SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
wizetekie
wizetekie is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default high idle after cleaning

Hey i was looking around and i saw that the ruff idle to stalling out problem could be fix by cleaning the TB so i took it off and cleaned to good, and now im dealing with a idle around 1900 and it just stays there ive looked around and had no luck the idle is still high and ive tried to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and no luck there.. grrrrrr. can anyone help me with this..

wize
ALL THE WORLD NEEDS is a LITTLE BASS!!!

ARE YOU ARMY STRONG?!?!?!?

I know I am...

Mods Injen CAI
12" Sony Subwoofer Poly Shaped 1000 WATT
940 Watt Amp by Kenwood bridged
Sony Radio Deck
wizetekie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: high idle after cleaning

did you take the intake manifold off?? is the tb on there tight?? sounds like a vacume leak try taking off the tb and making sure the gasket is in the rite place..
VISIT MY CARDOMAIN --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259877
s256 turbo, vulcan intake, exedy clutch, 8.9:1, camed, eagle rods, 2.4 tb, B&G coilovers, patriot head, stage 2 axels 418whp 2.2 :)
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
wizetekie

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

yeah everything seems to be in the right spot now the only thing is that rubber seal that was between the TB and the original intake system after i put the injen on there i notice that the rubber piece that u tighten the ring clamp around has some wear spots from when i originally installed is torn on the inside

I know I am...

Mods Injen CAI
Sony Radio Deck
Old 01-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
wizetekie

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

ok im still having problems with it so here r some this that i did to see if it would work i changed my CAI to a Short intake because of this
and i switched it out with one of the rubber connections from the Injen system which looks like this and so after doing all that today i reset the computer again and its still idling high and here is what my intake looks like now also can someone plz help me i just hoping that when i cleaned it yesterday i moving the butterfly to open to clean the inside, so i hope i don't need to get a new TB???
thx and plz help me.

I know I am...

Mods Injen CAI
Sony Radio Deck
Old 01-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
RocSL2
RocSL2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1996 SL2

did u plug the throttle position sensor back in? how did u clean it out? just a degreaser/soap/or gumout type cleaner rite? please tell me u didnt clean it by sanding it at all or something like that
It Ain't No Honda but looks better,sounds a hell of alot better,and performs better. lol.
RocSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
elizann773
elizann773 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Since we all have to same car here(relatively) does anyone else have this sound....mostly when I shut the car off, Ill hear 3clicks, sounds like from the trunk. Its been doing it since I got the car w/27k on it. I called Saturn about another issue and also asked about that, she said to check the trunk for water cuz it may be getting on the battery...that wasnt it but then after I was thinking, "water in my trunk?? She said it like its normal!" lol Its still does it, randomly now, I was just curious if anyone knew what that really was....it almost sounds like the doors when you remote lock them but its not, Ill hear it when Im still in the car, and its almost always 3clicks...

thanks, and best of luck with your dilemma, wish I had an answer but I think you're in good hands here
elizann773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

search on here for high idle problems, someone had to relearn the TB after cleaning it. I've cleaned mine a couple times and have had no problems. there is no TPS connection, either the TB is plugged in or not
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
wizetekie

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

well all i used to clean it was carb cleaner and a rag, and i did take the TB off to clean it and if i didn't plug the control cable back ok the car wouldn't have turned over im just hoping that after some time that the car will relearn the TB since being cleaned and ill be searching for more answers on this.

on that other post i do hear the 3 clicks too i have no clue what it could be.. sry

thx everyone and if you 06 ion2 find anything let me know about the relearn process

I know I am...

Mods Injen CAI
Sony Radio Deck
Old 01-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...hlight=relearn here, and it's 2006 ion2, 06 ion2 is the other guy
2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:13 AM   #10
wizetekie

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

sry about that and thx

I know I am...

Mods Injen CAI
Sony Radio Deck
Old 01-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Elizann773,

What you hear is the carbon evaporative canister; it's an emissions control device. It's a normal sound on Ions, though it is unsettling to hear when you don't know what makes that noise.

Both of my Ions made it and the current one does it either during warm-up or after I shut it off and I'm walking away from it.

See this thread for more info - http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...+evap+canister
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
vintagegz
vintagegz is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

This is procedure from service manual, hope it helps. From what I understand, and I could be wrong on this, is that the throttle plate can move either way, unlike the old cable operated/controlled throttle plates:

Important: Do NOT perform this procedure if DTCs are set. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle .

Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
With a scan tool, monitor desired and actual RPM.
The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.
Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.
Important: During the drive cycle the check engine light may come on with idle speed DTCs. If idle speed codes are set, clear codes so the ECM can continue to learn.

⇒ If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at speeds above 70 km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.

After the drive cycle, the engine should be idling normally.
⇒ If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds and repeat step 6.

Once the engine speed has returned to normal, clear DTCs.
vintagegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

umm, I already posted a link to this info, why be redundant?
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
vintagegz
vintagegz is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I believe the info was from an AllData report, thought an official GM explanation might help, sorry if both of us have 2 ways of getting the same info.
vintagegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
wizetekie

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

well letting everyone know im still having the high idle problem it has not gone away even though i did everything that the post said about the 3 min on and 60 sec off, ive done it like 10 times and it still around 1800-2000 rpm high Warm.

Grrrr i hope the TB isn't messed up i can still drive but the car has a problem slowing down after i let off the pedal it hesitates a little then drops but not down to 800rpm's it stops droping at 1600rpm's i guess im gonna have to fork over 98 bucks just to have saturn tell why its still high...

thx for all the info guys if u guys find anything else different PLZ.. let me know

thx again

wize

I know I am...

Mods Injen CAI
Sony Radio Deck
Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

it could be the throttle body or the ECM could need a reflash.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
jasonl
jasonl is on a distinguished road

Hey you're not alone. I too cleaned my TB out with the TB cleaner spray and now I have a 1,500 rpm idle, mine is a 5 speed and the rpm's hang between gears. I tried the re-learn also and have mixed results. Sometimes it will be idling at 1,500 and I turn the fan on and it drops right down to 800, but if I rev it, it settles back in the 1,500 range. I am gonna just drive it a while and hope it re-learns like the guy in the other thread. BTW, I cleaned mine in an attempt to take care of an annoying 2,000rpm buck/surge. Yeah, didn't work. Let us know if yours re-learns on it's own.
jasonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you know, the quickest and best way to relearn anything powertrain wise on these cars is to pull the ECU fuse. Also, with the manual transmission, the car forces the engine to run a high idle when between gears, when you stop it should go to low idle after a few seconds, but once it's time to shift out of first it goes to high idle again, it helps you rev match.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #19
wizetekie

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Dizzy Re: high idle after cleaning

well mine has not relearned itself yet and i have put about 1500 miles on it since it started and car still runs at 1500-1800 and hangs between shifts and when i goin to stop i put the clutch in the rpms increase to 3000 on its own no throttle applied grrr i waiting for my tax check to come in to see if the dealer can reflash or tell me the throttle body is damaged so i hope ur problems fix itself and u don't have to deal with wait i am. On top of everything else with this problem my gas milage has gone down badly i get like 20 miles to the gallon now and it sucks i hope the dealer can help me with the TB

I know I am...

Mods Injen CAI
Sony Radio Deck
Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #20
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is your Ion drive-by-wire using a servo driven throttle (TAC) and electronic gas pedal (APP), mass air flow (MAF) sensor that's fitted onto the Injen CAI?

Saturn's L300's use this on all their's since 2000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cold air intake.jpg (94.0 KB, 9 views)
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote