SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
96blackgoldsl2
96blackgoldsl2 is on a distinguished road

Default 96 sl2 bad misfire.

I just rebuilt my engine, it ran great for 3 days, then on my way home that last day I was shifting from 3rd to 4th and when releasing the clutch there was a noticeable problem.
-The car is idling very rough. Rpms ranging from 700-1300 just fluctuating, and the exhaust smells very rich. Cylinder 1 is definitely not firing. Number 2 I question, but can't say for sure.
-Since it staerted acting up, I've replaced the intake manifold gasket, egr valve, vacuum lines, cam sensor, ects, map sensor,plugs, wires, coils, purge canistor, injector on cylinder 1,fuel pressure regulator, and maybe that's all. And the head gasket as a last resort.
-Compression on the engine is: 210 210 207 206. Intake vacuum is steady at 10 in hg. It should be higher. Also after shutting the engine off, there is a vapor the comes out of the throttle body. I've checked spark on each wire with a resitor test. All cylinders have good spark. When replacing the headgasket the second time, timing was good. Nothing seems to change the way it runs. I have a video of an obd2 reader running the pids, and of the exhaust to hear the engine and see the thick exhaust coming out.
Any ideas? I can post the videos to youtube, or pm them if it will help you out. I'm just burned out on ideas.

Last edited by 96blackgoldsl2; 04-17-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: poor punctuation after posting.
96blackgoldsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
96blackgoldsl2

Default Re: 96 sl2 bad misfire.

I did do a search, and the only thing I fou.d was for an sl1, and his/her problem wasn't said to be resolved. I have checked all my ground wires, and my problem does not clear up at higher Rpms or when warm, the only thing I can do to get any change at all is unplugging the spark plugs on any cylinder other than number 1. Short term fuel trim was way off (-50) and it does not fluctuate.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Its not the rebuild since you did spend time and money to get it back into running condition. And compression says you did it right. It may be the EFI system parts and maybe one item not on the engine - the old catalytic converter.

2-Cleaning an egr valve that may be causing this issue doesn't eliminate it altogether but making a temporary blocking gasket will. Coins, sheet metal or soda can with the egr valve holding the gasket(s) down. A sudden power increase would mean a faulty egr valve. Clean it better or replace it.

3-A catcon that crumbled and rattle may block off exhaust flow. Bang the bottom to check on loose cat guts and/or remove the O2 sensor for a LOUD drive around the block. If the alternate exhaust hole now gives renewed engine power then the catcon is plugged.

4-Did you check the coolant sensor connector for coolant corrosion? A fouled connector is the same as a faulty coolant sensor.

5-Where does the temperature needle sit?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
96blackgoldsl2

Coolant sensor plug is not corroded, I replaced the egr, not just cleaned. The temperature needle sits about 3/8. I've taken the pipe loose at the exhaust manifold to see if the catco is clogged, no change in running. Cylinder one is either getting too much fuel to burn or too little air. The head was redone as well, and I checked all the valves when I re did the head gasket. I literally just smoke tested the intake to check for leaks, it only came out where the shaft for the throttle body is. No leaking gaskets.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With fluctuating idle between 700-1300rpm and vacuum lower than normal, 10 in Hg, suggests a vacuum leak somewhere.
VCX NANO
Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Vacuum can also decrease with poor running due to an excessively rich condition. Vacuum leak is far more likely, but also check injectors for leaking. Check for vacuum leaks at the manifold with throttle body spray. Remove the fuel rail and note any leaky injectors when the key is turned on, but the engine is not started.
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
96blackgoldsl2

I've sprayed 2 cans worth looking for a leak. Never found anywhere it was leaking. Also leakdown test on fuel rail makes me think the injectors are fine. It barely leaks pressure in hours time. The weird thing is how easy the car starts even with the problems.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A fuel leak would show up on a pressure gauge a few seconds after turning on the ignition switch.. With a possible vacuum leak, would there be a leak by the brake vacuum line? Most idle vacuum would be between 15-18 in. Hg.
VCX NANO