, therefore the clutch is being disengaged, and has thus interrupted the cruise. Obvious test for this: put the clutch down part-way with the cruise engage. You won't open the clutch-starter switch, but the cruise will disengage.

I had a Dodge Omni that had a cruise interrupt switch at the top of the travel, exactly like the brake pedal switch. But the S-cars, at least in '96, have no such switch.

The day I bought my waggin, I unplugged my clutch-starter safety switch, made a jumper out of about six inches of 18-gauge wire with a .250 male blade connector on each end, and jumpered the terminals on the connector. The main reason I did this: imagine your PCM going up the spout. Or your coil packs. Or even something on the fuel side, like the fuel pump. You still have the starter, but the engine obviously won't fire. You're in a bad spot, one that's dangerous in which to get out and push, but 50 feet ahead is a driveway to a parking lot. Well, turn the key, let the clutch up, and for a BRIEF moment, let the starter motor propel the car to a safe spot. I've done this on at least two occasions with previous cars, and would never own a stick-mobile without this capability. Just don't do this for more than a few seconds, as that little electric motor is designed for vehicle propulsion.

Plus, it's nice while working on the car just to reach in thru the window, throw the tranny into neutral and twist the key to start 'er up.

Oh, and I use the cruise almost every time I drive.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:07 AM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

I dont have the clutch safety switch in my SL2. Did a auto to manual swap and decided not to install one. The cruise control works just fine. But it will not disengage when depressing the clutch pedal, only when tapping the brake or accelerator.
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:35 AM   #9
Scott
Scott is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

On my 95 sl1 the clutch switch failed and you couldn't start the car. I drove around for a couple of weeks with the switch connector jumped with a paper clip. Eventually, however, I did replace the switch.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #10
M.Nguyen
M.Nguyen is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1993 SL2

jump the wires. No adverse effect on anything really. I have my wired together for an alarm and it works fine...the only encounter i've had have been people turning the key to turn on the radio and started the car...they soon learn quickly, and you learn to tell others before they decide to do so...
M.Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:36 AM   #11
DieselPaul1980
DieselPaul1980 is on a distinguished road

Attention Re: Start engine w/o clutch

Well, if I may add my two cents...

Here is a simple test to see exactly when your clutch switch engages:

Hold your key in the "start" position.

Slowly depress the clutch.

Chances are, your engine will not turn over until the clutch is nearly to the floor.

What does this mean?

It means that in order for this type of switch to effect the cruise control, you would have to depress the clutch to the floor each time you shift--as almost noone does. Instead, the cruise is driven by the computer (PCM, [P]owertrain [C]ontrol [M]odule) sensing the RPM's shoot up excessively without a change in vehicle speed. When this occurs, the cruise will disengage until you depress the "resume" button.

There is no harm in jumpering this type of clutch switch. As I see one person suggested, the simplest thing to do is just to wrap the switch in tape and then if you ever need it for anything you just take the tape off and it returns to its original state. Alternatively, you could simply cut both of the two wires which are attached to the switch and tie them together.

One thing I did not see anyone mention is that some clutch switches (especially in foreign models) are wired CHEAPLY, and use a technology called reverse continuity -- what this means is that the switch does not break or complete a positive charge by being depressed or relased. In simpler terms, this type of system will have only one wire attached to the switch, and uses the vehicles ground (by the switch merely being attached to something grounded such as the clutch pedal) to complete a circuit. This being the case, you can simply remove the single wire from the switch and attach it to something grounded.

No matter how you do it, I have never run into a problem in any case with disabling a "neutral safety switch" as that is essentially what a clutch pedal switch is only on a standard instead of an automatic. The difference being that on an automatic, since there is no clutch, the safety switch is in the gearshift making sure the vehicle is in park or neutral if it is allowed to start. Otherwise, stadard, or automatic; anyone could just go around starting their vehicle in any gear, causing it to lunge. So with that I offer you this piece of advise: If you ARE intent on disabling your car's neutral safety switch, please refrain from starting your car in any gear other than neutral.

As for the case where the gentlemen gave the example of someone being 50 feet from a safe parking lot .. well, I guess maybe I am a big guy, but I would prefer to push the vehicle to safety over using the starter to get it there. Reason being, as he said, the starter is intended to turn a flywheel, with little resistance; not to propel a vehicle with its transmission engaged. But hey, if the starter is under warranty, and you can do the work yourself, and its cold and rainy or snowy and you just want to get home--by all means, stay in the nice warm vehicle, use your starter to get you to safety, and deal with the reprocussions later. I do hope you have a battery with a fair amount of cranking amps though, as if you don't, you may not even make it into the spot you so desperately wish to travel to in that not-so-distant lot.

Regards,

Diesel.
DieselPaul1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPaul1980
It means that in order for this type of switch to effect the cruise control, you would have to depress the clutch to the floor each time you shift--as almost noone does. Instead, the cruise is driven by the computer (PCM, [P]owertrain [C]ontrol [M]odule) sensing the RPM's shoot up excessively without a change in vehicle speed. When this occurs, the cruise will disengage until you depress the "resume" button.
This much you can determine by looking at the switch. It's on the floor. Contrast this with a brake pedal stoplight/cruise switch, which is on a bracket at the top of the pedal's travel.

Quote:
There is no harm in jumpering this type of clutch switch. As I see one person suggested, the simplest thing to do is just to wrap the switch in tape and then if you ever need it for anything you just take the tape off and it returns to its original state. Alternatively, you could simply cut both of the two wires which are attached to the switch and tie them together.
The jumper method doesn't even require any removal of tape. It's easily removed/reinstalled. I wouldn't recommend the paper clip, except for brief moments, as it's uninsulated.

Quote:
As for the case where the gentlemen gave the example of someone being 50 feet from a safe parking lot .. well, I guess maybe I am a big guy, but I would prefer to push the vehicle to safety over using the starter to get it there. Reason being, as he said, the starter is intended to turn a flywheel, with little resistance; not to propel a vehicle with its transmission engaged. But hey, if the starter is under warranty, and you can do the work yourself, and its cold and rainy or snowy and you just want to get home--by all means, stay in the nice warm vehicle, use your starter to get you to safety, and deal with the reprocussions later. I do hope you have a battery with a fair amount of cranking amps though, as if you don't, you may not even make it into the spot you so desperately wish to travel to in that not-so-distant lot.
Try getting out to push on the Lodge Freeway in Detroit, where, if you pull off on the shoulder, you better not have too many coats of paint or you'll get side-swiped. Shoot, there are places here in Madison where opening your driver's door can turn your SLx into a three-door. It's not about size (or comfort, or convenience), it's about safety. I can push my wife's F-150 up and down a gravel driveway with ease. But exiting a vehicle in a traffic lane is an inherently life-threatening exercise. Of the times I've had to do this, it's never affected the life of the starter; I probably couldn't say that about my own keester if I had gotten out to push.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #13
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Years back I worked with this fool who thought he had to be the first one out the parking lot at the end of the day. He parked his S10 backwards so he could fire the truck and speed out of the lot. He went so far as to remove the clutch interlock so he could start it in gear.

It worked great until I went out at lunch jacked up his truck and stuffed a concrete block under the differential....

Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #14
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Awesome reply to a 16 year old post!
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Awesome reply to a 16 year old post!
Lol... Good thing necroposting isn' t a capital offense......
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #16
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

A few years ago (well, many years ago), my Dad was taking us somewhere in our 58 Ford. The engine stalled at a traffic light and wouldn't start. He was able to move the car to the side of the road using the starter in low gear without the engine running. Can't do that with the dumb clutch switch. Although, maybe starter motors were a bit tougher 60 years ago.
96 SW2 5MT
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote