SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
JDCastellanos
JDCastellanos is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Ran over a deer, exhaust problem?

The other day I ran over a deer. Going about 60 mph by the time I saw the deer on the road it was too late, i was able to steer a little to the left but I still ran it over, the only thing that was damaged (that I was able to see externally) was the front air deflector flap thing (not exactly sure on the name), anyways that was an easy fix, just replacing a couple springs. I haven't noticed really much difference in drive aside from the increase in vehicle noise . Not exactly sure what is causing this but whenever I step on the gas the car gets loud and sounds like I have a bigger exhaust (but not in a good way) I know this isn't the best description but it's a little hard without posting a video with sound or something. Continuing I opened up the trunk to see if I could see some damage or anything that out of place, I couldn't find a thing. But I had a friend give the car some gas and it sounds like the loud exhaust type noise is coming from beneath the engine. The best way I could describe this would be: after my friend gave it some gas it sounded like a quiet misfire type sound mixed with like kickback that you hear in sports cars, but it didn't sound good.
Sorry about the poor descriptions but any ideas what could've happened/ what's wrong with the car? Also when I start it up its louder than usual. Thanks.
JDCastellanos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
marko16
marko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Ran over a deer, exhaust problem?

I was reading over on a Deer forum where this deer posted about getting run over and he thinks he damaged the car's muffler
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko16 View Post
I was reading over on a Deer forum where this deer posted about getting run over and he thinks he damaged the car's muffler
That's a smart deer- should be a mechanic.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
That's a smart deer- should be a mechanic.
Smart deer - is that a play on Smart Cars? Oh dear this post is exhausting!

1999 SL2 MT (299,400 km @ 11/2021)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

JDCastellanos, since you're noticing a louder exhaust, did you try jacking up the front end and looking under the car? If you ran over a deer and it went under the car, any damage is likely under the car where the deer wound up. No one here can tell you where the damage occurred since everyone here is imagining the damage. You're in the only position to see where damage occurred........
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
JDCastellanos

2002 SL1

I have and I haven't been able to notice any damage, I don't think it is the muffler that's damaged because the sound in coming from the front, when I'm driving I can here it towards the front, in the middle of the car, I inspected the muffler and it looks fine
Old 05-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #7
cdxhizors
Advanced Member
cdxhizors has a spectacular aura aboutcdxhizors has a spectacular aura about

1999 SW2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Flex pipe might have gotten ripped apart.
cdxhizors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

If the exhaust system was replaced prior to the accident, secondary muffler shops do not like to install a replacement for the little downpipe support on the transmission. If so, the downpipe was supported by the exhaust manifold alone. If the downpipe contacted the deer, then the force could have very well ripped the entire front off of the engine leaving the pistons exposed to corrosion.
OK, not really, but...you need to look at the downpipe, the flex and the exhaust manifold.
Some recommend spraying plenty of soapy water over everything and hooking an air source (leaf-blower) to the end of the exhaust outlet. Pressurizing the exhaust system with the leaf-blower will cause soap bubbles to form at the location of the leak. Bubbles spell troubles.
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

in the absence of a leaf blower, many shop-vacs can be reversed and function as blowers, and conveniently have a 2" hose, which probably fits in/over the exhaust nicely
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 AM   #10
JDCastellanos

2002 SL1

How easy is it to replace a flex pipe?
Old 05-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #11
JDCastellanos

2002 SL1

Also, if it is one of these problems previously said, if I decide to ignore the problem(s) will these exhaust issues lead to bigger issues in the future or can I live without fixing them and deal with the noise?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:42 AM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A broken flex pipe may affect the downstream O2 sensor if the damaged flex is upstream of it. Whether or not an error code pops up depends on the size of the leak.

I replaced one of two flex pipes in my L300, the front one that's only three inches long (from weld to weld). http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219074. This is one way to repair flex pipes. Its been about a month and no leaks or exhaust noise.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote