SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
slapshot 11
slapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
Default Clutch went out of my 1999 Sl1 YESTERDAY

Well, its home in the garage now, and I have printed out the instructions for the clutch replacement job, but I was just wondering if anyone on here has any up to date tips on doing this? Should I buy the complete clutch master slave system while I'm doing this? Car has 225K and usual wear. Also, there is no pic on the arrangement of 2X4's on top of the engine to hold it up from the top. I LOVE this car, and its not the cars fault this happened, the clutch is a wear item. Thanks to all of you who have helped on this project and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
slapshot 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: Clutch went out of my 1999 Sl1 YESTERDAY

Exactly what 'went out' on your clutch?

Clutches rarely fail completely without any warning. Is it just slipping? Or has it just stopped releasing grip on the flywheel?

Maybe you just need to replace the hydraulics, which is a 30m job vs a weekend job!
Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
slapshot 11
slapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1

I had the wife shift through all the gears while I observed, and no grinding noises, car goes nowhere. I was at a stoplight and accidentally put the shifter in 3rd and when it would not take off very fast, I got noise from other drivers and the wife to hurry up! so I put it into 1st, kinda revved it up somewhat more than normal, and kinda let the clutch out much faster than usual, the car revved, I heard a "snap" and from that time on there has been no connection between the engine and the drivetrain. I think the old clutch finally let go, I asked the people I bought the car from about a month ago if the clutch was ever replaced, and they said no. The lady owned it since 10K. (Almost new) I would think if the hydraulic slave/master system was compromised, I would get grinding while trying to change gears(or put the car into gear).
Old 12-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
slapshot 11

1999 SL1

It feels like I tore the center out of the clutch. I also wondered if anyone had any suggestions of any brands to stay away from on the clutch kit. I also saw the thread on the cv joint failure, and I am going to check that before pulling the trans off the motor.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Check the trans for fluid and any leaks. Another failure point is the differential pin coming out but that usually goes through the trans case somewhere leaving a hole. This is usually obvious when it happens. You can raise the vehicle and while in gear, spin one wheel and the other one also will spin. If the axle or differential pin is at fault the other wheel will be stationary.

Double check the axles and CV joints while the vehicle is raised.

My clutch let go while driving about 60 mph or so. It wouldn't go into gear and sounded like a bucket of bolts for the short (few hundred feet) distance it drove before it was immobile. I used a LUK as a replacement. The old one was also a Luk installed in 2002 due to a quill bearing leaking and contaminating the clutch. The failed Luk lasted 12 years and about 140k miles.
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot 11 View Post
It feels like I tore the center out of the clutch. I also wondered if anyone had any suggestions of any brands to stay away from on the clutch kit. I also saw the thread on the cv joint failure, and I am going to check that before pulling the trans off the motor.
I would be VERY surprised if you actually shattered the clutch disk. I have seen this happen, and its usually with very high HP/Tq situations. (not the case here)

The snap noise could have been the diff pin or a CV joint. If you clutch-pressure plate broke apart you would have partial engagment and proabably severe vibration. Oviously, you won't know for sure until until you pull it apart.

Just out of curiocity... can you verify your trans cables are actually moving the shift-shaft on the side of the tranny? I know you would have probably caught this already, but maybe the shifter bushing (in the console) or the cable end retaining clip (backside of tranny) has come loose leaving you floundering in neutral. ????

enough speculation... You will want a Luk clutch (oem). That is the tried and true part. Several sources, but I got my last one from Pep Boyz (AAP and AZ did not carry it). I found an online coupon code for the 'Boyz' and got the whole kit for around $135. Unless you have a friend nearby with a machine shop, just get a new flywheel. They have them as AAP for ~$40 with the typical 20% online discount. I have used two of these, and they worked out great!
Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
hholbein
hholbein is just really nicehholbein is just really nicehholbein is just really nicehholbein is just really nice

1997 SW2

I'd carefully check the CV joint *shafts* on both sides from axle to differential to see if one of them has snapped in half when you applied a lot of torque to it. If you check posts on SF, you'll see quite a few mentions of this condition in rust-belt states (such as MI) due to corrosion of the shaft -- usually in the vicinity of the harmonic balancer.

It's too bad the OEM CV joints weren't fabricated to be more corrosion resistant.

Let us know what you find.....
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

You didn't toast the clutch, check the differential pin and axles as one of those is what did break.

