Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL
Default Best way to paint hubs?

So,

The only, and I mean only, wear parts of my front suspension that I didn't replace is the front wheel bearings. Well, after some investigation, the passenger's one for sure is shot.

I grabbed a salvage yard spare pair for the purpose. What's the best way to paint them? I have access to a sand blaster cabinet so I'll clean them up perfect. Would I be better to prime them then spray or just go with a couple brushed coats of rustoleum? I figure after paint I'll take them in to get the new bearings pressed in.

Any advice is appreciated.
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Best way to paint hubs?

The guy that provides knuckle/bearing service on 6s does this:
Quote:
Using sandblasted and painted (2 coats primer, 3 coats black, 2 coats clear... ALL high temp engine enamel) knuckle. Ready for installation and very rust resistant (plus it just looks clean).

Took out the parts where he says what he use's for parts & pricing.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

fetchitido, can you please put the link to the gent that sells them painted? If the price is fair I may go that route. Lots of time to do that and it's worth a few extra beans to buy it done to me.

Here's the quotes or the parts and press work. I might as well do both since this will require an alignment any way you slice it. The shop is a bit pricey but it's one of the few shops around that can do machine shop work:

28 per side to do the press work.
44 per side for just the bearing
65 per side for a full new hub assembly with bearing.

Total is 144 minimal or 186 for the new hub too. That plus 50ish or an alignment. Paint is cheap but time isn't.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Do not paint the area where the bearing lives or the tapered ball joint seat. Thick paint coat at the strut mount point will be problematic as well. As these do not see sunlight to any extent I would use black POR-15 and just clean them up and degrease them first. You can remove the old bearings and then replace both the hub and bearing. Measure axial and radial runout after assembly. Ask if the shop does that when they do that work. For the price they sure should be. You can almost buy your own press for those prices.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Do the hub with the bearing! The hubs don't last forever, and that extra $40 will turn into the price of this entire procedure if you need to replace the hub later on.
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
. For the price they sure should be. You can almost buy your own press for those prices.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/
These prices are a bit shiny agreed. They are the only local shop I have found that does it.

Am I approaching this correctly? Is there a smarter way to do this?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I would remove the knuckle or strip the one I have from the yard. Give it the 15 minute wire brush clean up and carefully clean the bearing area. Then I would mask off the bearing area and the taper seat. The rest would get a coat of POR-15 black and that would be th end of it. I might wash it in Marine Clean followed by Prep & Ready. Then reassemble with new bearing and hub preferably SKF. The POR-15 will outlast the car. Still not cheap though.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

User "anti-rice" on sixthsphere.com
http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/sho...epair-Pressing

Quote:
I now have a 20 ton press so any of you s-series guys who want a wheel bearing pressed I can do that now. Here's how it works.

- I will use only brand new National (Moog) front wheel bearing and hub kits. I will also supply the knuckle. I have many for both drivers and passengers side.

- I will install the bearing as well as sandblast/paint the knuckle with only high temp engine enamel. Anyone who has seen my build thread knows what this will look like. See the pics.

- After the service is provided, I will mail you the knuckle. It will be ready for installation and use. The return of your worn knuckle and bearing will result in a core charge refund.

OPTIONS:

1) I will press in only a new bearing, and not the hub (#510024). Includes new bearing and snap ring. Reusing an old hub and no treatment to the knuckle itself. No sandblasting or painting of the knuckle.
TOTAL COST: $100 + shipping ($25 return core on your old knuckle, makes the cost $75 + shipping)

2) I will press in a new bearing AND hub (#518514). Includes new bearing, snap ring, and front hub. Using sandblasted and painted (2 coats primer, 3 coats black, 2 coats clear... ALL high temp engine enamel) knuckle. Ready for installation and very rust resistant (plus it just looks clean).
TOTAL COST: $140 + shipping ($25 return core on your old knuckle, makes the cost $115 + shipping)

Like I said I have knuckles as core laying around so there will be no delay. Any questions or special requests, please shoot me a pm or get at me via my cell phone (many of you have that info). I will also entertain different combinations (ie. no blasting or painting but you would like the new bearing and hub.) PAYPAL IS: ndmasonry@hotmail.com Please include the 3.2% paypal fee with your payment.

Probably would be best to PM the guy on sixsphere before just sending him money...
Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Pricey for having to send it away. My local shop will do a bearing + hub + alignment for 210.

edit: nm, just read about the part where he paints it.
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
You can almost buy your own press for those prices.
I love it when you casually drop something like that. That comment got me firing up my google machine.

Turns out, Autozone has a bearing press kit in their borrow a tool deal.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...-Race/_/N-264s

Check out this complete hub from amazon. 27.74 each. Anybody heard of the Precision brand before?
http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Auto...8&sr=1-3-fkmr2

The SKF from rockauto is 62.79 each for comparison sake. Shipping cost is forgiven by the 5% discount code.

My local Glendale Auto supply uses the National Brand which was the 64 price. If I am not mistaken, National is a Moog brand which speaks of good quality.

This website has Timken which I know is a good brand for or 48.35. Free shipping.
http://www.wheelbearingwarehouse.com

Is SKF the way to go or does anyone have experience with these or other hub rebuild kits?

With that Press Kit, would one be able to do this by one's self? That's 1 big honkin' snapring. Any advice on handling that?

I have 56 bucks of labor to have this done. If I can do it on my own for not much more I'll go for it. Too many tools in the box has never been a problem.

Last edited by velleguy73; 02-25-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 27$ part has a 12,000 mile/12 month warranty and Amazon will be good for it. I would give it a shot as most of the bearing replacement failures are due to improper Assembly.

SKF is about as good American bearings get. The best come from Japan

When installing the new parts the trick is to be absolutely certain you do not apply force across the bearing balls. Only press against the race you want to move and support the inner race when pressing in the hub. Very carefully clean the bearing seat in the knuckle.

If the cheap part is junk it will crap out before the warranty is up.

The parts store kit is not what you want unless you happen to have a press. Harbor Freight used to have one but no more.

You need a slide hammer puller to pull the old hub. And the wheel bearing tool to install the new one and the ones on Amazon are expensive.

This thing and a hand full of sockets and pipe couplings and you are in business. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...ess-33497.html

Last edited by OldNuc; 02-25-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

Amazon has those lovely toys as well for about the same dollar. Unfortunately, that becomes a piece of furniture in the garage. I'll troll craigslist a bit but I'm thinking I may just have the shop do it. Funny you mention the side loading while pressing bearings. I showed that to the neighborhood kid on his skate board. He was complaining how often he replaced bearings as I watched him hit the center part with a hammer. It made sense when I explained it to him via skateboard.

You are probably right the 27 dollar part is probably fine but, considering I'm in for an alignment sunk cost, I'll stick with a known brand. I figure I'll go for the Timken and match the back ones or the National/Moog ones will be fine I'm sure.

Would you need special snapring pliers to get that sucker out? I already started soaking my spares with penetrating oil.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Some have a tab on each end you can get an awl or small screwdriver under to pick them out and some do not. Finding any with the lugs and 2 holes would be unusual. Removing the jesus rings can be the hardest part of the job.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
Some have a tab on each end you can get an awl or small screwdriver under to pick them out and some do not. Finding any with the lugs and 2 holes would be unusual. Removing the jesus rings can be the hardest part of the job.
I see the round snapring holes on my spares. If I get the rings out, can I just hammer the old ones out? Might save me a bean or to if I can strip the old parts out.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You have to get the hub out first and then you can punch the bearing out with the big socket and hammer. Clean all rust out from behind the bearing or it will get stuck. The hub can be punched out from the back If you think about this as the knuckle is off the car you can install the new bearings with a long bolt and a couple of sockets. Same with the new hubs.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

I just ordered 2 sets of Timken complete hubs and bearing from Amazon. I have my donor hubs soaking in penetrating oil and I have some feelers out for a press. If I can get that snapring out, i'll see if I can safely press in the hub with existing tools. If not, I'll paint up the hubs have the shop do the pressing.

I must admit, it's a little odd to order car parts from Amazon. Lots of good stuff there.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Amazon has expanded their reach greatly. I check Amazon first for just about everything now.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #18
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
Amazon has expanded their reach greatly. I check Amazon first for just about everything now.
I don't trust 'em. They either tell me the only part that does fit, doesn't or don't list it at all. At least with every other parts place's "does it fit" thing the worst it does is call my pop-up headlights and just about everything else related to performance a "performance package". Means they think the DOHC and pop-up's and everything unique to a '91-'96 SC2 is an option and not a MODEL feature.

Amazon has gotten a better from where they were a few months ago so they are trying but they're still not at the same level as everyone else.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I have never used the --does it fit feature-- anywhere and find it very irritating when I want to search inventory at a vendor for example Autozone/Advance/O'Reilly/J.C. Whitney etc. This feature is sufficiently irritating that I do not go to those sites. At least Amazon does not force its use. For example if you want a price on an item you have a part number for you still have to know what it fits before the site will check inventory and provide a price. It is an electronic implementation of the uninformed, uncaring, unknowing counter clerk.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #20
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

Update on my bad idea.

The hubs and bearings should be here tomorrow. So, like any saturn fan, I purchased a cheap jack press today. It was 12 ton and waaaaay cheap for 116 out the door.

You guessed it, I got what I paid for. Flimsy and defective. The bottom brace has a welded piece on the end that is supposed to fit in the web of a channel. It's as wide as the channel and thus doesn't fit. The other side of the brace is correct and fits. I think Kathy Lee's kids in Indochina were slacking off when they made this thing.

Bad part, the arbors and the cheezey work base is too small. I can't fit it around the hub within the gap of the work surface. I'm gonna have to get some steel to get this spaced out so I can press on the back of the bearing to get the oldie out.

Depending how this goes, I may return this thing and pay the 28 beans a side for a shop to do this. I picked out the retainer snapring and man, it took a while.

Wish me luck