SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 11-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really nice

2002 SL2
2002 SL2
Default Key Won't Turn To Off Position At Times. Key Comes Out In Run.

Sorry, As I stated in another thread, my phone won't let me search the forum threads for some reason w/out the keyboard disappearing, so I have to re-post this if it's been discussed before. My key just started not always turning to the off position (Only to acc) and the key comes out of the ignition with it in the Run position, til I turn it on and off a few times I can get it to turn to off. I'm assuming for one, the key or cylinder's worn, or something in the safety system is failing. I saw a video on YouTube of a Saturn with the same similar issue. The uploader stated that the WIN module was the culprit. Any idea's ?
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Key Won't Turn To Off Position At Times. Key Comes Out In Run.

Did you try using your spare (unused) ignition key? Ignition keys tend to wear out before lock cylinders. If no spare key, get a key made from GM as they use vehicle VIN to reproduce keys. It may be wiser to try a new key before determining whether or not the lock cylinder is worn.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #3
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Key Won't Turn To Off Position At Times. Key Comes Out - the old key trick Run.

hi chaz and fdryer- had this same problem 10 years ago with my 01 L100. figured first the key was worn out. tried the spare key and no soap. figured then the cylinder was worn out. although i could still get it to work by jiggling and cussing wanted to correct it since my old stickshift saturn L had been panned by better homes and gardens mag. went to my local junkyard and among the totaled out Ls , i found a remarkably nice one, an L 300. it had a packaged new cylinder , key and washer in the glove compartment. must have been bought by the owner before it was wrecked. bought it for $5(chevrolet dealer wanted $80 for it and $180 labor- made him a counter offer which shocked the shyster). replaced it myself with the junkyard part in 1 hour by removing the top and bottom covers from the steering column (two screws, i think). has worked fine since. only downside is separate keys for ignition and doors/trunk.used haynes manual and you tube. gave new cylinder key slot 1 shot of wd40 too. think pins(4 or 5 in cylinder) worn out. other downside was my enemies said i was impecunious and had a bad attitude. feelings were hurt. regards bob f
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:40 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I concur with fdryer regarding use of an unused spare key before attempting to replace the lock cylinder. After about 19 years my original key had worn down far enough that it could be removed from the lock cylinder regardless of its position. I replaced it with my unused spare key and no longer had that problem.
372K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really nice

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

The key is a new one. The original wasn't with it when it was bought. There's only one key and I got a remote for it awhile after. I'm not positive it's the cylinder when I believe other issues may cause this. I don't know how many issues could actually be causing it. I'm not planning on having it serviced at labor rates today. I just hope it doesnt come to the place that I can't shut it off.
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

A copy of a worn out key is still a worn out key. I go to GM and show the title and the parts department will cut a new key by factory code. They will let you try the new key and if it solves your problems buy a couple more. These cars are teenagers or older now so wear items like keys are showing their age.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #7
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I agree with LW. My son's L300 when we first bought it, had issues with the ignition and keys. We took it to the GM dealer. We had to have a new ignition cylinder and a new key. If I remember rightly, the key was like $32.00, so I told my son keep that as the 'master' key and don;t use it. Instead he had two more keys cut at a local locksmith for like $7.00 each. The blanks were ILCO, which is a very reputable brand. After that we had no further issues.

My son sold the car this week and I reminded him to include the master key we had purchased. It was a genuine SATURN key, with the Saturn logo on the plastic top. You cannot get those new at any price now.

If you have to replace the remote (they are cheap online BUT you can get them programmed by the GM dealer.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote