SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
stoickiwi
Member
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road
 
stoickiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 123

2008 Astra XR
Default Impending Journey's End

Well fellow Astra lovers, my time here may be coming to an end shortly.
The transmission in my Astra is starting to give me considerable issues and in addition to several other issues that I'm having, the misses and I fear it may be time to sell of the Astra.
It isn't a done deal yet as I want to take it to a friend's garage for an estimate. It's going to need a new transmission, A/C Compressor, door sill on one side, and possibly a radiator I think.
I think my bad luck with the Astra isn't really bad luck. I don't think the previous owner understood how to take care of a car properly and it is starting to show as the Astra ages.
I'll let everyone know what happens and I should be posting another thread shortly for parts that I'll be selling shortly.
Thanks to everyone here who have made this forum feel like a home!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 863

2007 VUE Green Line
Default Re: Impending Journey's End

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoickiwi View Post
Well fellow Astra lovers, my time here may be coming to an end shortly.
The transmission in my Astra is starting to give me considerable issues and in addition to several other issues that I'm having, the misses and I fear it may be time to sell of the Astra.
It isn't a done deal yet as I want to take it to a friend's garage for an estimate. It's going to need a new transmission, A/C Compressor, door sill on one side, and possibly a radiator I think.
I think my bad luck with the Astra isn't really bad luck. I don't think the previous owner understood how to take care of a car properly and it is starting to show as the Astra ages.
I'll let everyone know what happens and I should be posting another thread shortly for parts that I'll be selling shortly.
Thanks to everyone here who have made this forum feel like a home!
Sounds like a good time to purchase another Astra and keep this one for spare parts
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Saturn4Ever
Member
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough
 
Saturn4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 224

2009 Astra XR
Default Re: Impending Journey's End

What happened to the door sill and the rad?
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
stoickiwi
Member
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road
 
stoickiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 123

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Impending Journey's End

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy View Post
Sounds like a good time to purchase another Astra and keep this one for spare parts
I considered it and may still do that, estimates pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
What happened to the door sill and the rad?
The door sill has always leaked a little bit. Not sure if the previous owner did something to it or what, but it is getting worse. The radiator I'm thinking was me when I hit a chunk of ice. It started losing more fluid after that!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
stoickiwi
Member
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road
 
stoickiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 123

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Impending Journey's End

Well it happened last Thursday at CarMax.
I sold the Astra
I will say it was probably the most attached I've ever been to a car before and it wasn't easy letting it go.
Thankfully I had it paid off because they definitely did not give me a very reasonable offer. But with all mechanical issues considered, it was probably fair.
After careful thought, consideration, and test driving, I finally settled on the MazdaSpeed3:



It was in great shape with only 34k on the clock and really really makes me wish GM would have brought the VXR/OPC Astra over here...
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough
 
phatfire6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 806

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Impending Journey's End

I am pretty sure I haven't seen one of those cars with a hood like that... Details?
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
stoickiwi
Member
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road
 
stoickiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 123

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Impending Journey's End

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
I am pretty sure I haven't seen one of those cars with a hood like that... Details?
From what I've seen (and how hard it was to find one) they are pretty rare.
It is a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 which has a 2.3L DISI Turbo. The massive hood scoop is factory and functional: the turbo intercooler is top mounted on the engine. It has 260HP and 280ft-lbs and is an FF drivetrain.
Needless to say, my friend with a Camaro SS drove it and nearly put it in the grass thanks to a generous amount of torque steer
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My journey. Car back from shop DB42 S-Series General 5 01-31-2012 09:56 AM
Uh oh, possible impending engine meltdown!? camzshaft S-Series General 29 07-09-2010 09:48 PM
I thought the NACOTY trophy journey was over... liquidslap Aura General 11 09-07-2007 09:14 AM
Interesting journey with my SC2 dsdSC97 S-Series General 4 06-18-2003 09:25 PM
Oil Consumption: Impending doom, or stable? manualman S-Series Tech 11 05-07-2002 10:30 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.