SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
SweetErica
SweetErica is on a distinguished road

Dizzy '96 SL2 sudddenly won't turnover

Alrighty, I know I'm gonna get a million possibilities, but i need to ask anyway. Last night drove my '96 SL2 approx. 40 miles out of town and back, no problems. Parked it in its usal spot. Went out this morning to start it, and it tries like hell to start, but won't turn over, just keeps cranking and cranking. Has gas, oil, antifreeze, etc, no problems last night, and jumpstarting did nothing to help. Could it be my starter? No problems starting before this morning. HELP!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #2
my99sl1
my99sl1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default Re: '96 SL2 sudddenly won't turnover

it could be the starter maybe even the alternator. How long have you had the battery? Usually you change them every 3 years or so and it maybe wont hold a charge. Pull out the starter and alternator and take it to a place like AutoZone and they will test it for you and tell you if it works or not
Old 12-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #3
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Erica
If I may suggest (fuel pump), when you first turn the ignition key to the first resting position (not starting the engine), do you here, coming from under the glove compartment, the sound of the pump priming itself It last for about 3 seconds, and then the sound stops. If you don't here that sound, it usually indicates that the pump has failed. When attemping to start the engine, it will simply not, based on the fact the engine is not getting any fuel.

Let us know of the test you should try Turn the key to just prior to attemtping to start the engine--and sense if the sound is present
> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired
Old 12-17-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

how many miles ya got on that?? And if you want, you could just sell the car, to someone like me...I can have it off your hands by christmas...
Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...
Old 12-17-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
SweetErica

Mad Re: '96 SL2 sudddenly won't turnover

Update...yes, I can hear my fuel pump priming, no problem with that. I drained the battery trying to get the darn thing started, took it to AutoZone to charge it, and talked to them. They suggested it could be the fuel filter, but to try spraying some starting fluid in my throttle body..tried that, and the engine tried to catch, but didn't. I tried to disconnect my fuel filter as to try and clean it out for a temporary fix (so did about three guys that happened by), and none of us could get the 'quick release' connector loose, so I gave up and reconnected my air housing. Tried several more times to start the car, and it really is trying to catch, but feels as tho it isn't getting any pressure when i press the accelerator. Goes for about half a second and dies. Any suggestions?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
SweetErica

oh yeah, I should probably mention my Satty's been throwing a MAP code (P0108) for awhile, but being a poor single mom, and it not giving me any grief, I have yet to do anything about it. Could this be the culprit?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

I'm wondering if that MAP sensor has not become clogged. If memory serves me, that unit can be lifted off, and using a pipe (as in smoking pipe type) cleaner, check to see if it is not clogged up. I believe that you'll find the unit on the back of the engine, to the left of the power steering resevoir.

Others on this site may be able to better direct you to it's location, should I be wrong.
> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired
Old 12-17-2004, 07:53 PM   #8
SweetErica

I do know where the MAP sensor is, actually (thanks, Haynes). I just haven't fiddled with it yet..why make more of a problem if it isn't the solution to my current one...lol. I am reading quite a bit on this site and others about crankshaft position sensors...its got me wondering if i should try that or just throw in the towel and call the mechanic who way overcharges... Would have been so much nicer if this had happened AFTER Christmas instead of after I spent all my money shopping
Old 12-17-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Not sure if this will help, but check your fuses. The underhood fuse box contains some large fuses for the ignition. It's quick and easy to check. Sometimes it's the little things that we overlook.

Keep us posted on the resolution so future searchers can find out how it was fixed.

--Tom
Not a Saturn.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:38 PM   #10
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Let's back up and start again... I'd recommend that you first verify that you have regular spark when cranking. If you have no spark, or get 1 spark only, your crank position sensor is suspect. If you have a good, regular spark when cranking, we have eliminated msot electrical gremlins.

Now on to checking fuel - after you've tried to start it, pull out one (or more) of the plugs and see if it is moist/wet with fuel. If dry, you have a fuel delivery problem which could be caused by several things and requires further diagnostics.

