SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 07-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Luma46
Luma46 is on a distinguished road

Default AT5 transmission oil cooler

I am little bit confused here. Does the 3.5l Vue have an AT oil cooler? I understand it is an option or part of a towing package with the Honda Pilot. I am towing a 2200# trailer (probably at least 2500# loaded) with my Vue and I am wondering if I should be looking at some additional AT oil cooler.As well, any recommendation on using the D or I gear when towing?
Thanks,
Lumir
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: AT5 transmission oil cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luma46 View Post
I am little bit confused here. Does the 3.5l Vue have an AT oil cooler? I understand it is an option or part of a towing package with the Honda Pilot. I am towing a 2200# trailer (probably at least 2500# loaded) with my Vue and I am wondering if I should be looking at some additional AT oil cooler.As well, any recommendation on using the D or I gear when towing?
Thanks,
Lumir
There's towing information in the owner's manual ... I've attached extract as pdf if you don't have.

Also, extensive trailer towing changes all service requirements for the 3.5 engine Vue ... including reducing timing belt change from 100,000 miles to 50,000.

The severe service data is also in owner's manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05 Vue Trailer Towing.pdf (69.4 KB, 31 views)
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

There is a small AT oil cooler in the rad. It is very small though. If you plan on doing towing with it (especially in the summer), I would add a little 8x10x3/4 thk oil cooler after the small stock one in the rad. It can't hurt (ie: added safety for $75). I added a B&M one to mine and after driving you can hold your hand on the outlet side of the cooler without getting burned (just don't let it idle for a long time because without air flow there is no cooling and it will get hotter). They really do work well when moving.
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I have an AT cooler on my Mazda Protege. I don't tow with it at all. In my opinion, all automatics can benefit from additional cooling. Heat is one of the main causes of automatic transmission failures.

I've completely bypassed my factory AT cooler (in the bottom of the radiator) and run all the fluid through an auxilary cooler mounted in front of the AC condenser. If you live someplace that sees really cold temps in the winter, then keeping the factory AT cooler inline will help to warm the fluid- while heat is a killer of transmissions, the fluid does need to be a little warm to work well.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Luma46
Luma46 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbievueowner View Post
There is a small AT oil cooler in the rad. It is very small though. If you plan on doing towing with it (especially in the summer), I would add a little 8x10x3/4 thk oil cooler after the small stock one in the rad. It can't hurt (ie: added safety for $75). I added a B&M one to mine and after driving you can hold your hand on the outlet side of the cooler without getting burned (just don't let it idle for a long time because without air flow there is no cooling and it will get hotter). They really do work well when moving.
newbievueowner, couple questions on this AT oil cooler:
*what brand of a cooler and where did you buy it
*how did you connect it - did you split somewhere the return line, did you need any special fittings?
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luma46 View Post
newbievueowner, couple questions on this AT oil cooler:
*what brand of a cooler and where did you buy it
*how did you connect it - did you split somewhere the return line, did you need any special fittings?
Luma, I think this was the kit I used: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BM...4/?image=large

The reason I say 'I think' is because they have this tranny cooler kit listed as a 11"x7"x1.5" kit with 3/8" inlet and outlet ports. I think they made a mistake in the online posting for 3 reasons:
1) the 3/8" ports coolers are 3/4" thick while the 1.5" thick coolers have a 1/2" NPT fitting (I have both coolers). The 1 1/2" thick cooler would be way over kill for this application!
2) the 1 1/2" thick cooler costs more than this one
3) B&M doesn't make 'kits' with the 1 1/2" thick cooler. They are stand alone units.

To answer your other questions: I used a mini tube cutter, spliced into the supply and return lines and added an external tranny filter for $15 while I was at it (didn't want the chance of getting any contaminants in the tranny after the update). I just flared the ends slightly on the cut portions of the tube so there was no possibly of the hose/clamp slipping off and cleaned up the flares with some sand paper to remove any burrs/sharp edges. When you flare the supply & return times from the tranny, you want to put a little piece of a small rag to keep debris out. Just don't push it in TOO far or it will be more difficult to get out.

Everything came in the kit. I didn't really have to buy anything extra (with maybe the exception of 6 small hose clamps - I can't remember).

I will take a pic showing the mounting but won't be able to do that until Sunday (I have no camera at this time). It is an easy install though once you know how/where to mount it and route the lines. Probably 2-3 hrs max.
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote