SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
chops
chops is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Speedometer/Cruise Control Issue, 2007 Vue 5spd

Recently I've encountered trouble keeping the cruise control engaged. When the cruise control is on and I'm going uphill, the cruise control will cancel itself suddenly. This is accompanied by the speedometer needle jumping upward by about 3-4 mph before settling down, and is likely what prompts the cruise control to cancel.

The speedo will jump without the cruise control on as well, but this only happens when I'm climbing uphill. Gear selection appears to have no bearing on this issue. I could be climbing a hill at 25 mph in 3rd or at 65 mph in 5th and the needle will still jump.

At first I thought the VSS was to blame, so I just replaced that this morning to no avail. Even with a new VSS, the cruise control will not hold and the speedometer needle will jump going uphill. The car does seem a bit more anemic than usual while climbing hills as well.

Now that I've eliminated the VSS, what could be the cause? Could it be the instrument cluster going bad, or worse?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by chops; 08-17-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: slight typo
chops is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Speedometer/Cruise Control Issue, 2007 Vue 5spd

What if your 07 Vue with MT didn't use VSS for speed reference?

If we believe service manual extract one or more of ABS wheel sensors provide vehicle velocity information. (Wouldn't be accurate for you if you don't have ABS).

SPEEDOMETER

The instrument panel cluster (IPC) displays the vehicle speed based on the information from the body control module (BCM). The engine control module (ECM) calculates the vehicle speed based on the controlled area network (CAN) serial data message indicating the wheel reference speed from the electronic brake control module (EBCM). The ECM sends a CAN serial data message to the BCM indicating the vehicle speed. The BCM sends a class 2 message to the IPC indicating the vehicle speed.

The speedometer defaults to 0 km/h (0 mph) when any of the following occur:

The EBCM detects a malfunction in the vehicle speed sensor circuit.

The ECM detects a loss of CAN communications with the EBCM.

The BCM detects a loss of CAN communications with the ECM.

The IPC detects a loss of class 2 communications with the BCM.

I've not found data indicating if one or all sensors are used to compute speed.

I think I've read the left front wheel speed sensor is used but I can't recall for sure.

One question is why the glitch only when climbing a hill?

I suppose a key question is - have you experienced any problems with ABS or TCS systems?
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
chops

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
What if your 07 Vue with MT didn't use VSS for speed reference?

If we believe service manual extract one or more of ABS wheel sensors provide vehicle velocity information. (Wouldn't be accurate for you if you don't have ABS).
This might explain why replacing the VSS might not have worked. I should've mentioned that my Vue doesn't have ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
One question is why the glitch only when climbing a hill?
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that there's extra effort required to maintain speed or accelerate. I wonder if this might manifest itself in a situation where I'm in a higher gear than I should be (e.g., accelerating from 25-30 mph in 5th).

Possibly related but not necessarily so: this morning, I went to back out from a parking space and stalled. Upon restarting, the engine nearly stalled out again on its own with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, but it was able to recover without further incident.

Another odd gremlin that popped up a couple of times while I've been dealing with this issue: upon unlocking the doors with the key fob, the driver's side headlight is out, but once started both headlights come on as they should.

Hopefully this doesn't muddy the waters too much. I have no idea if these issues are interconnected or not.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Lack of ABS seems to indicate VSS is only source for speedometer. I've not found information for newer Vue speed measurement but am still looking.

The headlight deal is sort of weird (like the speedo). Security unlock causes BCM to send ground to both low-beams (they always have 12v on high-side). But engaging DRL also causes BCM to send ground to latch DRL relay to insert a resistor in ground path of same bulbs. And turning headlight switch on uses same basic ground path for same bulbs. (See thumbnail).

I think I'd change the bulb just for the heck of it - or you could swap left and right bulbs if you prefer to not buy a new one.

How long since last tune-up? And do you use a good grade of fuel? It appears the engine is slightly unhappy about something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07 Vue - Headlights.jpg (117.8 KB, 7 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
chops

2007 VUE 2.2L

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. I think I've isolated the main issue to the speedometer itself. Just this afternoon I noticed the speedo needle responding jerkily when I accelerated from a stop on level ground. The odometer continues to work properly so I'm assuming we don't have an issue with the BCM.

The other issues I've mentioned have not reoccurred. I have a bit of a rough idle with the A/C on but no other symptoms of anything else. (I did my spark plug swap at around 100k myself, so I may want to re-check the torque on those at some point.) I've been digging through the board and found that swapping the instrument cluster won't be a difficult job.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
chops

2007 VUE 2.2L

For anyone who might stumble upon this thread later, I believe that with the help of my local shop, I've finally gotten to the bottom of this issue.

To recap: the best way I could describe the speedometer is "hiccuping." It would struggle going uphill but then something would seem to catch, the speedometer would jump up, and if the cruise control was active, it would immediately cancel.

The engine would start idling roughly and I would, on rare occasions, stall randomly, usually in the midst of a downshift while decelerating.

This past Monday, however, things escalated. The car would abruptly stall, lose power, but not sputter. It was as if the engine was cut off immediately as I was driving. The battery light would light up before the oil pressure light would. Now, if I had stalled it by botching a start, for example, both lights would come on at the same time.

My local shop determined that the issue was the ignition control module on top of the engine. The issues I'd been experiencing must have been warning signs that it was on its way out. Surprisingly, it took over a year from the first sign of trouble to the module finally dying out.