SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
scw2
scw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
1999 SC2
Default loss of power

Ok so the other day i ported and polished a throttle body for my 97 sw2 5 speed. I had to swap the vacuum plugs for my throttle body from the purge valve to make it function. It seemed to work. But it gradually seemed to lose power. Now acceleration is horrible. Im not sure if the vacuum line swap could be causing this or if the platinum in the cat happened to fall apart around the same time i did the swap. The pick up is horrible, it is ok if u find the sweet spot in the pedal. The car also seems to surge when im up to speed. This is pretty consistent, but is sometimes worse than others. HELP PLEASE!
scw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: loss of power

I'm not sure what you mean by "Vacuum Plugs"... if the car is losing power I would verify that the Throttle Position Sensor is still good, and the plugs are properly gapped at .040

What is the condition of your EGR valve (it's electronic on the 97 model year) and have you removed the EGR valve and covered that port with some a piece of an aluminum can to see if it runs any better.

Also- don't run Platinum plugs in your engine. The Platinum plugs burn hotter and are not recommended in the S-Series engine. There are quite a few post debates back and forth about people saying that they are good- but I have run regular NGK plugs in my S-Series cars for almost 20 years without any issues.

I would check that your lines are all good and that you don't have any leaks.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Swapping to a '93-'95ish TB on a '95ish-'99 (not 100% sure year of change, probably with the change to adjustable FPR in '95) means you also have to swap the vacuum harness.
The main problem I see with doing that, is the big line goes to the FPR and the change in the harness puts it on the opposite side of the throttle plate. This means the FPR will be acting different than expected. If I could be sure I swapped the TB on my '96, I'd blame that change in the way the FPR works on what I suspect is a burned valve in the engine.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
scw2
scw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of lightscw2 is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
1999 SC2

No i havent done anything different with the egr valve. Plugs are gapped right ngk r's. Would a burnt valve come from a short supply of fuel? Or to much air?
scw2 is offline   Reply With Quote