SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings

Old 05-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #1
MyerShift
MyerShift is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Hello! Freshly Minted Here

Good day to you all!

I'm new here (obviously) and haven't regularly posted on any auto forum in years. I used to be an OSV level poster at Cheers and Gears way back in the day, but I can't even access that account anymore. I probably won't post much here unless looking for information I haven't been able to locate via searching the forum. I'll be mostly lurking!

I recently purchased (March 2021) a 2007 Saturn ION 2 2.2 5-speed in black with grey interior. I selected the car partially on affordability, but also from the generally positive reviews and good experiences of owners and the durability of GM's Ecotec engines. I also wished to dip back into the American car fold and thought it fitting to choose one of the oddest modern American cars. (I'm currently working on an old K car as a project).
My primary car is a 2016 Toyota Corolla S Premium purchased new in March of 2016 and currently has over 158,000 miles on it. I have every single receipt for all regular maintenance and any other service the car has had completed (darn deer and other critters abound in Michigan) in chronological order in a file.
Being meticulous about having maintenance done even though I don't always do things myself (lack of proper tools, time, know-how), I'm beginning the process of having deferred maintenance items taken care of the my new to me ION.
The ION has 178,000+ miles and does have a new clutch. A pre-purchase inspection showed the underbody is practically like new and that its most pressing needs are the sway bar bushings/end links, a small leak from the transmission case (needs a seal replacement), and the coolant hoses and accessory drive belt due to age. The shift lever is also improperly stiff moving through the gates and occasionally first is finicky about engaging properly.
Mostly, I need to try and refurbish the interior. I suspect at least one of the two previous owners to me were very large due to the way the seat is very squished and splayed with the frame right under the fabric on the right side of the driver seat. I also am looking to replace (or remove and refinish) the shift knob because the chrome is all gone from the cap and the silver metallic is all rubbed off just below that and the shift boot which is completely peeled of its vinyl coating and I'm having trouble finding replacements whether new, refurbished, or salvage yard.
I have replaced the fuel rail Schrader valve myself because it started leaking and was missing its cap.
The driver side front door speaker is dead and it seems replacing them is straight forward so I'll do both fronts together with better units.
Recently, it developed an issue with intermittently functioning temp gauge and I'm not sure if loose connection or dying sensor, but the check engine light illuminated the day after the gauge quit working and the cooling fans on the radiator are working overtime right now as what I presume to be a fail-safe and I have an appointment for that too.
I'm essentially sorting the mechanicals primarily on what is my secondary, back-up car.

That's the short and quick of it, and I look forward to reading others' experiences and knowledge of these little cars. I feel most of the folks here seem more pleasant that those that I have encountered on VWVortex or Toyota Nation. (Yeah, previous VW owner in 2008. Brand new Golf/Rabbit MKV and still a nightmare).

Cheers!

Steve
MyerShift is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Happy Re: Hello! Freshly Minted Here

Welcome aboard! Got any good pictures of your Saturn? Let me know if you need anything. See you around the site!

Charlie
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:19 AM   #3
MyerShift
MyerShift is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Hello! Freshly Minted Here

Thank you sir!
I do not yet have any pictures of my Ion yet, but that is a capital idea.
Thank you so much for your availability and all the work you do Charlie. I'm sure it's a labour of love!

Steve
MyerShift is offline   Reply With Quote