SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 01-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
twhitney
twhitney will become famous soon enough

1994 SC2
Default Cylinder Head Gasket Replacement...

So tonight when I was checking some other things with my car... particularly the spark plugs because i do every so often to make sure they are burning well... and I noticed that the oil in my two middle cylinders was pretty bad... its been like that for some time now... and i've been planning on changing the Cylinder Head Gasket...

First off... the oil soaks the threads of the spark plugs, but does not get into the firing chamber or anywhere else, so its not causing any problems... but I want to take care of it before the leak gets any worse.

Only problem is i don't have a torque wrench... Ive been meaning to pick one up at Sears at somepoint soon... I'm guessing the torque on the head cover is pretty important isn't that right? The Haynes manual tells me what order to tighten them and what torque they should be... so I'm guessing I'm at bay until then.

Anybody else have problems with this or ever replace their cylinder cover gasket? Any stories or something useful that you might be able to share for when I do it?

1994 SC2 DOHC
2006 Mazda3 sGT
twhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replacement...

You're talking about a cam cover or valve cover gasket, not a cylinder head gasket. The head gasket goes between the head and the block, the cam cover goes between the head and the ...well....the cam cover. Search the forum for replacing the cam cover gasket, it's been covered 958243857823475092 times already. You need the preformed gasket, if you go to a parts store and they hand you a tube of RTV, hand it back, and walk out.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The torque spec in some of the Hyanes manuals is WRONG. The correct value is 89in-lb. You need a torque wrench calibrated in inch-pounds, in-lb and have the 80s in the middle of its range.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
twhitney

1994 SC2

I'll just search the forum then... I figured its probably been covered... I should've searched before making the thread.

Just to clarify... I was told that the bolts holding the cam cover on need to be replaced when doing this... is this right?

... and also found it in a search of the forum
Quote:
Note - these are torque-to-yield bolts and must be replaced with new ones if loosened/removed.

Quote:
you're talking about a cam cover or valve cover gasket, not a cylinder head gasket. The head gasket goes between the head and the block, the cam cover goes between the head and the ...well....the cam cover. Search the forum for replacing the cam cover gasket, it's been covered 958243857823475092 times already. You need the preformed gasket, if you go to a parts store and they hand you a tube of RTV, hand it back, and walk out.
Thanks for clarifying Squareback... I never know what the name of it is.. I get confused as I'm not the best mechanic in the world in terms of what I know... I can do whatever job when told/shown what to do and given the proper tools... but my knowledge is slim with the innerworkings and names of some things.

As for the gasket itself... I found the preformed gasket on RockAuto.com ... that i know is what I need, I'm not a fan of the AdvancedAuto in my town, they give out wrong info all the time... AutoZone is pretty good, but they're not the best.

I'll probably end up doing this at my dad's garage where he has the proper torque wrench and other necessary tools / space.

1994 SC2 DOHC
2006 Mazda3 sGT

Last edited by twhitney; 01-11-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
twhitney

1994 SC2

Also... just to confirm I do know what I am talking about and I'm not a total idiot...

getimage.php.jpeg

Is this what i'm looking for? I have an aluminum cam cover on my DOHC.

1994 SC2 DOHC
2006 Mazda3 sGT
Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That looks like the part.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Cheyne
Cheyne has a spectacular aura aboutCheyne has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

You can reuse the bolts or I should say that I have.
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhitney View Post
Just to clarify... I was told that the bolts holding the cam cover on need to be replaced when doing this... is this right?
No, that is not right. The cylinder head bolts are torque to yield and must be replaced, the cam cover bolts are not, and are infinitely reuseable. No need to replace anything but the gasket, and don't forget a dab at each corner where the timing cover meets the head.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

When you tighten the bolts it'll feel like it's way too loose. Trust your torque wrench - these bolts are very easy to break off. Also do a search on the topic for the tightening sequence. There is a trick in getting a tight seal and it has to do with the order you tighten the bolts.
7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
twhitney

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
No, that is not right. The cylinder head bolts are torque to yield and must be replaced, the cam cover bolts are not, and are infinitely reuseable. No need to replace anything but the gasket, and don't forget a dab at each corner where the timing cover meets the head.
Okie dokie, thanks for the help yet again. I didn't see why the cam cover bolts would be torque to yield... but I have no idea... and it seems like many people confuse cam cover gaskets and head gaskets when talking to me about the stuff which just confuses me further (with wrong names etc.)

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
When you tighten the bolts it'll feel like it's way too loose. Trust your torque wrench - these bolts are very easy to break off. Also do a search on the topic for the tightening sequence. There is a trick in getting a tight seal and it has to do with the order you tighten the bolts.
Thank you Growser... my Haynes manual shows the proper order to tighten... I know what you mean by things feeling too loose... I've been there, but i know better because a few more turns and they could go SNAP. hehe

Quote:
The torque spec in some of the Hyanes manuals is WRONG. The correct value is 89in-lb. You need a torque wrench calibrated in inch-pounds, in-lb and have the 80s in the middle of its range.
Thanks for the heads up OldNuc, I very likely would've just followed the specifications in the manual.

1994 SC2 DOHC
2006 Mazda3 sGT
Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

You're lucky you found the gasket at Rock Auto. My 97SL doesn't have one listed----only RTV.

Jerry
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote