saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
kevin21403
kevin21403 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Dealer Installed Pinstripes

I want to remove the dealer installed pinstripes from my 2004 Saturn Vue AWD V6. My VUE is black and the pinstripes are gold. I just don't think they look right. Has anyone tried this before? They were a $25 dealer installed option. I bought the VUE off of the lot.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

i waited until a hot day (or warm day) then simply but carefully peeled them off. They'll leave a residue behind which can be taken off with WD-40 or paint and clearcoat-friendly adhesive remover. Finally, wax over the area or use detailer like i use (i recommend Meguiar's Quick Detail).....pinstripes today, gone tomorrow!! i had dull silver stripes on mine and VUE letters on the C-pillar which also went the way of the dodo. i retained the SATURN lettering on the black plastic piece ("eyebrow") above the tag however.
Hmmmm....my sticker listed the stripes as a $199 option...money that could've been spent on other items....what the hell i got a demo and got a good deal on it at that........
-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L
Old 05-04-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
vue04
vue04 is on a distinguished road

Default Remove Pinstripes

Wait for a hot day. Peel off. Use petroleum based product like "goof-off" or similar to wipe off residue. Do not use any abrasives or you'll see scratches. Gasoline works well, use with care.

Paint thinner also good, but not as good as gasoline.

Good Luck.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
hunterj792
hunterj792 is on a distinguished road

It's much easier to have the dealer take them off!!! They won't charge you for them if you ask them to take them off. If they mess somthing up... then it's on them and they have to fix it.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Remove Pinstripes

Quote:
Originally posted by vue04
Wait for a hot day. Peel off. Use petroleum based product like "goof-off" or similar to wipe off residue. Do not use any abrasives or you'll see scratches. Gasoline works well, use with care.

Paint thinner also good, but not as good as gasoline.

Good Luck.
Gasoline & Paint thinner are not a good idea if you like your paint, clearcoat, and wax! Goodness both of those will first take off the wax, then if you use enough the clearcoat and paint! So like vue04 - USE WITH CARE! And I add at your own risk! LOL
04SilverVue
DFW, Texas
Old 05-04-2004, 06:17 PM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

There is a high likelyhood that thinner was used on your VUE at delivery if there was any tar or anything else on it though.
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
Old 05-04-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
vue04
vue04 is on a distinguished road

Default Petro Products

A little never hurts. Most waxes main ingredients is petroleum disillates anyways. I'm not suggesting washing you Vue in it. Just re-wax it if it makes you feel better.

Is this or isn't this a real SUV (sport UTILITY vehicle) or not. Expect the scratches and scrapes, you'll feel better after it happens.

Good Luck!
Old 05-04-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
bob shanks
bob shanks is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I think you said it all. It is an suv so the hell with the scrapes and marks.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

Well I am in the new car phase. I just got my Vue a month ago in 2 more days so I am still pampering her like crazy. In fact I just got in from a 2 1/2 hour car wash with McGuires Gold Car Shampoo. I took my new bug remover and got all the little buggers off. Did the wheels up with some shiny Eagle Wet Tire Dressing. Then used my new Lamb Skin Camisole to finish her off! Detailed the door jams and interior too. I think I might take some pictures of her! She looks sharp right now! LOL
04SilverVue
DFW, Texas
Old 05-04-2004, 08:26 PM   #10
hunterj792
hunterj792 is on a distinguished road

Yea, SUV or not... I'm gonna keep my baby looking new!!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #11
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally posted by hunterj792
Yea, SUV or not... I'm gonna keep my baby looking new!!
Amen, you baby your car and it will give you many great years. At least that is my theory. Wash her at LEAST every 2 weeks and no matter what change her oil every 3K - she'll last forever. LOL Right...
04SilverVue
DFW, Texas
Old 05-05-2004, 06:02 AM   #12
nortsr
nortsr is on a distinguished road

Take a blow dryer, heat the area as you peel off the pinstripe.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:08 PM   #13
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

i want my VUE to look brand new too. What am i saying? It IS brand new!!!....i mean i want it to look as good in 5 years when i get her paid for as she looks now. i detail her regularly, use a California Car Duster and i'm gonna wax her soon after a thourough wash job....there are 2 guys i work with that have SUVs.....one has a '99 Blazer that shines like my VUE because he keeps it immaculate.....one is from the other end of the spectrum and the only time his Explorer gets a bath is when it rains!!
-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L
Old 05-05-2004, 09:44 PM   #14
CooperS
CooperS is on a distinguished road

My Vue is about 6 weeks old now, and has been waxed three times (Mothers Caraneuba paste)... My baby is washed AT LEAST once a week (Mothers California Gold Car Wash), and has the inside dusted/ vacuumed about the same. The seats are treated with Kiwi leather treatment once every two weeks (Note, if you can find this, use it on your tires generously- it gives an amazing wet look, and doesn't splash at all when driving like other products!). The dash, and inner pannels are cleaned with Turtle Wax composite cleaner. The windows are done up about every 3-4 weeks with Rain-X on the outside, and Rain-X anti fog on the inside (try this... it's brillaint).

Lets see.... Ohh yeah, since i've written this mich...
Before a good waxing, find some "Pink Stuff" degreaser, and add it to the wash solution. This will remove ALL of your wax, but is safe for clear coats, and it bio-degradable. Then, apply wax in the shade, and buff off with an electric buffer if you're careful!

** My vue is shiny!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #15
jinjimbob
jinjimbob is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Wow Cooper, do you have time to ride it between the cleaning sesions?

I wash mine every 6 months whether it needs it or not.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:51 PM   #16
CooperS
CooperS is on a distinguished road

To tell you the truth, it doesn't take all that long. Washing only takes about 20 minutes (30 if i dry), and me going crazy is about 2 hours. I think i spend more time on my Mini, which is the smallest car in the U.S...
Old 05-10-2004, 05:10 PM   #17
kevin21403
kevin21403 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

This past Saturday was warm and sunny. I peeled off the pinstripes by hand. I then took WD-40 and rubbed it over the pinstripe glue. Looks like they were never there. My Vue looks much better without the pinstripes.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Black 2004 Saturn VUE AWD V6
Old 05-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #18
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally posted by CooperS
My Vue is about 6 weeks old now, and has been waxed three times (Mothers Caraneuba paste)... My baby is washed AT LEAST once a week (Mothers California Gold Car Wash), and has the inside dusted/ vacuumed about the same. The seats are treated with Kiwi leather treatment once every two weeks (Note, if you can find this, use it on your tires generously- it gives an amazing wet look, and doesn't splash at all when driving like other products!). The dash, and inner pannels are cleaned with Turtle Wax composite cleaner. The windows are done up about every 3-4 weeks with Rain-X on the outside, and Rain-X anti fog on the inside (try this... it's brillaint).

Lets see.... Ohh yeah, since i've written this mich...
Before a good waxing, find some "Pink Stuff" degreaser, and add it to the wash solution. This will remove ALL of your wax, but is safe for clear coats, and it bio-degradable. Then, apply wax in the shade, and buff off with an electric buffer if you're careful!

** My vue is shiny!
Well to each his own but from what I have read before you should wax no more than every 3 months and remove all the wax by putting 1/8 cup of rubbing alcohol in with your suds but only once a year! Too much waxing and stripping can cause fading and premature wear of the paint....
But anyway... I think I read that on either the Mothers site or the McGuires site.
04SilverVue
DFW, Texas
Old 05-10-2004, 06:09 PM   #19
04SilverVue
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L

OK I was wrong! I just went on www.meguiars.com and had my car RXed. It is pretty cool. They give you what products to use (I have always used Meguiars Gold Class) and how often to use them.

1. Wash every week with Meguiars Gold Class Premium Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner. (I already do.)

2. Surface Prep 3 times a year with Meguiars Scratch X. (Never heard of doing this.)

3. Polish 8 to 10 times a year with Meguiars Deep Crystal System Poilsh. (Never heard of doing this.)

4. Wax at least 10 times a year using Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax. (I already use the Gold Class but not 10+ times a year. Wow)

So I guess you are taking proper car of your Vue! I hate to say but 4 to 6 times is about all I can manage with the wife and babies! LOL
04SilverVue
DFW, Texas
Closed Thread