I know some immature idiot who might've held the engine at the 4k neutral rev limiter and side-stepped the clutch before (reinforced differential, don't try at home), no breakage whatsoever. My money is on the axle.
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
slapshot 11

1999 SL1

Thank all you guys for your responses, I had to park the car and go out of town for a couple of days and just got back. I have another car to drive so I am going to look at the cv joints first thing next week.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
slapshot 11

1999 SL1

Since the consensus of opinions seem to agree my problem is driveshaft related, is their any difference between manual and automatic driveshafts? (I should know when inquiring at a junkyard)
Old 12-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Advance Auto shows the same part# for both an '01 SC2 (auto) and an '02 SL1 (manual).

They are $68 and $67. Until the end of the month, you can get 20% off + a $50 gift cert. So thats $108 out the door, and only $58 after you cash in the $50.

I doubt you will get much better pricing from a junk yard.
Mark
Old 12-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Pricing may be similar, but those China made CV shafts are garbage. I wish Advance offered a higher quality axle.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
Pricing may be similar, but those China made CV shafts are garbage. I wish Advance offered a higher quality axle.
Theres no guarantee that what you get from the junkyard will be any better! All you know for sure, is that they have some mileage on them.

Do you have a recommendation? Where do you get your axles from?
Mark
Old 12-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Advance Auto shows the same part# for both an '01 SC2 (auto) and an '02 SL1 (manual).

They are $68 and $67. Until the end of the month, you can get 20% off + a $50 gift cert. So thats $108 out the door, and only $58 after you cash in the $50.

I doubt you will get much better pricing from a junk yard.

TRT41 gets you 40% off orders of $100+. I've used this coupon at least 20 times over the last year or so.

I've had no problems with my AAP CV axles. They don't hold up well to pulling, but I just make sure to go easy on them if I'm taking them out.

Shawn
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
TRT41 gets you 40% off orders of $100+. I've used this coupon at least 20 times over the last year or so.

I've had no problems with my AAP CV axles. They don't hold up well to pulling, but I just make sure to go easy on them if I'm taking them out.

Shawn
Yea! I can usually do better than the 20% off I quoted. That was just a worse-case scenario for a fair comparison the a parts yard. I have found that not all U-pull parts are a good deal when compared to the AAP cost that comes with a warantee.

I personally have not used any of the AAP axle shafts on my saturns, but they do offer more than one brand and would not hesitate to use them if I needed to.

The "chineese stuff is junk" comment is way off the mark. There is good and bad stuff comming out of China. But you can junk made in the USA too, so I don't just write off all the Chinese stuff like some do.
Mark
Old 12-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #16
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Theres no guarantee that what you get from the junkyard will be any better! All you know for sure, is that they have some mileage on them.

Do you have a recommendation? Where do you get your axles from?
I'm near Detroit and there are tons of machine shops that specialize in axles so I got my OEM ones remaníed. If rebuilding isnít an option, Cardone makes pretty good axles that sell for $45 on rockauto.com. If youíre not too worried about quality, Advance Auto will be your place.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
I'm near Detroit and there are tons of machine shops that specialize in axles so I got my OEM ones remaníed. If rebuilding isnít an option, Cardone makes pretty good axles that sell for $45 on rockauto.com. If youíre not too worried about quality, Advance Auto will be your place.
Keep in mind.... We still don't know exactly what wrong with the OP's car.

One suggestion was the salt/rust can cause axle shaft weakening and breakage. If thats a reall issue, I would steer away from a rebuilt shaft using a high mileage core from the same area.

Never said, I was not concerened with parts quality. I just don't subscribe to your assertion that all parts from Advance are "junk". You did not site any specifics or data when you claimed my suggestion was a bad idea. I get parts for my cars from several sources and try to balance the cost v quality as much as possible. I have no problem paying a little more for a better part if there is a good reason. (ie: Luk clutch, fuel filter/reg, upper motor mount etc) I think your 'cardone axle at $45' is a good value as long as shipping is not outrageous.
Mark
Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
slapshot 11

1999 SL1

Tomorrow morning I'm going to get the car up on the jackstands. Any more thoughts about which axles to buy? I am about 20 min NW of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
Macgyver
Advanced Member

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Never said, I was not concerened with parts quality. I just don't subscribe to your assertion that all parts from Advance are "junk".
When did I say all parts from Advance were junk?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
slapshot 11

1999 SL1

Well, guys, I found the problem. You were mostly right, the right axle fractured on the far right end just before the CV joint. I have the whole mess out and my new (not rebuilt) axle/CV assy will be here at 7:30 tomorrow morning. I really miss the 34 mpg of this car, my
Ranger this time of year only gets 17 mpg or so. Thank all of you that took the time to answer, I really appreciate it. I hope all of you have a very Happy New Year!!