SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 06-10-2021, 01:44 AM   #1
patfood
patfood is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Rat nest in engine air box, chewed through filter. Sea Foam Top Engine Cleaner?

2005 Vue 3.5 V6 AWD 89K (Supposedly towed behind RV for up to 40K of that)

Hello and thanks for reading!

TLDR:
Does anyone have experience running Sea Foam through the 3.5 v6? It has almost certainly sucked rat poop and debris into the intake. Would you put Sea Foam top engine cleaner through it?

The Issue:

So I recently bought the car from an estate and it had been sitting for a while. I discovered the engine air filter had been chewed through, with a nasty pile of droppings / rat nest material in the air box.

The car runs fairly well. Its powerful. But it seems to have a slight hesitation / rough idle while it's warming up. A fluctuation of about 35rpm, maybe this is normal?

It also has seemingly low fuel economy. It was extremely bad. I put new tires on the 18" wheels and just clocked 22.5 mpg all highway, a great improvement. Not sure if 22.5 is expected real use hwy mpg or not?

What I've Tried:
Changed the plugs with Denso Iridium SKJ16DR-M11 (Thanks RedGeminiPA). Cleaned The Map sensor. New engine air filter and thoroughly cleaned air box (did this when nest discovered). Techron fuel treatment. New PCV valve.

Would you run the sea foam (or CRC intake valve cleaner) through it? Risks seem to be possibly damaging Cat or.. who knows.

Also this is my first post but y'all have helped me out a lot! I got the car in March and since i've also replaced the timing belt / water pump, ball joints, sway bar end links and bushings, struts (all around), strut mounts, trans fluid, dome light fixture, and stereo. This site has helped me much along the way. (Always get a pre purchase inspection kids). I'm a fan of this car and really appreciate this community!!
patfood is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2021, 01:57 AM   #2
patfood
patfood is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Rat nest in engine air box, chewed through filter. Sea Foam Top Engine Cleaner?

Well anyway.. I'm thinking of putting the old plugs back in, sending seafoam through the thing, crossing my fingers, then putting the shiny new plugs back in when it's said and done..

Wish me luck?
patfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
JefferyC
JefferyC is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Rat nest in engine air box, chewed through filter. Sea Foam Top Engine Cleaner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfood View Post
Well anyway.. I'm thinking of putting the old plugs back in, sending seafoam through the thing, crossing my fingers, then putting the shiny new plugs back in when it's said and done..

Wish me luck?
Good Luck! 22.5 is good. Not used Sea Foam or CRC.
JefferyC is offline   Reply With Quote