One thing to try if it doesn't appear to have fuel is to verify fuel is under pressure at the fuel rail. Look for a valve that looks like an oversized version of the valve on a tire stem - a Schader valve. It has a screw on cap and a center pintle. Get a rag, then turn the ignition on until the fuel pump stops, then quickly cover the valve with a shop rag and briefly press in the pintle. A stream of fuel shoot strongly squirt from the valve. Be careful to not shoot yourself with the gas - that's what the rag is prevent. You want to do this outside and away from flame (duh). If fuel doesn't shoot out, you may have a severely plugged fuel filter or a bum fuel fuel pump. Since the problem occurred suddenly, I'm thinking the cause is not the fuel filter.

Assuming you got a strong stream of fuel in the previous test, another check you can try is the same test but this time wait 30 minutes or so and see if the stream remains as strong. If the stream is weak or is nothing, the fuel pressure regulator is suspect.

Now, if you have both spark and fuel, you may want to try pushing and holding the gas pedal down all the way while starting it - also known as clear flood mode. It is possible that due to a failed sensor or a leaky fuel pressure regulator the engine could be flooding itself when you try to start it. Wide open throttle will clear the flood as it disables the injectorsfrom adding more fuel.

Let's also hope the pros stop by shortly and offer more experienced and practical knowledge.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:40 PM   #11
SweetErica

thanks, Tom, will do, ya never know. I just don't get how it was running perfectly fine when i turned it off last night, and this morning, no-go. Seems like it would be something that faultered yet didn't affect the fact that the car was already running, as it was driven non-stop on the highway for over 40 miles+, and through town before arriving home. I thank all of you for all the input!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:53 PM   #12
SweetErica

I intend to check out the valve thingy for the fuel tomorrow-- ran out of daylight before i found out about that. Also am going to get my kiddo out there to turn the ignition while I watch for spark on my coil towers, etc. As for holding the gas pedal down as I try to start it, yep-- tried that, as well as pumping the heck out of it. As i said in last post-- seems odd it was fine and good when i parked it, and now won't do squat. But i will eventually rule out all possibilities till I'm left with just one...lol
Old 12-18-2004, 12:44 PM   #13
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Your car will not run with a bad map sensor. So, get a map sensor from junkyard for like $5.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
Old 12-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #14
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

SweetErica, the advice of Dr. Bob and amazinghl is spot on. Follow their recommendations to narrow down the root cause of your problem.

FWIW, you can get a new MAP sensor]Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor from your local Saturn dealer for ~$50-60. It's very easy to replace. Just a couple of bolts hold it on, and it's easy to access.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:01 PM   #15
SweetErica

Happy Re: '96 SL2 sudddenly won't turnover

HOORAY! Tom, you are DA MAN!! It was a simple 10 amp fuse labeled 'IGN'. All my worry and fussing for that-- i feel rather embarassed to even post this. I did also clean my MAP sensor out, and scrubbed quite a bit of corrosion of my coil packs, but i am pretty sure that fuse was the problem. It must have blown while driving, and since it is for ignition, didn't affect the car until I attempted to start it the next day. I owe you all a big thanks, and Tom-- sorry to have doubted you!!!
Old 12-18-2004, 02:16 PM   #16
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Congratulations, Erica. Good call, Tom.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:16 PM   #17
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Congratulations, Erica. Good call, Tom.
Yup, Tom is tech-for-the-day.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:18 PM   #18
my99sl1
my99sl1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

sometimes its the smallest things that go wrong
Old 12-19-2004, 01:07 AM   #19
JPDucketts
JPDucketts is on a distinguished road

K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple, Stupid
Tech school teachers' best advice he ever gave me
Old 12-19-2004, 01:19 AM   #20
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but if that fuse had blown while the car was being driven it most likely would have at least affected operation if not shut the engine down altogether. Depending on WHICH IGN fuse blew, it could be just the PCM memory (reserve) fuse or a host of others. Ignition fuses should NOT just blow for no apparent reason. A better senario (IHMO) is something else caused the no start condition initially, the attempted jump starts blew the fuse (and if it was the PCM memory fuse cleared the PCM memory) and replacing it reset whatever parameter was out of skew and allowed the restart. I'd still be fishing for a used MAP sensor from a junkyard if I were her....or at least give the MAP sensor connector and wiring a good jiggle/looking at for what was most likely the real cause of this problem.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread