SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-28-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
Kiko
Kiko is on a distinguished road

Default 98 Saturn sl2 engine swap help

So I have a 99 saturn sl2 and had a 98 saturn sl2.
The 98 saturn sl2 was a manual engine and trans federal emmisions with zero issues or codes. I drove it all the way until I did the swap into the 99 saturn sl2 which was a automatic engine and trans also cali emmisions. I had multiple codes with the 99 saturn sl2 on top of a blown engine so I did the swap. it runs it drives it shifts gears really easy. I couldn't be happier about how easily everything went together. my issue is I have several codes still. I've changed parts and wiring pigtails connectors several times now and to no end. everything in this 99 Saturn sl2 now has every component from the 98.
Engine
Trans
Wireing harness
Egr
map
shifter link cables
shifter
pcm
tps
iac
everything tbh
ive went over grounds and all the wires.everything is unplugged and made sure to have a good connections. im not really good with a volt meter so if you can help with that that would be awesome to
i stay getting codes p0405 , p0107 and p0141. all of which tell me i either have a bad ground somewhere , my pcm is bad, or wire is bad. can someone help me out and tell me if they have ever had this issue. i can clear the code and it pops right back on immediately. if anyone could shed me some light it would be great.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2022, 08:48 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 98 Saturn sl2 engine swap help

Do you have live-data? What is the MAP; KOEO, idling, full throttle, and cruising around on level ground (any speed will do)?

PS: if your location altitude is over 500 ft., let us know how high.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:49 PM   #3
Kiko

I do not have live data. It will start and idle high at 1600 rpm immediately jump down to 1100 to 1200 rpms and stays shifting the idle between those numbers up and down. i really did not have any issues with any parts or codes before i took it out and put into another car. i have owned it for over five years and only did the swap because of rust. should i just take the whole wiring harness out and see if i broke or kinked a wire? or could that relay box be the culprut. because i never changed that and had issues before with the previous car stateing voltage issues i also live in cleveland ohio... so mine ranges anywhere from 500 to 1000 ft above sea lvl

Last edited by Kiko; 11-28-2022 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:07 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Doing an engine change involves disturbing pretty much every connection of wiring, hoses, and mechanisms. Probably even more so with a transplant. There are many possible suspects here. I suggest you get set up to read live-data. It may save a lot of time, frustration, and cost. Live-data can be cheaply obtained using an ELM327 type of link.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:37 PM   #5
Kiko

okay i will buy that and post what i get. thankyou for that piece of information. that looks to be very helpful
Old 12-03-2022, 09:07 PM   #6
billr
Master Member

I have no personal experience with the ELM327 stuff, but my understanding is there is a considerable difference in quality/functionality between the devices that cost $15 and under as opposed to those that cost $25 or more. I hope others here will offer suggestions for specific hardware.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:40 PM   #7
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I bought this one. Seems to work fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NLQAHS
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:47 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Unsure why you didn't just swap the engine, flexplate and torque converter. Everything else should have been reuseable from the '99. Might have needed to swap the exhaust manifold & downpipe as well.

Changing pigtails not only indicates you're using the wrong part but introducing a new potential point of failure.

I didn't have a problem with my $20ish ELM327, but overall reports say some are generic clones that work like crap while others are legit and work great and you don't know which is which until you try it. IIRC bluetooth models don't work with iPhones while WiFi models work with iPhone or Android...modern iPhones could have changed this.

I don't see anything specific in common with the 3 codes you have listed, other than general voltage issues. There's an easy to miss ground for the O2 sensors and PCM under the intake manifold near intake runner #4.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P0107 map sensor signal.pdf (61.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf P0141 HO2S low currant.pdf (77.2 KB, 1 views)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #9
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Doing an engine change involves disturbing pretty much every connection of wiring,
...unless you keep the wire harness on the donor engine/trans. That reduces the number of disconnects considerably.
1999 SL2 MT (311,300 km @ 01/2023)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:26 PM   #10
Kiko

so i figured out it was the junction box located under the hood. replaced it and all but one error went away. p0141. I had replaced the harness prior but accidently pulled them off when changing the engine/trans over from the donor car. but I don't remember the color diagram for the 97/98 version. it looks to have purple pink and two black with white stripes on my 98 wire. I have the 97 connector to wire up but I cant figure it out lolol. anyone know the colors for both years. and the reason for the swap was i originally bought the new Saturn to just get in a clean no rust Saturn and swap majority of parts. but then released the the engine had a blown head and seen it was simpler to just change everything. but didn't change the junction box with the swap and ripped my wires apart from where i wired them together on the 02 sensor connector on the wire harness when i pulled it all out....... i kinda figured the p0141 was part of the whole other issue i was having but it seems not. lolol. i have the ngk o2 sensor thats actuly recommended i just dont wanna put on untill these four wires are wired correctly. i appricate everyones help that tool helped alot in figureing out what was and wasnt getting any power.

Edit: the wire harness for the connector that i need to wire on has a color cordnation of tan/ brown/ black/ and pink 97 saturn
the wire harness for my 98 has purple pink black and black both blacks have a white stripe.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #11
Kiko

fetchitfido - i actuly took off those old connectors for that ground before the whole swap. like 2 years prior. redid them and never had an issue i generally did the whole swap because the engine and trans were garbage and would have cost me more to rebuild then to just move from my other one. i had bought my new saturn to get away from rust. this new one has almost zero rust and was garage kept its whole life. but the daughter of theprevious owner didnt want the headache because it stopped starting. i seen a pretty easy fix at first but it pushed coolant into the heads from a blown head gasket. smoked supper bad and i mean bad. i tried alot before just saying f it and doing the whole swap. i had everything i think the only thing i had to buy to do the whole thing was the engine hoist and leveler. it cost me 300 bucks to do the whole swap and 2 days of my time to take both engines and trans out/ and everything needed from the manual saturn. because the new one i bought was auto.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:45 PM   #12
Kiko

fetchitfido - i owned my last saturn for 5 years and did alot of work on her. the only reason i got rid of her was because the rear end rotted out and just couldnt do anything for my rear trailing arms. wheels started to bend back alignment issues steering issues ext. she was on her last leg and just used everything from her on the new one. she runs great now that that box is fixed. starts right up no more high idle at startup. just this issue with the o2 sensor now..... im really happy to use everything from the 98 saturn. she did me alot of justice. she made me alot of money and got me places i needed to be. even helped save my grandma, i was very happy to do the swap because that was more for me to have from that car that truely blessed me and my family thru all our hard times. and i just want to keep her going in this one now. she is everything i wanted to do for her in the last one its just i need help figureing out this issue now lolol.. crazy part is everyone told me to get rid of this car because they said it would be nothing but problems but this car has lasted longer then any car ive owned and got me everywhere. shes died on me a couple times. but thats issues i knew and tried to push further then i should have.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:48 PM   #13
Kiko

Waiex191 - i see you have something posted in your signiture. dif pin mod. im assuming thats a mod so that you dont blow a baseball sized hole in the trans what is that mod exactly. ive done this 4 times to my trans and im kinda tired of blowing a whole in my trans and replaceing.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:11 PM   #14
billr
Master Member

This is the connector for the rear O2 sensor, correct?

Clarify what you have there: what year is the harness, what year is the connector "pig-tail" that needs to be attached?

You started this thread as a '98/99 swap, but in reply #10 you are referring to a '97 part...

This is what is confusing me:

"Edit: the wire harness for the connector that i need to wire on has a color cordnation of tan/ brown/ black/ and pink 97 saturn
the wire harness for my 98 has purple pink black and black both blacks have a white stripe."
Old 01-01-2023, 08:41 PM   #15
Kiko

okay the pigtail is from a 97 Saturn sl2 auto that I need to attach to my 98 Saturn sl2 manual harness. the 97 Saturn sl2 pigtail has a color coordination of brown, pink, tan and black/white stripe. my 98 Saturn sl2 wire harness has a color coordination of black/white stripe, black/white stripe, purple and pink. I apologize it started as help for that. they helped me figure out my junction box under my hood went bad. now im just seeing if someone can tell me what colors go with which on this post sense i had the issue stated in the original post. if i have to create a whole new thread and close this one i will.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:48 PM   #16
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Waiex191 - i see you have something posted in your signiture. dif pin mod. im assuming thats a mod so that you dont blow a baseball sized hole in the trans what is that mod exactly. ive done this 4 times to my trans and im kinda tired of blowing a whole in my trans and replaceing.
I followed Hunt4Steve's guide.
https://sites.google.com/site/hunt4s...n/transmission
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:48 PM   #17
billr
Master Member

I can't help with the wire colors; the schematic I have only shows one O2 sensor, and the colors don't correlate to what has been posted.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:47 AM   #18
Kiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I can't help with the wire colors; the schematic I have only shows one O2 sensor, and the colors don't correlate to what has been posted.
i am sorry i also didnt see you asked if its the rear and it is the rear o2 sensor. would you still give me the schematic for both color coordination's if you have them. im going to take out the whole harness and trace it back. i dont wanna do this but im not seeing much of a choice.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:53 AM   #19
Kiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
thankyou sir i will look into this. im tired of replacing my trans on this saturn haha ive went thru four trans already blowing a hole in the same spot from this pin being sent im assuming. ive had 2 other people tell me i need to do a mod on the diff pin and just never understood untill i seen that post. so thankyou
Old 01-02-2023, 07:56 AM   #20
Kiko

i just wanna say thankyou aswell for your help bill. you have been a great help with everything im dealing with