SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
bnaffin
bnaffin is on a distinguished road

Default No heat - blend door?

I have a 2006 Saturn vue. I bought this vehicle with a salvage title. When I first picked it up it didn't have radiator fluid and there was no heat. The AC worked great. I put in a new thermostat, flushed the heater core both ways and flushed the entire coolant system. Still no heat. I was thinking maybe the blend or activator. I could see the activator rotate as I went from hot to cold on my dial. One day while driving the heat came on.I mean super hot, but asl I could get was heart no cold air was available. I started it this morning, and I'm back to just cold air. The A.C. is working great and I have lots of cold air. I can't get heat no matter what I try now though. Blend door? Fuse, relay switch? I have the glove compartment and middle panel removed. I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
bnaffin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: No heat - blend door?

With the heater core flushed in both directions and feeling heat at one time, the heater core isn't blocked and points to actuator motor, temperature door/linkage damage or cable issue. Is your hvac auto climate control with an electronically adjustable door actuator or manually operated cable to adjust for temperature control? The temperature door adjusts for the amount of air flow to the heater core to allow modulating as much or little heated air is blown into the cabin.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
bnaffin

Thanks for the response. It has an electric actuator. When I change the temperature from hot to cold or cold to hot I can see the actuator rotating.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaffin View Post
......It has an electric actuator. When I change the temperature from hot to cold or cold to hot I can see the actuator rotating.
My best guess: if the actuator is rotating then it is moving something - a rod, or some extension off of the blend air door. Find the item that is being moved by the actuator. Something could be broken there and thus not allowing for any movement of the door.

(FWIW, Saturn was using at least one electric actuator for its HVAC set up since '96 [perhaps earlier, but my research only ends at that model year].)
378K miles - engine replaced (375K).
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
bnaffin

Big win tonight. I was able to get the blend door actuator out. Sure enough, the plastic piece that attaches to the back was broken off. Now I have to figure out how to get in there to change out the actual door. I can't find a good resource. I'm going to try and figure it out though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170510_184319.jpg (62.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does the black plastic piece on the end of the actuator come off? If this actuator is plugged back into its connector, laid out as is, will the actuator run without binding? Will it still run when holding to resist movement?

If the black piece is part of the broken temperature door (try separating it from the gray part of the actuator - it may slide off), the hvac box may have to come out for repair - the temperature door may need to be replaced. Something may have jammed. Not something done every day. Procedures for removal are available but that's getting ahead of this problem.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
bnaffin

The plastic piece comes right out of the actuator. I can feel where it twisted off inside.i still need to test the actual actuator, but it worked fine prior to me taking it out.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #8
bnaffin

This bolt is on the bottom of my vents. I was able to remove a few screws, and this is the last fastener on the vent casing. I'm thinking if I can remove the vents I may be able to access the next cover which should have the blend door inside. It looks like a star socket. Any ideas? Since everything is so tight I can't get above to look...I don't want to break something else.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #9
bnaffin

Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170510_200022.jpg (59.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the temperature door broke, you have two options. One is disassembling many things in the interior for access to the HVAC box, possibly requiring disconnecting refrigerant lines and heater hoses to remove the HVAC box in its entirety to disassemble it to replace the temperature door or attempting a short cut to avoid the headache. There are no short cut procedures and you would be on your own. If the temperature door is jammed, preventing normal travel, disassembling the HVAC box may be your only option. If the temperature door can be moved without jamming, there may be a chance to glue the broken piece back on, using epoxy (JB WELD). The​ pieces must match for epoxy to work. There are some ideas to expand on this if this is the way to go.

To review procedures for access to the HVAC box, pm me an email address with car model, year and mention the temperature door. The files from service manuals are too large to post here
Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 AM   #11
bnaffin

Thanks for all of the help. I will try and JB weld it if I can. Will this hold up well enough for the demand of the actuator twisting? Since it is broken already it is worth trying. When i pushed on the temperature door it had a little recoil to it (sprung back), but I can't access it well enough to turn it.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #12
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaffin View Post
Big win tonight. I was able to get the blend door actuator out. Sure enough, the plastic piece that attaches to the back was broken off. Now I have to figure out how to get in there to change out the actual door. I can't find a good resource. I'm going to try and figure it out though.
Take a look at the link below. It appears that the "door" in question is item no. 23. The actuator may be item no. 12 at the right (there is another actuator labeled no. 12 at the left of the parts breakdown picture). Don't concern yourself with the engine sizes selected as there are no differences with HVAC parts in this area of the vehicle.

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...rimLevel=25358

Compare part identification with this link
http://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-pa...omponents-scat

If you are able to reconnect the actuator without fully installing it - to save some time and effort when testing it - and the small silver/gray metal part rotates in both directions, then at least that part is okay. As for the "door," if the part cannot be found as a new item then you'll have to visit a wrecking yard to get one. I did this for my car when - as a result of my own ignorance - I broke the extension arm off of the air inlet (circulation) door.

While at the self-serve wrecking yard I totally mangled the "snap in area" (my description, certainly not from the factory!) on an HVAC case to get the replacement door out of it. Oh well...... On my car I was able to slide the old door from its interior mounting on the HVAC case because the extension arm was broken and out of the way. I slid the replacement door to its interior mounting and snapped the extension arm into the outer wall of the case (nearest the firewall). The "door" location on the VUE HVAC case appears to be a bit deeper inside of that unit than it was in my situation. Someone with an FSM or access to ALLDatadiy.com will have to provide you with information to guide you in replacing the blend door.

P.S. You have nothing to lose in attempting to use epoxy to repair the blend door. An unfortunate fact is that not all plastics allow epoxys to adhere to them very well even when all preparations are performed correctly prior to applying the epoxy. If the part can be put together in this way will it actually hold well and be a long term repair? I have no idea, but I certainly hope that it will.
378K miles - engine replaced (375K).
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct.

Last edited by pierrot; 05-11-2017 at 12:18 AM.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you choose to use epoxy like JB Weld (takes several hours to set, overnight to harden), I would suggest a sleeve to surround the two pieces being epoxied to ensure epoxy doesn't seep out and bond the moving parts to the hole. Check for hole clearance, enough to make a sleeve from aluminum foil or scotch tape. The idea is to make a simple sleeve that slips easily over both broken pieces yet allow epoxy to stay on the two pieces to set overnight without gluing the pieces to the hvac hole. Prefitting the broken piece removed from the actuator and alignment if this piece is keyed to the actuator. The broken piece must mate as identical breaks mate together to allow epoxy to mesh and surround the pieces for a good bond. Be sure to take your time as the mating parts must be aligned as perfectly as possible to prevent misalignment after setting up, preventing actuator from fitting perfectly for free rotation when powered up. If scotch tape is used, taping two sticky sides together can work to make a sleeve that's transparent for viewing while helping align the broken pieces together. Aluminum foil can be used too but may tear easily if caught on a sharp edge while alignment occurs. Whatever sleeve material is used, expect it to remain glued on from epoxy contact.

If the plastic is polyethylene or abs, epoxy should work as long as there's enough surface area for epoxy to flow and act as a filler, binding parts together. The tough part about epoxy bonding to plastics is one problem, The other may be the freezing temperatures as plastics have different expansion/contraction rates. Radiator side tanks do not allow epoxy repairs and may be due to dirty surfaces (antifreeze is oily) and poor adhesion. Other plastics allow epoxy repairs but have to be considered on a case by case issue.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you choose to use epoxy like JB Weld (takes several hours to set, overnight to harden).
Many quicker setting and plastic compatible epoxies(1-5 minute initial set). Crosshatching area to be glued with a sharp razor helps adhesion, as does a swipe w/ acetone.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Another good idea if 5-minute epoxy works when an overnight wait is too long.

For whatever reason, local stores including Home Depot aren't stocking quick setting epoxies. People drinking cool aid (aka Jim Jones) with epoxy mix? I had all three, the five minute mix and twenty four hour types when I needed them for hobbies. JB WELD has been my go to glue, good enough to fix a broken plastic handle on a very old micro wave oven (string soaked in it to reinforce the bond like fiberglass).
Old 05-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #16
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
^ Another good idea if 5-minute epoxy works when an overnight wait is too long.
JB WELD has been my go to glue, good enough to fix a broken plastic handle on a very old micro wave oven (string soaked in it to reinforce the bond like fiberglass).
I found a 5 minute JBweld on the shelf recently. Wally World has a fair selection of epoxies, I have found, when scarce elsewhere.
If the glue joint can be braced well for the duration, a slower set should be stronger. 1,5 min epoxies still need time/heat to cure after the initial set.
A hair dryer, used after the initial set, could be used to speed up the thermoset properties of most epoxies.

Polyester thread also works as a very strong wrap.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote