SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
slue
slue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default What kind of speakers will fit in my 2005 Vue?

Hello,

I just installed a new JVC dvd deck, and would like to upgrade my factory speakers. Can someone tell me what size speakers I need for my 2005 Vue?

According to futureshop's website I need 6.5" speakers... but according to crutchfield, I need 6".

My Vue has 4 speakers in the car doors and 2 small tweeters near the side mirrors (component). I was thinking of getting a new set of component speakers, but they are quite expensive. I found a pretty good deal on 2-way 6.5" speakers (tweeter + woofer), and I'm thinking about getting them. JBL 135 Watt (GT5-652) on sale for $40 a pair.

Will the factory tweeters still work if I replace the door speakers with 2-Way aftermarket speakers? If not, will I have to somehow disconnect the factory tweeters?

Does anyone know how powerful the factory tweeters are (wattage / ohms)?

I already have 4 wiring harnesses for the new speakers. Will I need to buy the round Door Speaker Adapters as well to make them fit?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers!
slue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
slue

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Installing new speakers in a 2005 Vue. please help!

Hi there,

I updated my post to clarify what I'm asking. Thanks in advance for any help with any of these questions.

I would like to install 4 new speakers in my 2005 Saturn Vue:

1. Does anyone know how to remove the door panel so I can access the speakers to replace them?

2. My Vue has 4 speakers in the car doors and 2 small tweeters near the side mirrors (component speakers). I have 4, 2-Way 6.5" speakers that I would like to install - JBL GT5-652 / 135 Watt.
Will the factory tweeters still work if I replace the door speakers with 2-Way aftermarket speakers (tweeter + woofer)? If not... will I have to disconnect the factory tweeters?

3. Will I need to buy the round plastic door Speaker Adapters to make the new speakers fit?
I found some on eBay called Best Kits BKSAGMEQ656, but I'm not sure if I need them. I already have 4 wiring harnesses for the new speakers - Metra 72-4568.

Have a great day!!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: What kind of speakers will fit in my 2005 Vue?

THe crutchfield website will tell you what speakers will and will not fit. And if adapters are needed, they will include them when you purchase the speakers
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

A true 6.5" (read: oversized 6.5) like the Kicker DS650 would work. A 6" speaker will be slightly too small and require a mounting adapter.

Aftermarket components will work, but you will have to mount the crossover and they won't sound as good due to lacking the necessary power to drive them. Aftermarket radios tend to put out 6-7 watts RMS cleanly, with a JVC being closer to the 6-5 watts range. Most factory radios can do 4-6 RMS cleanly. By contrast, aftermarket 4 channel amplifiers tend to do 50 RMS or more cleanly in a decent amp.

Point is, a set of component speakers will be designed for WAY more power than you're able to provide. Save yourself the trouble and buy coaxial speakers that are designed for less power and they will sound better. Higher end speakers only sound better when you put in higher end power to give them.

For example, at work people routinely won't listen to us and will purchase expensive speakers (sometime components) because they/their boy thinks they know better. Those cars leave sounding like crap, and they typically come back with blown speakers, hurting wallets, and are more willing to listen to us the second time around. By contrast, in my girlfriend's old car I had a basic set of Kenwood coaxs running off her deck, and a cheap sub/amp - that car sounded GOOD. It was very well balanced, and was only running 2 speakers and a cheap sub, the whole system was worth under $400 retail but sounded better than guys who have put well over a grand into their setups. It wasn't the loudest system on the block, but it wasn't lacking in volume either.

So yeah, go get the good deal on the coaxs, they're better suited for a more mundane non-amplified system.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
slue

2005 VUE 2.2L

XRL.. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the advice!
I went ahead and bought 2 pairs of the JBL speakers. My JVC deck is 20W RMS / 50W PEAK, and the speakers are 45W RMS / 135W PEAK.
I have no plans to add a power amp or subwoofer. I don't need my system to be super-loud, as long as it sounds good, I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
A true 6.5" (read: oversized 6.5) like the Kicker DS650 would work. A 6" speaker will be slightly too small and require a mounting adapter.
I was unable to find the post regarding oversized 6.5. The speakers I have are 6 5/8" from edge to edge, and 5 5/8" on the inside. According to the package they are 165mm (6.5").
Does this mean I can go ahead and install these without any speaker adaptors / brackets?

Quote:
So yeah, go get the good deal on the coaxs, they're better suited for a more mundane non-amplified system.
Great! So when I do hook up the new JBL speakers in the doors, will the factory tweeters still work as well? Or will they not work at all?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by slue View Post
XRL.. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the advice!
I went ahead and bought 2 pairs of the JBL speakers. My JVC deck is 20W RMS / 50W PEAK, and the speakers are 45W RMS / 135W PEAK.
I have no plans to add a power amp or subwoofer. I don't need my system to be super-loud, as long as it sounds good, I'm happy.

I was unable to find the post regarding oversized 6.5. The speakers I have are 6 5/8" from edge to edge, and 5 5/8" on the inside. According to the package they are 165mm (6.5").
Does this mean I can go ahead and install these without any speaker adaptors / brackets?

Great! So when I do hook up the new JBL speakers in the doors, will the factory tweeters still work as well? Or will they not work at all?
The opening is for a 6 3/4" speaker. Those will probably be the right size. Most Harman products (Infinity, JBL) come with adapters just in case though.

The tweeters should work, but personally I'd disconnect them. You'll have tweeters from the new speakers already, and it might be too much tweet with 2 sets. But adjust to taste, my old roommate had coaxs and 2 sets of tweeters in the front doors of his Integra, all super bright Infinity stuff and he liked it (I thought it sounded like pure and simple garbage).
Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
slue

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
The opening is for a 6 3/4" speaker. Those will probably be the right size. Most Harman products (Infinity, JBL) come with adapters just in case though.

The tweeters should work, but personally I'd disconnect them. You'll have tweeters from the new speakers already, and it might be too much tweet with 2 sets. But adjust to taste, my old roommate had coaxs and 2 sets of tweeters in the front doors of his Integra, all super bright Infinity stuff and he liked it (I thought it sounded like pure and simple garbage).
ok, that makes sense...

The JBLs didn't come with any adapters. I'll try to install them as they are. If they don't fit, I'll order some adapters online.

And that's good advice.. I'll hook it all up and adjust to taste. If there's too much high end with the factory tweeters, I'll simply leave them disconnected.

now if I can only figure out how to get the doors apart

Thanks again for all your help! Cheers!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
ok, that makes sense...

The JBLs didn't come with any adapters. I'll try to install them as they are. If they don't fit, I'll order some adapters online.

And that's good advice.. I'll hook it all up and adjust to taste. If there's too much high end with the factory tweeters, I'll simply leave them disconnected.

now if I can only figure out how to get the doors apart

Thanks again for all your help! Cheers!
Taking the doors off is easy. Remove the sail panels with the tweeters, theres a screw under it. There's a screw at the bottom of the doors as well. Then under the little cover (you will likely lose this cover) in the door handle there's a screw. The door "pull" has a little tab at the bottom of it, push the tab in and you can remove the front half of the door pull, there's 2 screws under that. Then lift up on the panel and it should come off easily.

If you need to, you can make an adapter from 1/2" MDF or plywood. Just take a jigsaw to cut the hole and to cut it to the right shape. Don't forget to give it a VERY healthy coating of rubberized undercoating to keep water from getting into it and ruining it.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
slue

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Taking the doors off is easy. Remove the sail panels with the tweeters, theres a screw under it. There's a screw at the bottom of the doors as well. Then under the little cover (you will likely lose this cover) in the door handle there's a screw. The door "pull" has a little tab at the bottom of it, push the tab in and you can remove the front half of the door pull, there's 2 screws under that. Then lift up on the panel and it should come off easily.

If you need to, you can make an adapter from 1/2" MDF or plywood. Just take a jigsaw to cut the hole and to cut it to the right shape. Don't forget to give it a VERY healthy coating of rubberized undercoating to keep water from getting into it and ruining it.
ok, so it looks like I really messed things up now, but I have no idea how...

I took off the doors and removed the factory speakers. The hole's are a little bigger than the new 6.5" speakers, so I will need to get spacers. I found some at crutchfield and should have them by Tuesday (Product Code: 142SGMQ656).

