SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
boojunji
boojunji is on a distinguished road

Default P0301 and P0507

My Mom's 2001 Saturn SL1 has had the check engine light on for a while. I borrowed a code reader and the codes came back 301, 442, 507. I searched this site, created a list and took my list to Autozone. I picked up a new gas cap, new spark plugs/wires, pcv valve, idle air crontol valve, cleaned the throttle body (followed the link to youtube) and put it all back together. Dang thing runs worse than before. What gives? When i started it the engine reved up to 1500 - 2000 rpms, then slowly backed down but was still high. When I put it in gear it stayed running however it was very rough sounding and the car shook. It smelled kind of hot and the wires were very hot (not sure if that is normal or not) What did I do wrong? The car has the base 4 cyl engine, auto trans w/ 91,000 miles. Oh, the check engine light popped back on and this time the codes ran 301 and 507. Thanks in advance.
boojunji is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: P0301 and P0507

First big question; what brand of plugs and what number did you put in the car?

Second, did you replace teh plug wires?

Third, is the firing order correct? Check it. There is a picture on the big label under the hood.

Forth, the #1 and #4 plug wire MUST run next to each other from the coil to the head and be in the wire clips.

You probably have an intake vacuum leak. Did you replace the throttle body gasket?

The 2001 SL-1 has a known defective intake manifold gasket at the #1 cylinder. this causes a miss on #1 and the P507. You need to replace the intake manifold gasket.

Select search on the menu above and then advanced search. search in the S-Series Tech and How-To Library for <2001 intake> or <intake leak> or <vacuum leak 2001> and you will get much information including how to change it. Its not a bad job if you have a decent place to work. The reason it runs worse is probably you bought Bosch platinum plugs, they do not work in a Saturn. You want NGK BKR4ESA-11 and nothing else.

The parts guy is there to sell you something, he knows nothing about Saturn cars.

Welcome to the Forums!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
boojunji

well crap diddle. i did use bosch plugs and wires.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The wires are OK, or should be. Get NGK plugs. You also have a vacuum leak but the NGK will make it run a bit better. You can gently squirt brake cleaner on the intake around the #1 cylinder and you will hear the idle drop down towards normal when you hit the leak. It will be leaking on the top and bottom most likely.

Every parts counter clown in the country is pushing those Bosch plugs. Regardless if they will function properly or not.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
boojunji

what about code 301, IAc...it's new, is it faulty? or would the throttle body gasket cause that?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The P301 is a misfire on cylinder #1. the P507 is idle RPM >100RPM above PCM commanded. Those 2 codes together are the symptoms of an original factory defect in installing the intake manifold gasket. When you change it you will find that it has a fold in it right at the #1 Cylinder. Sucks air and leans out #1 so that it will not fire. The additional air runs up the RPM.

Run the advanced searches and you will find the entire story. Its about a 4 hour job the first time you do it and teh dealer or a shop would charge more than you want to hear. If you can not get the searches to work for you say so and i will go look.

look at the bright side, now you know what is wrong with it.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

This is the link to the How-To on replacing the gasket.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...+intake+gasket

I searched on replace intake gasket and you can fine even more by repeating teh search and using those other strings.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
boojunji

thanks for the direct link but I don't know man, I am nervous to try and undertake that type of tasks..i have only ever done routine maitence, never took anything apart that i'm afaird i either won't get back together or if I do it will get worse. If i change out the sparkplugs again, will the car be ok to run? Ma thinks it's embarassing that it idles so high, but she doesn't know it idles even higher now. Man i don't know what to do..thanks for all the advice though, i really do appreciate it.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Read the post on changing the gasket. then go look at the job. Its not hard just keep track of all of the nuts and bolts in bags so you know where they came from. the leak only gets worse when it finally lets go. this is the way they all fail. That high RPM is real hard on the transmission also. I think rc-1488 even listed all of the tools that it takes to do the job. A shop will want 400 to 500 dollars to do the job.

Do you have any local friends who do their own car work?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
boojunji

i don't really have any friends that work on cars. I have to pull the belts off?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
boojunji

Thank you OldNuc, you've been a great help. do you ever sleep?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you have power steering, which you do then yes. It is only one belt. There is a lot of information on getting the belt off but the first thing is tools. Do you have any? And if so what.

It would be a good idea to get a can of brake cleaner and actually look for that leak.

Last edited by OldNuc; 06-27-2009 at 12:23 AM.