SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 10-31-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L
Dizzy Car Rear End Knocking 20-55mph (Saturn Vue AWD 3.5L 2007)

Hi,

I am wondering if somebody knows what this hollow sounding knock is? From inside the cabin, it sounds like somebody is knocking on the body of the car. From underneath the car, it sounds like a slight clattering sound.

I made a video here from 3 different places and edited it all together. See here: https://youtu.be/x0uVS3nNhtY

It doesn't 'seem' to have any notable pattern or become worse/better with cornering. When I hit the freeway at 65mph+, the problem goes away completely; not one single knock. It doesnt 'seem' to change pattern or pitch with road bumps.

Symptoms:
- Hollow knock from rear end. Driving doesn't appear to be affected.
- 20-55mph it seems. Freeway driving has no knocking at all

What I have noticed:
- Exhaust components look sturdy. I have shook it in various places, cannot reproduce any sound
- Drive shaft is not currently present/installed. I removed it 3 weeks prior.
- Cannot re-create noise at full stop by pushing car up and down
or shaking the car/wheel side to side. I jumped up and down on the rear bumper. It seems really smooth. I also pushed the car side to side and also grabbed each rear wheel and shook them side to side. I cant seem to make any noise.
- Rear axle nuts are tight

I was going to tie a Go Pro underneath so I could see a bit better. I will do that if I can't figure it out to try and get a better look around. I didn't fancy putting my phone on a selfie stick and poking it under the car at speed.

Thanks for help in advance
Saturn Vue 2007 AWD 3.5L V6 - Honda J35S1/GM L66 Engine
GinkoSolutions.com
seansaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Car Rear End Knocking 20-55mph (Saturn Vue AWD 3.5L 2007)

Is the Vue an AWD model?
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L

Yes, its in the post title already and in my sig also
GinkoSolutions.com
Old 11-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Sounds like exhaust tapping the frame. If it has a sway bar, check the links and bushings.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:59 PM   #5
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

I thought the same thing about the exhaust
I have shaken the exhaust like crazy, its not touching anything.
The rubber exhaust clips are all in tact and strong.

The sway bar, both rubber mounting bushings are really good.

The sway bar links have some gaps in them. I think that might be it!! It looks like a gap of 7mm or so on the drivers side and 3mm on the passenger side. No idea how these got there unless the boot squished inward I have no idea how that could have happened. I tried to tighten the nut down with an allen key in the end but it wont budge. The rubber looks a little worn on the bottom from the dry heat here, so i think ill order a set and see if that fixes it!

Thank you for the suggestion. I've been crawling over this car and shaking everything like crazy for a couple of hours or so. I guess I didnt look hard enough.

I'll update soon
GinkoSolutions.com
Old 11-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansaturn View Post
Yes, its in the post title already and in my sig also
I have sigs turned off, anyway there's a bearing that eventually goes bad on the drive shaft that could start knocking over time.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2 Ride View Post
I have sigs turned off, anyway there's a bearing that eventually goes bad on the drive shaft that could start knocking over time.
Except,

Quote:

What I have noticed:
- Exhaust components look sturdy. I have shook it in various places, cannot reproduce any sound
- Drive shaft is not currently present/installed. I removed it 3 weeks prior.
- Cannot re-create noise at full stop by pushing car up and down
or shaking the car/wheel side to side. I jumped up and down on the rear bumper. It seems really smooth. I also pushed the car side to side and also grabbed each rear wheel and shook them side to side. I cant seem to make any noise.
- Rear axle nuts are tight
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #8
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Except,
Ah yeah, I see. So was it knocking before he pulled the drive shaft? Like maybe it's coming from the differential?
Old 11-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Ah yeah, I see. So was it knocking before he pulled the drive shaft? Like maybe it's coming from the differential?
What is going on? I'm really confused by your mis-understanding. Are you trolling me?? lol

1.Video title says: Dizzy Car Rear End Knocking 20-55mph (Saturn Vue AWD 3.5L 2007)

2.Drive shaft is not currently present/installed. I removed it 3 weeks prior.. Prior means before, you know, before the symptoms.

3. Then I mentioned above that I found gaps in the sway bar links and I would report back

I think i've been had here!
GinkoSolutions.com
Old 11-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #10
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
What is going on? I'm really confused by your mis-understanding. Are you trolling me?? lol

1.Video title says: Dizzy Car Rear End Knocking 20-55mph (Saturn Vue AWD 3.5L 2007)

2.Drive shaft is not currently present/installed. I removed it 3 weeks prior.. Prior means before, you know, before the symptoms.

3. Then I mentioned above that I found gaps in the sway bar links and I would report back

I think i've been had here!
I don't see the update anywhere? Are you saying you found the problem? If so you could inform us, and I'll stop thinking about the possibilities.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I don't see the update anywhere? Are you saying you found the problem? If so you could inform us, and I'll stop thinking about the possibilities.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...28&postcount=5
Please read above. Its already been mentioned.
GinkoSolutions.com
Old 11-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...28&postcount=5
Please read above. Its already been mentioned.
Let me help you with the part you seem to keep missing:

"I'll update soon".
Old 11-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #13
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

My kid has a rear broken coil spring. I think 1 end loop is snapped. Barely effects ride height. And I think 1 of the rear sway bar links is broke? I believe it is plastic? Kinda forget after doing all 4 wheel bearings. Ordered front links for my ride. 1 is gm and is about 1/2 dia bar? Was on discount for $6. The other is std quality and it is 3/8 dia? Seems like a toy. Glad I did not get the economy model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7048B823-C737-452A-B1B9-70CB50FB8AF8.jpeg (40.5 KB, 9 views)
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #14
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
My kid has a rear broken coil spring. I think 1 end loop is snapped. Barely effects ride height. And I think 1 of the rear sway bar links is broke? I believe it is plastic? Kinda forget after doing all 4 wheel bearings. Ordered front links for my ride. 1 is gm and is about 1/2 dia bar? Was on discount for $6. The other is std quality and it is 3/8 dia? Seems like a toy. Glad I did not get the economy model.
Broken spring tips is one of the things I was going to suggest for op.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:08 AM   #15
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Sounds like exhaust tapping the frame. If it has a sway bar, check the links and bushings.
Installed two new stabilizer bar end links, works a treat! Thank you!

Something useful for others:
The OEM links have a 6-point torx 27 hole to keep the bolt steady in the knuckle. I only had 12 point torx allen keys which didnt fit without ruining my bits. But I did have a 6 point t-27 bit for a cheap screwdriver. So I put the hex end of the bit into a 6.5mm standard hex socket which fits snug, and then used my socket wrench to keep it still.

When replacing both links, I loosened the 15mm bolts on the insulator brackets of the stabilizer bar. That allowed me to attach the links evenly at each without any stress on the insulators.

Quote:
Let me help you with the part you seem to keep missing:

"I'll update soon".
I said that on the 2nd nov, its now the 8th nov. In that time, I have to: order parts, wait for them to arrive, find a day with good weather and then install them I have family, kids, pets, work... Something to consider before making snide remarks. I could make a return dig about you not reading post titles, asking questions which have been addressed in the OP and threads later on and randomly ranting on, but I just don't have the time nor patience.
GinkoSolutions.com

Last edited by seansaturn; 11-09-2020 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:27 PM   #16
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Installed two new stabilizer bar end links, works a treat! Thank you!

Something useful for others:
The OEM links have a 6-point torx 27 hole to keep the bolt steady in the knuckle. I only had 12 point torx allen keys which didnt fit without ruining my bits. But I did have a 6 point t-27 bit for a cheap screwdriver. So I put the hex end of the bit into a 6.5mm standard hex socket which fits snug, and then used my socket wrench to keep it still.

When replacing both links, I loosened the 15mm bolts on the insulator brackets of the stabilizer bar. That allowed me to attach the links evenly at each without any stress on the insulators.

I said that on the 2nd nov, its now the 8th nov. In that time, I have to: order parts, wait for them to arrive, find a day with good weather and then install them I have family, kids, pets, work... Something to consider before making snide remarks. I could make a return dig about you not reading post titles, asking questions which have been addressed in the OP and threads later on and randomly ranting on, but I just don't have the time nor patience.
lol, so self unaware.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:58 AM   #17
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Hi,

I am wondering if somebody knows what this hollow sounding knock is? From inside the cabin, it sounds like somebody is knocking on the body of the car. From underneath the car, it sounds like a slight clattering sound.

I made a video here from 3 different places and edited it all together. See here: https://youtu.be/x0uVS3nNhtY

I was going to tie a Go Pro underneath so I could see a bit better. I will do that if I can't figure it out to try and get a better look around. I didn't fancy putting my phone on a selfie stick and poking it under the car at speed.

Thanks for help in advance
Unlike mine has a pattern.

Oscillating thudding Right Rear

Clean underneath...

I had the heat shields also clattering. Impressive video, where did you find a daredevil to hang under the car, I need to borrow him!
Angry White Planet Ohth.... The REAL "Salt Life"!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote