SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 10-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
edheidke21
edheidke21 is on a distinguished road

Default 07 2.2 ecotech crankshaft

ive got a 07 Ion which I bought with a rod knock. I gave my boss the VIN and asked him to order me a new crankshaft. I pulled the engine and installed the new crankshaft without checking it in detail, got everything back together and started it up. First start it kinda cranked long but thought nothing of it being i had the car apart for about a month. She ran great, no noises or anything. Shut it off and restarted. I thought it still had a kinda long crank but then realized i had to do a crankshaft relearn. I tried to do a relearn but found the ecm not picking up engine rpms on my scanner. I checked in other scan data that the rpms were working just fine and the tach was working. I was getting kinda confused. Looking into it more the pcm wasn't picking up the crank signal correctly so i just assumed i damaged the crank sensor while disassembly and reassembly. I installed a new sensor and had the same problem. So next night i decided i was going to check wiring thinking i damaged something when i pulled the engine. All that checked good. So I went over all my grounds, they also were fine. After doing a bunch of research I figured out the wrong crankshaft was ordered and installed. The crank i pulled out had a reluctor wheel with 58 teeth on it and the one i installed had the teeth built into the crankshaft lobe. Ive been told by the parts store that my engine is actually a 2.4... Im not believing that.

So i guess my question is, has anyone come across this and is there a way to program my PCM to look for the 05/06 crank and not the 07 crank reluctor wheel? Or am i going to have to pull the engine back apart and install the correct crankshaft? If i program it as a 05/06 is it going to mess with my ignition because i have 4 seperate coils and not the one coil pack/ignition module.

Thanks for any advise!

Last edited by edheidke21; 10-11-2021 at 09:44 PM.
edheidke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 07 2.2 ecotech crankshaft

I think you were sent an incorrect crankshaft. Using rockauto parts images, your '07 uses an Enginetech part #104550 with what appears to be a missing reluctor wheel in the image. The view from the pulley end shows two of threaded holes behind the pulley flange on a machined hub of the crank web. My guess is the reluctor wheel is removed and transferred to the replacement.

The '06 rockauto parts list shows two crankshafts, one as described above and the other as Enginetech part #104500 with the crank pulley end showing the crank web with machined notches. Is this your replacement crankshaft?

According to your descriptions of the original crankshaft, I think you were supposed to have part #104550 and transfer the reluctor wheel from the old crank onto the new one.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote