saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 08-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #1
bigdawg7299
bigdawg7299 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Reduced power light on

Hi,
I have an 02 vue 2.2l 5 speed. Reduced power light came on randomly a few weeks ago, shut it off and restarted it and it drove fine. Did this intermittently and now itís constant. DTC p1221 and p1271 are present. Cleared codes and they came back immediately. Any common things to check first? I was told about a 40 pin connector in the drivers kick panel that likes to cause issues, my vue has no connector at all. Any help would be appreciated.
bigdawg7299 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Reduced power light on

P1221 may be; Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1- 2 Correlation. Your EFI system uses a drive by wire system; electronic pedal, electric throttle and ecm controlling throttle.
https://www.engine-light-help.com/sa...ine-light.html
https://www.repairprocedures.com/ser...6_1253054.html

The second link provides the wiring diagram of ecm, pedal and throttle to show dual position sensors in throttle and pedal. If one of these four position sensors outputs signals outside a specific range, the ecm determines a fault, triggers an error code and defaults to reduced engine power to prevent an engine runaway. Limiting engine power to less than 15% will allow limping off the road for the emergency call or driving it (slowly) home. Whether you had the engine drop power or not, this problem may be difficult to troubleshoot as it involves three elements (throttle actuator assembly, pedal and ecm) and associated wiring.

P1271 may be about the pedal; APP Sensor 1-2 Performance (acceleration pedal position)

https://www.engine-codes.com/p1271.html
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
bigdawg7299

2002 VUE 2.2L

I swapped in a known good throttle body and that didnít solve it, car did lose power and is still non driveable. I pulled the app, checked the harness for any damage/ bad connections and saw none. Is there anywhere to find out what values I should see on the two sensors on the app? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a new app and slap on it?
Old 08-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Drive by wire throttle systems are all electronic and not for the average diyer attempting to troubleshoot without familiarity with a dvm or multimeter. Since there are four position sensors operating on 5v levels, I'm using my info from my GM/Saturn service manuals for L300s as a general description of voltages on each sensor. In one pair, one varies the 5v signal from 0-4.9 vdc while the second one either varies voltage in reverse, 4.9-0 vdc or varies output to half the 5v value. Each pair of position sensors are continuously feeding signals to the ecm for comparison of memory values. If any one value is out out range from memory then its determined a pedal or throttle actuator is at fault. A normal drive by wire system should act the same as a cable driven throttle connected to the pedal; press the pedal and throttle should open in direct proportion to pedal travel. With ignition on, pressing pedal should tell the ecm to open throttle in proportion to pedal travel.

I've never measured all four position sensors with ignition off or on.
VCX NANO
Old 08-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
bigdawg7299

2002 VUE 2.2L

Using a DMM isnít a biggie, I used to install mobile electronics and did board level electronics repair for a living. Biggest issue is I canít seem to find what the values should be on both sides. From what I e read you are definitely correct that one increases while the other decreases. Itís set up as a checks and balances system. I just hate to buy an app (theyíre not cheap) and hope it fixes it. It would be nice to know what one side should read in comparison to the other. Iím about to just junk this thing and call it a day.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:44 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try searching past threads within these forums for Saturn service manual error code descriptions for Vues, wiring diagrams, etc. If not here, alternatives are subscription to either alldata.diy or Mitchell for online service manuals. Some libraries have free access to alldata.

Some errors may point out a sensor but includes associated wiring, fuel, vacuum and other related issues including the ecm so a broader perspective is given when diagnosing a technical problem like this one.
VCX NANO