SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-19-2021, 11:52 PM   #1
afskwarek
afskwarek is a jewel in the roughafskwarek is a jewel in the roughafskwarek is a jewel in the rough

Default Oil Pressure Lamp Won't Turn On Even With Good Bulb

Hi,

I worked on swapping my gauge lights with leds on my 99 sl1 and noticed an issue after I got done. Upon the ignition on, dash lights test, all my warning lights etc were good except the oil pressure light. It has a good bulb. I switched around the bulb in case polarity was wrong. Still didn't light up. Maybe I damaged something? To test that, I even swapped the gauge cluster with a spare one I had on hand. Oil pressure light still wouldn't light up, and I made sure that one had a good bulb too. Normally, wouldn't really care. But if there's ever an issue with oil pressure, I'd certainly want to know. Really not sure why it's not coming on.
afskwarek is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Oil Pressure Lamp Won't Turn On Even With Good Bulb

What happens when you unplug the oil pressure sensor?
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Isn't the sender a normally closed switch? So if you unplug it and short to ground the light should be on.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=269

That would check the circuit excluding the sender.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

Last edited by Waiex191; 07-20-2021 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added OldNuc quote
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I've had it come unplugged a few times scaring the...oil...out of me with the red "change engine soon" light coming on, but yes the next step after unplugging is grounding to check the ground leg of the circuit.

I'd have to dig further to see where the power leg comes from.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
afskwarek
afskwarek is a jewel in the roughafskwarek is a jewel in the roughafskwarek is a jewel in the rough

Follow up, yeah I tried unplugging the sensor. Even plugged it in to another sensor and let it hang loose to simulate a lack of oil pressure. Light still won't come on.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afskwarek View Post
Follow up, yeah I tried unplugging the sensor. Even plugged it in to another sensor and let it hang loose to simulate a lack of oil pressure. Light still won't come on.
Take the wire off the sensor and ground it to the block to simulate loss of oil pressure.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Old 07-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
afskwarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Take the wire off the sensor and ground it to the block to simulate loss of oil pressure.
I apologize. My electrical knowledge pretty bad. Please correct me if have trouble following. So, cut the negative wire before the connector and attach it to the block? While keeping the sensor attached?
Old 07-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Do not cut the wire, slip a small wire (paper clip?) into the harness connector and touch that "probing" wire to ground. I have no schematic showing that circuit, so cannot confirm which wire to be grounded.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:22 PM   #9
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Like Bill said - a paper clip or something. Here is the schematic of the switch. The other side goes to the wire that goes hot with the ignition.
Attached Images
File Type: png oil pressure sender schematic.png (20.9 KB, 64 views)
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Old 07-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #10
afskwarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Do not cut the wire, slip a small wire (paper clip?) into the harness connector and touch that "probing" wire to ground. I have no schematic showing that circuit, so cannot confirm which wire to be grounded.
Alright. Here's what I did. No changes. Hopefully, I did it right.

https://ibb.co/ckGqD6y
Old 07-21-2021, 10:31 PM   #11
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Did you take some strands off the big wire you used, so that it could reach all the way in and touch the connector contact? And, it is going into the position for the TAN wire?

If the answer is "yes" to both, then that looks fine.

You should also try measuring voltage from that TAN wire to ground (key-on). There should be some voltage there, probably 5VDC. Be sure to use a multimeter, a test light may be too much load to give an effective test of that signal circuit.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:02 AM   #12
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Totally missed that OP put LED's in. L-ight E-mitting D-iode. Diode = electrical shunt that basically means polarity matters.

The cluster bulb sized LED usually doesn't have polarity marked and even if it does...the cluster itself isn't clearly marked. If it doesn't work one way, flip it to the other. If it doesn't work the other way either then carefully screw with the 2 metal contact tabs until it works or try one of the other bulbs.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #13
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

OP: stated "It has a good bulb. I switched around the bulb in case polarity was wrong. Still didn't light up."
So, might be a bad LED.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #14
laser3kw
Advanced Member
laser3kw will become famous soon enoughlaser3kw will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1

OP should put the original OEM bulb (not LED) back in the oil pressure slot and see if it functions normally.
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #15
afskwarek

I tried about half a dozen leds, switched them around for polarity. Also tried about half a dozen regular incandescents, with two different clusters. Didn't come on with anything.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #16
afskwarek

Quote:
Did you take some strands off the big wire you used, so that it could reach all the way in and touch the connector contact? And, it is going into the position for the TAN wire?

If the answer is "yes" to both, then that looks fine.

You should also try measuring voltage from that TAN wire to ground (key-on). There should be some voltage there, probably 5VDC. Be sure to use a multimeter, a test light may be too much load to give an effective test of that signal circuit.
To answer your first paragraph. Yes for both. I did get a multimeter (set to 20dcv) and touched negative probe to block, and positive probe to the connector, while I had someone turn the ignition to run for the lamp test. I did not detect any voltage.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:50 PM   #17
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afskwarek View Post
To answer your first paragraph. Yes for both. I did get a multimeter (set to 20dcv) and touched negative probe to block, and positive probe to the connector, while I had someone turn the ignition to run for the lamp test. I did not detect any voltage.
When I look at the circuit I'd say it should be 12 volts. I don't think we have any 5 volt sources.

Since you did not see any voltage, there is an open somewhere. Either the wire, panel, bulb (which seems like you have tried a few), or some other connector.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Old 07-23-2021, 11:06 PM   #18
billr
Master Member

The MAP, TP, ECT, IAT, and EGR sensors are all powered from the 5V supply in the PCM. Still, since it is neither 5V or 12V (either is a candidate), then that end of the circuit needs to be checked; no argument there!
Old 07-24-2021, 01:00 AM   #19
afskwarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
When I look at the circuit I'd say it should be 12 volts. I don't think we have any 5 volt sources.

Since you did not see any voltage, there is an open somewhere. Either the wire, panel, bulb (which seems like you have tried a few), or some other connector.
Alright. I have the shop service manual disk and have looked all over and haven't found the schematic that includes the oil pressure switch, figured that would help. Any idea where I can find it? Cause I didn't see it in the instrument cluster schmatics. Other than that, what should I look for now?
Old 07-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #20
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
The MAP, TP, ECT, IAT, and EGR sensors are all powered from the 5V supply in the PCM. Still, since it is neither 5V or 12V (either is a candidate), then that end of the circuit needs to be checked; no argument there!
Thanks, I did not know that about the 5V. From the schematic the bulb is lit by 12V.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018