SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
tgparker
tgparker is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1
Default 97 SW1 Belt idler pulley wheel sleeve sheared off

Part of a larger problem on my 97 SW1 was that the belt idler pulley wheel was wobbling badly and making noise intermittently...

When I removed the old badly worn belt idler pulley wheel, I found that the bearing sleeve was sheered off.

Luckily there was enough meat and thread inside the sleeve housing and I was able to replace the new belt idler pulley wheel and I replaced the broken piece of the sleeve also.

Of course the new belt idler pulley is not running true and squeaking.

I need to find some way to extract the remaining bit of the sleeve and then locate a proper belt idler pulley wheel sleeve to replace it with.

The next question how to do all this without completely removing the engine?

Maybe I need to start a separate thread for this issue?

Ideas?
tgparker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2016, 12:58 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 97 SW1 Belt idler pulley wheel sleeve sheared off

The "correct" fix is replacing the timing cover, which on a scale of 1 to fun it's about a -2.

If there's enough of the boss left you might get away with putting JB Weld or a stronger epoxy on the joint and using the bolt to set it overnight/24hrs.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
tgparker

1997 SW1

Yep that's the part. I was hoping that there was a "fix" that wouldn't require me removing the timing cover plate. Your idea of using JB weld sounds like a plan.

If I can get the engine jacked high enough to give me enough access to glue the part properly in place.

BTW do you have the correct name and or part number on a 1997 SW1, for the "timing cover plate" that I can try to locate the part at a JY or elsewhere?

Thanks,
Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
cdxhizors
Advanced Member
cdxhizors has a spectacular aura aboutcdxhizors has a spectacular aura about

1999 SW2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It's a junkyard item usually. Not a fun job at all if you end up doing it. If you do, the oil pump is built into the cover so make sure to replace/rebuild it.
cdxhizors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
tgparker

1997 SW1

GM/Saturn calls the part "COVER. Engine Front Cover, Part number 21008543".

I'm hoping that there is some way to repair/replace the mounting boss/sleeve without have to do all that work. from the GM parts list it doesn't look like the mounting boss/sleeve is supplied as a separate part...

However the car is at 144k and there are other items might need to be replaced anyway so if I'm going to open up this can of worms, I might as well replace the timing chain, water pump, oil pump. etc...
Old 02-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

Gator back belts don't squeak.
Something to do with the slots cut into the grooves.
I don't know how badly misaligned is your pulley?

I fixed a squeaking 4 cylinder Contour using Gator belt.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #7
tgparker

1997 SW1

Well the JB weld idea didn't work but there seems to bee enough meat in the boss/sleeve to keep the idler wheel on and steady long enough I hope to get me to the junkyard or find someone who can/part me out the Timing Cover.

GM/Saturn calls it:

"COVER. Engine Front Cover, Part number 21008543"
Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The SOHC is easier to find and cheaper. This will find one close: http://car-part.com/index.htm

If that fails You can CALL these guys and they will ship one. http://www.saturnautosalvage.com/

Any SOHC 92-02 fits. Be sure to change your oil pump while it is apart and the timing set.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
tgparker

1997 SW1

Thanks!

Found 3 places more or less close...

Talk about mission creep...

At 140k probably needs a new water pump and oil pump replaced...
Old 02-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
tgparker

1997 SW1

Thanks!

BTW which years would fit this 97 SW1 SOHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The SOHC is easier to find and cheaper. This will find one close: http://car-part.com/index.htm

If that fails You can CALL these guys and they will ship one. http://www.saturnautosalvage.com/

Any SOHC 92-02 fits. Be sure to change your oil pump while it is apart and the timing set.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
tgparker

1997 SW1

Silly me I saw your comment

91-02...

Will I need a replacement gasket for the timing cover?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgparker View Post
Thanks!

Found 3 places more or less close...

Talk about mission creep...

At 140k probably needs a new water pump and oil pump replaced...
The water pump can be replaced when it leaks with the cover in place the oil pump is a 25$ part Melling brand works and local parts should have it. Timing set is probably a good idea as well. I bought 1 of these for a DOHC and they look good, that is all I know except anything you find is being made in some Asian country so this is probably as good or bad as any other. http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-98-Saturn...oAAOSwEppUUnKg Price is right.

Search eBay for Melling K-196 and take your pick, 25$ delivered is what you want to pay. Autozone sometimes has them and may be lower cost. You will need some red locktite for the screws and will have to heat the old ones to get the cover off.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #13
tgparker

1997 SW1

TY for the info. Will I need a replacement gasket or seal for the timing cover?

Quote:
The water pump can be replaced when it leaks with the cover in place the oil pump is a 25$ part Melling brand works and local parts should have it. Timing set is probably a good idea as well. I bought 1 of these for a DOHC and they look good, that is all I know except anything you find is being made in some Asian country so this is probably as good or bad as any other. http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-98-Saturn...oAAOSwEppUUnKg Price is right.

Search eBay for Melling K-196 and take your pick, 25$ delivered is what you want to pay. Autozone sometimes has them and may be lower cost. You will need some red locktite for the screws and will have to heat the old ones to get the cover off.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:54 PM   #14
tgparker

1997 SW1

Here's a question: I managed to re-attach the boss/sleeve/peg and the new idler pulley. There seemed to be enough meat on what was left of the boss/sleeve/peg inside the timing cover to allow me to attach the idler wheel fairly securely.

I turned the engine on at let it run for a couple of minutes and there wasn't any noise coming from the idler pulley.

I'm going to order a replacement timing cover from a JY tomorrow...

How long do you think the new idler pulley with the broken boss/sleeve/peg will last? Quick death or slow death?

Will it last long enough to allow me to drive around and get other parts and tools etc...

Quote:

Old 02-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #15
tgparker

1997 SW1

Which number/style Gatorback Belt is best?
4050780 Goodyear Gatorback/Continental Elite Serpentine Belt
http://r.ebay.com/rteCY5

OR

4050755 Goodyear Gatorback/Continental Elite Serpentine Belt
http://r.ebay.com/SSPr4H

I also found Dayco Poly Cog Serpentine Belt 5050755
http://r.ebay.com/YYAxvr

It has the cog type ribs on it like the Gatorback belts.

What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Gator back belts don't squeak.
Something to do with the slots cut into the grooves.
I don't know how badly misaligned is your pulley?

I fixed a squeaking 4 cylinder Contour using Gator belt.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:05 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Any of them are fine, just get the correct size. It is hard to really foul up one of these belts.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #17
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Post Re: 97 SW1 Belt idler pulley wheel sleeve sheared off

How long do you think the new idler pulley with the broken boss/sleeve/peg will last? Quick death or slow death?

I have a 1995 Sl1 and I have been running approx 75,000 on a broken idler mount which is just threaded in with the bolt no JB Weld. YMMV.

1995 SL1 220,790 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 53,423 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #18
tgparker

1997 SW1

TY, I drove to the post office to pick up some parts. The idler pulley wheel was quiet, no noise...no incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGW View Post

I have a 1995 Sl1 and I have been running approx 75,000 on a broken idler mount which is just threaded in with the bolt no JB Weld. YMMV.

1995 SL1 220,790 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 53,423 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #19
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Perhaps this fix can help address the main issues in your other post (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215105). With your car seeming to run correctly, the broken tensioner post may have allowed less alternator output that caused the mystery problems with the battery supplying all the power. If the other post is answered by this repair, your comments would be appreciated if you decide this repair has a direct relation and warrants closing out the thread.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #20
tgparker

1997 SW1

There were two problems. Belt Idler Pulley boss/sleeve/mount/peg sheared off and idler pulley running rough, AND Alternator running rough and putting out low output.

Removed Alternator, and determined bearings were shot. Too cold to continue today. Will replace Alternator tomorrow. Weather forecast says Saturday will be warmer...

Also found replacement Engine Front/Timing Cover & ordered from JY. Also ordered replacement Timing Chain/Gear Kit, and Oil Pump.

Found new DB electric 105 Amp. Alternator on eBay.
http://r.ebay.com/51xzj8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Perhaps this fix can help address the main issues in your other post (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215105). With your car seeming to run correctly, the broken tensioner post may have allowed less alternator output that caused the mystery problems with the battery supplying all the power. If the other post is answered by this repair, your comments would be appreciated if you decide this repair has a direct relation and warrants closing out the thread.