SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 06-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
EditEd4TV
EditEd4TV is a jewel in the roughEditEd4TV is a jewel in the roughEditEd4TV is a jewel in the rough

Default Verifying 2004 Vue BCM issue

I need some help with what I believe to be a bad BCM.

I was parked in the street, just started my Vue and sitting in idle, when all of a sudden my AC kicked in louder, which means I've turned off the AC and I'm just blowing air. Then I tried to turn it back on and the light was dead. I look at my dash and all the lights are dead. Suddenly they came back on. A few seconds later they are out. Then a few seconds later just a few of them come back on.

I figured I better get my car into my driveway and into the shade so I can figure it all out. I had to make a U-Turn and discovered my power steering was going out as well. Some things were unaffected such as headlights, seat warmer, blower motor. Not sure about the wipers or the horn.

I did a bit of research here and other places online and it looks as though this may be the BCM (Body Control Module). I took apart my console and accessed the BCM which has 4 multi-pin modular connections. I didn't unplug them but I wiggled and stressed all the cables back and forth. It didn't help.

So... does this sound like the BCM? Any other suggestions for diagnosis and/or possibly a repair? I found some people mentioned leaving the vehicle with a disconnected battery for a while, so it resets something?

I've found a replacement on Amazon for about $215 I think? But of course this requires I take it to a shop and they need to program it with my VIN and a few other things. Would a shop be willing to do that portion of the fix if I'm perfectly capable of the actual physical removal and installation? - probably not. Any help or insight would be much appreciated - thanks!
EditEd4TV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
tcndeb
tcndeb will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Verifying 2004 Vue BCM issue

Just for starters I would unplug the connectors and plug them back in. Doing so will scrap the connectors and can help get a better connection. If any of the plugs look dirty you can hit them with some electric contact cleaner.
'04 Base Model Vue, 2.2, 5 Speed
tcndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
EditEd4TV
EditEd4TV is a jewel in the roughEditEd4TV is a jewel in the roughEditEd4TV is a jewel in the rough

Sorry for the late reply - my notifications must be off. I accessed the BCM and disconnected everything and let it sit for a few minutes, then reconnected. The problems were still there.

But hereís something interesting I discovered this morning while driving: my OBDII module was showing a voltage of 18.6 volts. Now I understand my battery is 12v, and at times Iíve seen the alternator throwing out 13+ volts, but almost 19v seems very strange. Not sure if the reading was from the alternator directly, or from the battery, or elsewhere?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Notifications are off by default. You must enable notifications and either use the default Saturnfans email and/or add other email addresses to be alerted to replies. Default notifications will be highlighted in the right upper box under your name in Private Messages but won't be sent to your email address unless you add it under your Control Panel (CP) tabs.

2-The majority of regulated voltages peak @15vdc briefly, right after startup. The average output is regulated to around 14.5vdc, approximately 2 volts higher as the alternator supplies all the electrical needs of a vehicle while recharging the battery. The voltage displayed on your obd reader is presumed measured at the input source of battery/alternator voltage in wiring to the bcm (nothing special in measuring voltage to reflect overall system voltages). If you see 18v on your reader, this can be a concern as higher than 15vdc may present electrical issues that can damage electrical/electronic systems. It would be wise to measure voltages several times with a digital multimeter; before startup to determine standby battery voltage, at ignition on time, after startup and after a period of driving. On standby and with ignition on engine off, battery voltage should be around 12.5vdc. After startup, voltage may spike to 15vdc but should return to around 14.5vdc as the alternator regulator narrows voltage and current output to meet parameters. Voltage measuring with a multimeter can be connected anywhere; battery, auxiliary power outlet, etc. Digital multimeters are usually accurate. Even with voltage measurements, there may be an unusual alternator issue with output outside design range.

Very few discussions about the six diodes used to rectify ac to dc voltages are brought up. If one diode fails, voltage regulation is altered and may not be detected with two exceptions, radio and ac voltage measurement. All radios are designed to filter out stray radio frequencies that color sound output. Hissing or varying whining sounds going up and down in sync with engine rpm indicates possible alternator issues. Measuring ac voltage is another method. Ac voltage can damage electronics. Ac voltage below 100 millivolts or 0.100 vac is acceptable. Above 100 mv may be indicating a voltage regulation problem with the alternator.

3-Verify any battery/alternator issues before concluding bcm issues since all electronics depend on a regulated power source operating between 10-15vdc. The lower voltage occurs when the starter draws high current during starting, lowering battery voltage for the brief time starters are used without harm to electronics.

Last edited by fdryer; 06-14-2021 at 02:42 PM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:21 PM   #5
Nickster914
Nickster914 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcndeb View Post
Just for starters I would unplug the connectors and plug them back in. Doing so will scrap the connectors and can help get a better connection. If any of the plugs look dirty you can hit them with some electric contact cleaner.
Had a bad BCM in our 2003 Vue. Had every dash light on then off, then on. power steering sometimes going out, rpm gauge going crazy. Still ran fine though. Bought a used one off eBay. It works but now the airbag light is on. I think you have to find a Vue that has all the EXACT same options and it should work.
Nickster914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
EditEd4TV

Thanks to all for your input, it honestly helped me narrow down and diagnose the issues I was having. I boiled it all down to the alternator and ordered a Denso 210-0546 for about $220. My son installed it for me on Fatherís Day which was very nice of him. It solved all the problems. Thankfully it appears as though all those moments of 18.5-19.0v spikes did not damage anything (so far). Thanks again for all the help everyone.