SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 05-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Bdad
Bdad is on a distinguished road

Default Turn signals don't turn off - 2000 LS2

I replaced the switch thinking that since the turn signals don't turn off turning left or right that would fix the issue. Looked in the Chilton manual but can't find anything on the topic other than replacing the switch.

I assume it's not a fuse or relay so what does that leave?

Appreciate help.
Bdad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Turn signals don't turn off - 2000 LS2

I'm not clear as to what you're referring to. Are you referring to the turn signal lever not returning to center (off position, turn signal canceled) after completing a turn or is it something else?
378K miles - engine replaced (375K).
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
Bdad

I turn the turn signal on with the lever, complete the turn and as the steering wheel returns to center the signal stays on. When it was working it would turn off (a click could be heard) as the steering wheel rotated back to the position used when driving straight.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
born again
born again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to all

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I have experienced this problem. The turn signals are cancelled by a lug on the steering shaft that is part of the clock spring assembly. The problem starts when the turn signal switch mechanism gets worn, balky and stiff. Then the plastic lug breaks off. All of a sudden your signals don't self-cancel. The first part of the fix is easy and cheap and you have done it already - replace the TS switch. The second part is harder and more expensive. You need to change the clock spring (officially "SIR coil") which requires removing the DS airbag and steering wheel. The part is no longer available new. Go to car-part.com. Or you can just cancel them yourself. I have tried gluing the lug back on. This only works for a short time, and you need to take it out anyway.
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
Bdad

Many thanks. It doesn't appear to be worth the time, effort or cost. We'll live with the need to self-cancel.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
64waves
64waves has a spectacular aura about64waves has a spectacular aura about64waves has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Wow, I live in Jersey but work in PA. Most inspection stations in PA will not give you a new sticker unless the turn signals turn off by themselves. Usually a big expense to fix also. Pretty crazy, glad I don't live in PA.
64waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
born again
born again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to all

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I checked our HTA in Ontario and you don't even need to have turn signals at all if the vehicle is less than 2.05 m x 6.10 m, or most cars, SUV's and light trucks. You are still required to signal though, and if your signals aren't working you must hand signal. Self-cancelling isn't an issue. Note that the TS on most large trucks don't self cancel.
born again is offline   Reply With Quote