SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 04-12-2022, 12:08 AM   #1
Rumphole
Rumphole is on a distinguished road

Default OOPS i shorted something 😳

2003 Ion

hi! okay donít ask me why, but i was disconnecting my trunk light when i shorted something and it dies. no dash lights, int. lights, no pwr windows, but headlights and power outlets DO work.
when key is on only check eng light comes on. car will fire right up then immediately die.
iíve checked all fuses under hood and under dash, only found a burnt radio fuse and swapped it. it seems theres two circuits, and iíve fried one? is there an in line fuse i am not seeing?

thx Rumphole
Rumphole is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2022, 08:37 AM   #2
Rumphole

Default Re: OOPS i shorted something 😳

everything that uses ACC to work (pwr windows, radio etc) is not working, but everything that can turn on without a key (headlights, pwr outlets etc) work fine.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not completely familiar with Ions but may suggest a few things based on Saturns using a separate pcm for engine control management of the EFI system and the body control module running everything else. The exceptions are the abs and airbag systems having their own modules. All modules communicate to the bcm then send info to its OBD II port for reader or scantool.

Based on this info and your symptoms, shorting out trunk lighting is most likely related to the bcm controlling interior and exterior lighting, drives the instrument panel lights and gauges and has GMs Passlock anti theft program. Be sure of checking fuses to the bcm as fuses protect against things we do that sometimes short circuits wiring. Fuses protect against sending large current into modules. If you search within these forums, you should find wiring diagrams in past threads for a better idea of wiring. Although being a member for some years, I haven't come across any thread in these forums of damaging BCMs from inadvertent short circuiting but there's always a first time. Main and secondary fuse panels start with the engine main panel with supplemental panels in right/left foot wells and center console. All accessible after removing covers. Hopefully you find all fuse panels and possibly another blown fuse to correct everyday mistakes.

Pay attention to gauge indicators when turning on ignition. A lamp test turns on all gauge indicators at ignition on time then turn off leaving seat belt, oil, battery and brake indicators before starting. Passlock security may have a yellow car symbol with an oversize padlock or 'security' in either speedometer or odometer. Using your remote to Unlock also disables Passlock. When remote locking, all doors lock and Passlock blinks once every few seconds. During startup, security should not blink or flash. When flashing, Passlock detected a theft attempt and disables the starter circuit - turning to START results in dead silence. The bcm has Passlock programming. With an engine start then dying, the bcm may be creating this situation from either partial bcm power due to a blown fuse.

Another way for this start then die situation may be the pcm unable to run the EFI system since it controls the fuel pump, ignition system for spark and pulses injectors. A fuel pressure test may be needed. Either depressing the fuel test valve after turning on ignition or connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel test valve somewhere on the engine fuel rail. Free loaner tools from AutoZone or other auto store.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:53 PM   #4
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Post Re: OOPS i shorted something 😳

Here is a start

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 95,525 2014>????
CHECK YOUR OIL!! :
)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ion BCM.jpg (85.4 KB, 9 views)
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:42 PM   #5
Rumphole

alrighty UPDATE, not the ignition switch, but got a body control module at a junkyard and have power now. just still not starting, think its the passlock/security shutting it down. my brain is fried fkn with this lol i need this car like now
Old 04-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Post Re: OOPS i shorted something 😳

Found on the internet?

How to Reset Ignition Passlock on a 2003 Saturn Ion 3
by David Clair

The 2003 Saturn Ion 3 is equipped with the Passlock anti-theft system. The system disables the ignition if it detects that starting the car is attempted with an invalid key. When the Passlock system is activated, the security light flashes on the instrument panel. The engine cannot be started until the system resets. If the Passlock system does not automatically reset, it can be reset manually.

Step 1

Turn the ignition key to the "Start" position as if you are starting the engine.
Step 2

Turn the ignition key to the "Run" position after two to three seconds. Leave the key in this position for 10 minutes.

Start the engine as soon as the security light stops flashing and remains on. The Passlock system resets and the engine starts normally.

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 96,525 2014>????
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Rumphole, replacing the bcm requires mating the pcm to bcm. GM describes this as a relearn procedure where a password is exchanged and memorized as part of GMs factory Passlock security program. Dealers use GMs scantool to program in ten minutes. Diyers without GMs scantool have to perform a relearn in three, ten minute sessions. The relearn procedure covers almost all Saturns except models using a chipped (rfid) key with PK.. markings. Plain Saturn keys without markings like Ions don't have chipped keys.

When you see security flashing, not performing a relearn procedure means the 'foreign' bcm isn't matching the pcm password so the pcm detects a theft, disabling either the fuel pump or injectors even though Ions Passlock security is supposed to disable the starter. To perform a relearn procedure, three ten minute ignition on cycles are needed.

Each ten minute session requires turning on ignition then start/crank briefly and release the ignition key back to on position, wait ten minutes until security turns off, cycle ignition off. Repeat two more times. This sets up a relearn process on the fourth try of turning on ignition exchanges a password between bcm and pcm and memorized, mating both in a security process. This should allow starting up. Security should no longer flash to indicate Passlock isn't disabling the engine from running.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:31 PM   #8
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Rumphole, replacing the bcm requires mating the pcm to bcm. GM describes this as a relearn procedure where a password is exchanged and memorized as part of GMs factory Passlock security program. Dealers use GMs scantool to program in ten minutes. Diyers without GMs scantool have to perform a relearn in three, ten minute sessions. The relearn procedure covers almost all Saturns except models using a chipped (rfid) key with PK.. markings. Plain Saturn keys without markings like Ions don't have chipped keys.

When you see security flashing, not performing a relearn procedure means the 'foreign' bcm isn't matching the pcm password so the pcm detects a theft, disabling either the fuel pump or injectors even though Ions Passlock security is supposed to disable the starter. To perform a relearn procedure, three ten minute ignition on cycles are needed.

Each ten minute session requires turning on ignition then start/crank briefly and release the ignition key back to on position, wait ten minutes until security turns off, cycle ignition off. Repeat two more times. This sets up a relearn process on the fourth try of turning on ignition exchanges a password between bcm and pcm and memorized, mating both in a security process. This should allow starting up. Security should no longer flash to indicate Passlock isn't disabling the engine from running.
a couple things to note... you can easily do that procedure yourself without dealer involvement, just as described above. also, the bcm stores the mileage, so replacing it will change the displayed mileage to whatever the donor car had. a proper scan tool can probably program the correct mileage in.
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
janus-2000 sohc2 ~190k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
rip mimas-wrecked 1996 sw1-trailer
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unfortunately, no has ever changed bcm mileage in any of these forums. Despite members claiming so and so electronics can program mileage in used BCMs, none followed up. My guess is a throwback to mileage tampering in geared odometers using cable drive from the xmission. Anti tampering laws against altering odometer mileage continued into the electronics age. Some here have aftermarket scantools like VCX NANO as well as used Tech IIs but no one has tried altering bcm mileage. New blank BCMs are programmed by Saturn, transferring mileage from the faulty bcm to the new one. I think VIN is also programmed. Several members aren't concerned with mileage discrepancy as much as having their Saturn restored for everyday driving. The details are worked out in each state DMVs registration and inspection procedures.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:01 PM   #10
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I think VIN is also programmed. Several members aren't concerned with mileage discrepancy as much as having their Saturn restored for everyday driving. The details are worked out in each state DMVs registration and inspection procedures.
you are correct, the vin is programmed into the bcm as well, although for practical purposes that doesn't really matter. i would definitely prefer having a fully functional car that displays the wrong mileage, over having the correct mileage displayed and having electrical problems. i would try to repair the fault in the original bcm before swapping it, however.

if you can't easily fix the mileage reading with a tech 2, that's not surprising although it is a bit unfortunate. i think you are correct about the odometer tampering thing, it does get a bit silly once you're in the 100k+ range though. at that point so many new parts have likely been installed that the mileage is no longer an accurate indication of the car's condition.

as for the registration process, at least here in colorado there's a box on the title you can check that indicates the odometer reading is inaccurate, and that's all there is to it. they just put it on the new title as "0" and no inspection or further process is required.
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
janus-2000 sohc2 ~190k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
rip mimas-wrecked 1996 sw1-trailer
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:55 PM   #11
Rumphole

i can get the light to go off and stay off for a few more attempts at starting (after relearn) but no change, and then ERROR message and passlock light is back onÖthing is, i only do one 10 min cycle of relearn and light goes off and stays off again. rinse & repeat.
one thing i noticed, can you tell me what this is a picture of iíve attached? it clicks alternately with the starter click when crankingÖlike that is what is killing the start. i maybe crazy, looks like 2 larger red wires going to it also?

thanks again you guys
Rumphole
03 ion 180k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4C324A7D-364A-4BA4-BF0C-DBD7A2CE5842.jpg (62.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-14-2022, 12:30 AM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Please be clear of descriptions.

1-Did you perform three, ten minute ignition on/off cycles with the security light staying off?

2-If the above steps were performed, on the fourth ignition on cycle, is security off?

3-On the fourth ignition cycle, does the starter run and crank the engine?

4-If the security indicator turns on, is it always on, blinking or flashing quickly?

The blurry snapshot seems to show KOYO Steering System labeling. Electric power steering?
Old 04-14-2022, 09:02 AM   #13
Rumphole

yes of course, 3rd relearn light went off, 4th key turn no crank but no light either, another key turn and light comes back on. square one deja vu? same thing just different wording i guess.
yes that in pic goes to elec power steering pump, just a paranoid coincidence i think.

NEVER PULL YOUR TRUNK LIGHT OUT WITH PLIERS lol
Old 04-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #14
Rumphole

one thing i just noticed, the light will stay out after relearn if i turn the key straight to start or on, but if i stop on ACC it ERROR message and light reappears when u attempt to start after that. THEN like i had said earlier, just ONE ten min cycle turns it back off.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:46 AM   #15
Rumphole

im sorry, another update. now security light turns off after every start attempt, also every start attempt, while key is BEING HELD in start position its a constant hard click click click for as long as i hold it. also along with error message, my original mileage (from original bcm) shows too which it hadnt done since i fried it.

ahhh man im sorry i just dont have the $ for the shop
Old 04-14-2022, 11:01 AM   #16
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Hard click click click indicates low voltage. Charge/test battery- when the battery is fully charged and load tests. Try again, the ten minute drills really draw a battery down. Best to do the ten minute drills with jumpers connected to a running car charging at 14 volts. Most small chargers canít keep up.
2002 LW 300 loaded, only 95,000 original miles!
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
2000 LS1, TMU love those bcm failures.
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #17
Rumphole

yeah i make sure it has plenty o’ juice at all times thru all this shiz. again the repetitive clicks happen while constantly holding key in start position. half a second between clicks and will do it all day if ya want. i am seeing a similar problem in a forum where he is told it’s the ECM, but he doesn’t respond. i really am hoping it’s not, i cant get one of those as cheap as the bcm.
Old 04-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #18
Rumphole

welp, scratch that. i just went to junkyard and got the ecm/pcm from the same car i got bcm (although i think its been reprogrammed anyway lol) and also bought another bcm and ecm/pcm from another ion i found there. $140 for all 3, not shabby, i can sell what i dont use i guess. let ya know how my new toys work… (crosses fingers & toes)
Old 04-14-2022, 05:49 PM   #19
Rumphole

i installed the ecm & bcm that i just got from the same ion and it’s doing the exact same thing. the constant click while holding, no more error message or flashing security light. it does come on for few seconds when very first turning key (along with check eng) but i think this is normal.
i dunno guys… anyone need a extra ecm or bcm? lol
Old 04-14-2022, 05:57 PM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Rumphole, there seems to be several problems occurring randomly without rhyme or reason. (1)Playing with pcm and bcm replacement and performing a relearn procedure can present unforeseen issues if not aware of them. (2)Unfamiliarity with Passlock security modes from one indicator can mislead anyone. Passlock indicator modes; off, blinking slowly, flashing quickly and on all the time. (3)Power drives everything and a battery, battery cabling and their connections must be clean and free of corrosion to supply electrical power to everything a vehicle needs. Ions with a trunk mounted battery means a long red positive cable from trunk to engine fuse panel, ending at the Remote Start terminal next to the engine fuse box. Be sure this terminal connection nut is tight. Battery ground goes from battery to chassis with another chassis cable in the engine bay connecting to the engine block.