SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-02-2022, 11:55 AM   #1
HiWire
HiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really nice

2001 SC2
Default Hum/roar from front driver's side wheel area – 2001 SC2 manual

My mechanic thinks it might be the wheel bearing (taking it to him tomorrow for a test drive) and I've checked the tire pressure (31 psi – no problems) – don't see anything funny on the tire.

Any other possibilities? I was thinking:

brakes
axle
alignment
suspension part

Probably just the bearing, though. They seem to be relatively inexpensive and available online.
HiWire is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
HiWire
HiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really nice

2001 SC2
Default Re: Hum/roar from front driver's side wheel area – 2001 SC2 manual

So it turned out to be the transmission - the wheel bearings are fine.

Looks like it will probably be a rebuild and a new clutch.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #3
Thorp
Thorp is on a distinguished road

ive got a hum on the passnger side of my 99,, im hoping its just a wheel bearing. only happens at speed and doesnt change if i do anything with the clutch.
Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:45 AM   #4
HiWire

2001 SC2

The clutch seems to be fine. They recommended replacing it while they are going in there. It's an OEM Luk clutch and I think I've had it for over 10 years now - the dealership replaced the original clutch when they were repairing the front main seal.

The mechanic said something about the input shaft or bearings, but we can't tell until they open the transmission up. It was leaking a bit, too. It's making a lot of noise on the highway now, but he said it is safe to drive.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:10 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

The trans input bearing/seal seems to be extinct, with no reasonable replacement scheme right now. There was a thread a few months back that discussed this problem in some detail. I would not let a shop spend much time/money opening the trans to repair it unless they can assure you they can get needed parts.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:07 PM   #6
HiWire

2001 SC2

Thanks, Bill.

They're having trouble finding the parts, which means it will likely be a used transmission, hopefully from a 2002 SC2 or the like.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
Ricketts
Ricketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of light

2000 SC1

13 years ago, I had a reputable mechanic here tell me my hum was the intermediate shaft. I sourced one, he replaced it, and the hum was still there. It did eventually turn out to be a wheel bearing. The bearings checked out fine using the usual check methods (jack up, check for wheel play) but still made noise and had to be replaced. I can't recall which side, but we decided to do both driver's and passenger's side at the time and it has been good since. Hopefully you don't get a bunch of transmission work done and it turns out to be the wheel bearing after all. Is the noise constant, or does it change if you are steering left or right?
2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:37 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

^^^^ +1

I replaced a noisy front wheel bearing that had no obvious looseness or wear in the balls/races; but was still noisy.

Also, I would just tolerate a "trans noise" until it was certain that is where the problem is. If you keep lube in them, it is very rare for a manual trans to have sudden failure, such as to endanger or strand you.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:59 PM   #9
HiWire

2001 SC2

Thanks, guys.

The noise has gotten worse and it is almost certainly from the transmission. I've asked a lister on eBay about a used transmission and I'm hoping they'll be able to ship it.