saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 10-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Gushie
Gushie is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2002 SL2
Default Advice on getting Saturn to replace tires

I'm looking for some advice here. My L has only 31k miles, but when I recently rotated the tires (the original Firestone Firehawks) I noticed the tread is nearly down to the wear bars on all 4 tires. I haven't had any alignment problems and the tires have worn evenly - but they're pretty much worn out.

It seems pretty absurd I'd only get 31k miles out of these tires. Certainly I know the better option is to buy new and better tires, but I'm wondering what my chances are of getting Saturn to replace my Firestones under warranty. So I'm curious what kinds of experiences others have had with getting Saturn to replace prematurely worn Firestones for free.

(I'm just looking for advice in this regard - I KNOW the tires suck and I should replace them with something else... I'm just weighing options here. I don't need advice about non-Firestones right now.)

Thanks!
Gushie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
beensmoked
beensmoked will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Advice on getting Saturn to replace tires

well who did the tire rotations? and how often do u get your alignment checked? If it isn't documented anywhere that you rotated your tires or recieved alignments your out of luck
beensmoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
saturnjohnny
saturnjohnny is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

it aint gonna happen, my L only went about 24K when I got out of the lease early and got a VUE. when I asked, saturn says the warranty is from firestone, and the firestone guy said OEM tires arent mileage warranted. its a scam, most all OEM tires wear faster than the same tire bought aftermarket. if you bought them at firestone, they have a 50K warranty on them.
the lease company at least only charged me for one tire.
saturnjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Ok.. Be honest. How aggressively do you drive the car? If you're like me, freeway onramps at 40-50 are the norm. Not so good for tire life.
I replaced mine with Bridgestone Potenza G 009. Nice quiet tire with lots of grip. Decent snow traction. Should cost $450 - $500, mounted , balanced, road hazard, etc.
Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Speedy
Speedy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gushie
Certainly I know the better option is to buy new and better tires, but I'm wondering what my chances are of getting Saturn to replace my Firestones under warranty.
Did Saturn do all of your tire work, rotations, etc.? If so you might have an argument. If not, I seriously doubt it.

My 2000 LS2 has about 105K miles on it and I'm on my second set of aftermarkets. I replaced the OEM tires somewhere around 35-45thousnad miles if IIRC. Didn't bother to ask the dealer. I never had them take care of my tires becasue I have a small shop tire guy who I trust much more than the dealer.

If you go the aftermarket route, chech tirerack.com for good info.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:59 AM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

L-series eat OEM tires. They are considered a wear item and are not NORMALLY warrentied except for manufacturers defects.
Chances of getting warrenty on them for wearing out is slim and none---slim just left town.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
marmaduke
marmaduke is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Once I got my firestones replaced by Saturn Dealer without me even asking them. I took it just for an oil change and the guy just did the job and informed me while the new ones are being put on.

I'm sure the mechanic got an earfull by the service advisors for doing it since next time I went over there, advisor was all antsy trying to sell me shimkit and new tierod etc.. Perhaps he thought I conned them to put new tires on when infact I had no idea they were worn to begin with.
marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmaduke
Once I got my firestones replaced by Saturn Dealer without me even asking them. I took it just for an oil change and the guy just did the job and informed me while the new ones are being put on.

I'm sure the mechanic got an earfull by the service advisors for doing it since next time I went over there, advisor was all antsy trying to sell me shimkit and new tierod etc.. Perhaps he thought I conned them to put new tires on when infact I had no idea they were worn to begin with.
I'm sure there's alot more to the story than what you were told. For a shop to replace something on a whim like that, somebody had to of EF'd something up.
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
marmaduke
marmaduke is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10W30
I'm sure there's alot more to the story than what you were told. For a shop to replace something on a whim like that, somebody had to of EF'd something up.
Nope.. mechanic said that he was giving me 4 free tires for premature wear. A lot depends on which service advisor/mechanic combo is present at the time. They just happen to be nice guys. Other advisor was just downright nasty.
marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
Gushie
Gushie is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2002 SL2

Thanks everyone for your comments. This has been very helpful. Seems pretty clear I can cross this idea off my list. I guess I'm going tire shopping.
Gushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 AM   #11
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Let us know what you end up with. I'll be tire shopping soon. I have 36k and will try to get through the winter, but then it's time. Hopefully the new ones will be a little less noisy
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote