SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 11-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default Rear bumper lettering cleanup

Was poking around eBay and I came across this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25328090268...YAAOSwhshg7CRk

Unfortunately they list it as Ion only and a further search turned up nothing except Ion's.

Anyone have any ideas for removing the old lettering decals that are inside the recessed letters or maybe a cover up like what I linked? I could use my pin-stripe eraser, but I'm afraid it'll cause more harm than good since it's not on a flat surface and no amount of heat seems to be able to make the stickers pliable enough to remove.
Check out my current SL1!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268456
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Rear bumper lettering cleanup

Anything inserted into the lettering is added after the car left the factory, either by the dealership (doubtful) or a PO (very likely).

According to one of the "S-Series Gods" (lol, he'd probably hate that nick) http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=3

'00-'02 S-Series should match other Saturn's while the '91-'99's are a different size/style.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
El_bell
El_bell is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Have you considered just putting the new decal on top of the old one?
El_bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_bell View Post
Have you considered just putting the new decal on top of the old one?
That thought had come to mind, but the vinyl doesn't quite lineup with the recessed letters, though that could be age of the vinyl too if it had shifted any in all these years.

I'm gonna repost what I posted in another thread because it was meant to go here:

Well, if they weren't from the factory, then someone put in a LOT of time and effort to stencil some vinyl and fill in those letters.

I'm also wondering if they might be from the factory where the car was built, it was originally from Illinois and it went through three owners since, I'm the fourth now.

Considering what shape the car was in, I can't for the life of me imagine anyone spending the money on just THAT and nothing else. It boggles the mind.

Also attached the pic of my bumper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1146.jpg (192.5 KB, 9 views)

Old 11-22-2021, 11:47 PM   #5
El_bell
El_bell is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
That thought had come to mind, but the vinyl doesn't quite lineup with the recessed letters, though that could be age of the vinyl too if it had shifted any in all these years.

I'm gonna repost what I posted in another thread because it was meant to go here:

Well, if they weren't from the factory, then someone put in a LOT of time and effort to stencil some vinyl and fill in those letters.

I'm also wondering if they might be from the factory where the car was built, it was originally from Illinois and it went through three owners since, I'm the fourth now.

Considering what shape the car was in, I can't for the life of me imagine anyone spending the money on just THAT and nothing else. It boggles the mind.

Also attached the pic of my bumper
Guessing those where dealer installed, or one of the previous owner just really liked the look of a car with some decals. They where one of the many accessories owners used to be able to be able to buy from the Saturn Dealers when they where still around. My SL2 also has a pinstripe that was dealer installed, but no bumper letters. I do have a set of letters for the rear bumper, but I'm waiting on getting mine repainted (hopefully next year) before putting them on
El_bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #6
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

I wouldn't bother with it except the vinyl is cracking in some places and if it's anything like the old pin stripes I had to remove, it's not coming off and will damage the paint. Guess better to leave it be for now, it's cold outside anyway.