In the mean time I went ahead and put the doors back on. They went on fine, but the problem is that now I can't get the domelights to turn off. When I push the button to lock the car I hear 3 beeps and nothing happens. When I push the lock button a second time the car locks, but the dome lights don't turn off until about 30 minutes later. It's almost as if the car thinks one of the doors is still open. I checked the door switches, they all pop in and out as they should. All 4 doors open and close from the inside and outside no problem. The power locks also work. The dome lights are still both set to 'Auto'.

Does anyone have any idea of what happened or how I can fix this? I called my GM dealer but they said they will need up to $240 just to diagnose the problem. Perhaps I should post this on a separate thread, since it is not really related to my original question.

Thanks and have a good one!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The dome light switch is the rod of plastic that sticks out from the dash and contacts the door panel on that odd shaped plastic insert on the hinge side of the door panel. You may have damaged the plunger on the switch while working on the door...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
slue

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
The dome light switch is the rod of plastic that sticks out from the dash and contacts the door panel on that odd shaped plastic insert on the hinge side of the door panel. You may have damaged the plunger on the switch while working on the door...
Sorry.. when I said I checked the door switches, I meant dome light switches. I don't know what most of these part are called.

I checked the 2 in the front and the 2 differently shaped ones for the back doors. They all seem to pop in and out no problem. Maybe some WD40 would help loosen up the inner workings?

If I can at least narrow it down to which door is causing the problem, it won't cost me as much to get it diagnosed at the service center.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
vuethunder1985
vuethunder1985 is on a distinguished road

What I did was found two different sets at Napa where I work! Then i cut the old speakers out of the mounting shell, and epoxied the new ones in! 6.5 is the size i believe.
vuethunder1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Sorry.. when I said I checked the door switches, I meant dome light switches. I don't know what most of these part are called.

I checked the 2 in the front and the 2 differently shaped ones for the back doors. They all seem to pop in and out no problem. Maybe some WD40 would help loosen up the inner workings?

If I can at least narrow it down to which door is causing the problem, it won't cost me as much to get it diagnosed at the service center.
Don't use WD-40. Use silicone spray. WD40 contains petroleum distillates which are bad for plastic.

Those door jamb switches seem to develop dead spots over time.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 08-12-2010 at 10:59 PM.
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #14
slue

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Don't use WD-40. Use silicone spray. WD40 contains petroleum distillates which are bad for plastic.

Those door jamb switches seem to develop dead spots over time.
Thanks!!
I'll get some silicone spray tomorrow and spray it in around the dome light switches.
Really hope it works.. this dome light problem is killing my battery and driving me crazy.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

You can also unplug them. The side panels pop off and then the plug can be removed from the plunger.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
slue

2005 VUE 2.2L

Hi all,

Just posting as a FYI in case anyone runs in to the same issues I did. My new JBL speakers are now installed and sounding great!!

I left the factory tweeters connected and they still work no problem. I was worried about there being too-much high end, but with the 'Bass Boost' feature on my amp turned on everything sounds great together.

I highly recommend that anyone installing 6.5" speakers in a Vue like this get Scosche mounting brackets (Part# SAGMEQ656). They have a built-in spacer to ensure the window does not hit the back of the speaker when it's rolled down. Crutchfield sells them for $17 a pair (Product Code: 142SGMQ656). You will need to cut out the tabs from the middle (unless you want to use 5.25" speakers).. i used a lighter and a box cutter. You will also need to pick up some small nuts and bolts to tightly mount the speakers in to the brackets. Then you use the factory Saturn screws to mount the whole thing in the door.

DO NOT BUY the Metra 72-4568 wiring harnesses. Regardless of what sonicelectronix website says, they will not fit in my 2005 Vue. My advice... just cut the wires. After all there's only 2 per speaker.

With regards to the dome light problem...
I picked up some silicone spray as ruley73 had suggested, but when I got home I noticed that the problem had gone away. I used the spray on the dome light switches anyway, just to loosen them up a bit. While doing that I noticed that there seems to be a loose connection on the plunger on the front drivers side. At least if it happens again I will know where the problem is, so it shouldn't cost as much to get it fixed.

Thanks to everyone for all your help with this!! (Especially XRL)
Cheers!
Old 04-09-2021, 05:04 PM   #17
Freyakan
Freyakan is on a distinguished road

6x9 speaker will fit without any mod.
Freyakan is offline   Reply With Quote